So overwhelmed with all of these fragrances! HELP!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizayle

Reaction score
So I am looking for fragrances for my bath bombs and every time I try and pick some theres about 6000000000 choices and I have no idea where to start. Are there any websites that sell giant sampler packages so I don't have to go through and figure out which ones are good and bad by myself? I'm just not really sure where to start.

I have some PJ sample packs but I want more... and for a good price... and this stuff adds up quick!!!!

Read reviews when buying. They sre expensive and what is good to someone might not be good to you but reviews do help a lot. Start with a few basic ones and just go from there. You will find your favorites after some trial and error.

The best thing to do is to watch for the awesome sample sales that certain vendors offer at certain times of the year. Peaks usually has one, and also Rustic Escentuals.

And some vendors sell sample packs all year round, such as Oregon Trails Soaps (six 2-oz bottles for 28.95); Peaks offers a regular sample pack of ten 1oz bottles for 22.65.

Nature's Garden sells 1-oz bottles for 2.65 each

Elements Bath & Body sells 1-oz bottles for 2.95 each, and they also have sample .08oz vials for certain fragrances for 1.00 to 1.25 each.

Hopefully others will chime in with more suggestions soon.

IrishLass :)

To expand on IrishLass's suggestions, NG will give an additional $0.50 off per 1 oz. bottle if you buy 10 or more 1 oz. FO samplers (they can be the same kind or different). So that would make them $2.15/oz. if you buy 10 or more.

I also noticed that WSP had a couple of their Fall and Winter FO samplers on sale, like this one:

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/winter-fragrance-oil-sampler-kit.aspx

This one is (13), 2 oz bottles for $52.41 with free shipping (so just over $2/ounce).

WOW you are all so helpful thanks this makes a lot of sense! That winter sampler sounds great too!

Brambleberry also has small samplers - perfect for bath bombs. I liked the fall one, but they also have a best sellers one. Nature's Garden is a lot of fun - very good prices on them.

CandleScience has a .99 sale on 1oz. bottles twice a year. I think around March and Sept. Just be sure to order body safe f.o. s because they do sell some that are for candles only. Two that I really like are Love Spell and Oakmoss and Amber. Sign up for emails and they will notify you when the sales occur. Aztec has a code every month that will get you 5 1 oz. bottles for 1.00 each. Sign up for their email. Hope these help.

Mary Lou

I've spent many hours this week researching different sites. I see sites selling the same fragrance titles with the same descriptions. I'm suspecting there is one big wholesaler supplying these small mom and pop web stores?

That being said, I took the leap and ordered many scents from one of them. Credit card was hit instantly, but now two days later I've received no emails? Giving them the benefit of the doubt that this scent business might not be their day job, how long do I wait?

I'd stick to the larger well known companies.

Check at the top of Fragrance Oils/Fragrance Reviews forum. You'll see 2 stickies - one to the Soap Scent Review Board. You have to have a paid email address to join this board. You'll also see another to a Fragrance Review Chart - its' a Google Doc that anybody can add to. Members post their experiences with different vendors and FOs.

I've spent many hours this week researching different sites. I see sites selling the same fragrance titles with the same descriptions. I'm suspecting there is one big wholesaler supplying these small mom and pop web stores?

That being said, I took the leap and ordered many scents from one of them. Credit card was hit instantly, but now two days later I've received no emails? Giving them the benefit of the doubt that this scent business might not be their day job, how long do I wait?

I'd stick to the larger well known companies.

Depends on who you ordered from. Most of them are pretty good. I try to stick with the better known larger companies. Though I've ordered from some of the smaller ones and it does take a bit longer but it works out as long as you aren't in a hurry.

I think there are probably a small number of manufacturer's. However, stores still have their own unique blends. Not sure how it works, maybe the folks at Retailer A say, "We want an Apple Spice FO" and tell the manufacturer, "More spice, less apple" and the folks at Retailer B say, "We want an Apple Spice FO" and then say "More apple, less spice." So the big manufacturer has "recipes" for each of their customers.

Many FO websites have a listing of "best sellers", often a good indication of what works well, and sells well. But that doesn't mean that they're all winners. I've tried a couple of those and thought.....reeeealllly? They weren't bad, but they sure didn't knock my socks off. :)

Many FO websites have a listing of "best sellers", often a good indication of what works well, and sells well. But that doesn't mean that they're all winners. I've tried a couple of those and thought.....reeeealllly? They weren't bad, but they sure didn't knock my socks off. :)

I look at those lists but take them with a grain of salt. For example, "standard" fragrances (can't think of a better term) such as vanilla, mint, etc will always be in those lists, and some suppliers have a good vanilla and some a meh vanilla. Whereas the supplier may have a wonderful fragrance that doesn't appear on the "best seller" list because it's something more obscure.

I'm in the process of testing a lot of fragrances from many suppliers. I highly recommend Tennessee Candle and Soap "to get your feet wet". They have a special for new customers at $1 per oz if you buy 20. I liked: True Lavender, Tangerine Dreams, Redwood Cedar, Peach Magnolia Raspberry, Lilac, Spiced apple peaches (and I generally dislike foodie smells in soaps), Butt Naked, Lovespell, Honeysuckle, Winter Candy apple, Sweet Pea among others. All of these did stick very well so far (about 7 weeks old). Still in testing mode.

This company seems to have the same FO as Maple Street that another poster suggested.

Back