So, so, very happy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IngridK

Reaction score
I have tried a few batches of solid soap and I was either soaping too hot (getting a total gel) tracing too long (getting a thick, thick batter) ans a partial gel. Always getting good soap but always something that left me scratching my head. I do not like the yellow my soap turns when it gels... (I use EVOO that has a strong colour to it and no colourants...).

This time I finished up quick, poured into a loaf mold and tossed it into the fridge quick. Today, 24 hours later I pulled it out and it has not gelled and is the colour of hand churned butter... I am stoked!

Question 1: Should it go back in the fridge for another 24 hours?

The soap is testing as lye heavy (I expected that because I put the loaf in the fridge) and suspect that the excess lye will cure out over the next 4-6 weeks. I just need to keep on testing.

Question 2: Does it matter if I cure the loaf in one piece or cut into bars now?

TIA
Ingrid

I wouldn't put it back in the fridge, it needs to thaw and finish saponification which it should do in the next 2-3 days.

Cut it as soon as you are able. If you wait too long, it will get hard and break apart when you try to cut it.

I wouldn't put it back in the fridge, it needs to thaw and finish saponification which it should do in the next 2-3 days.

Cut it as soon as you are able. If you wait too long, it will get hard and break apart when you try to cut it.

Thank You!
Ingrid

Well, I took the loaf out of the fridge but didn't have enough time to cut it into bars (had a show to go to). The darn thing gelled...

If I had cut it into bars I suspect I would have got a partial gel... yes/no? Can anyone confirm?

And for my next question; how do people in the group get a nice white or butter coloured bar? (Titanium oxide, Kaolin, oatmeal????)

I realize that the lighter the colour of oils used the lighter my soap should be... but I now doubt this line of thinking...

To get a nice white, I use water soluble Titanium Dioxide.

Thanks! I have some of that for making sun cream for horses (yes... their pink little noses crisp up pretty good in the summer).
So, Misschief... what is your ratio for adding? 1, 2, 3 or more oz per pound...
TIA-muchly!

Well, I took the loaf out of the fridge but didn't have enough time to cut it into bars (had a show to go to). The darn thing gelled...

If I had cut it into bars I suspect I would have got a partial gel... yes/no? Can anyone confirm?

To rule-out partial gel, you may have to cut the soap and look to see if you have the tell-tale ring of color difference.

It looks like this:

partial gel ModernSoapmaking.JPG

Photo from Modern Soapmaking website: https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/troubleshooting-partial-gel-soap/

Sometimes you can see it on the top or bottom surface of a log, like this, but not always:

Hemp-Honey-Shampoo-Bar-before-during-gel-phase.jpg

photo from: The Nerdy Farm Wife website: https://thenerdyfarmwife.com/troubleshooting-cold-process-soap-problems/

Back