So now I know what Ricing is

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSosebee

Reaction score
My CP batch just riced. I blended it to a light trace and threw it in the mold.
Now there is oil standing on the surface.
Can I save it, or do I just watch and see if it will set up?

Thanks!

Oh yea, from Sugar....thought if I wasn't using milk then I should be ok...NOT

Give it a few hours, but if there's still a layer of oil on the top it must be re-batched.
I had a batch that riced and it did set up in the end. But in all the rush to save it I didn't blend all the ricing bits and they developed really bad DOS after a few weeks.

Standing oil in the mold is not necessarily ricing. Many times it is overheating that causes the oils to seperate. If you add in a fragrance that causes ricing just continue mixing until it forms an emulsion. It it does not come together hp it. Sometimes you can let a riced batter sit and relax for awhile then resume stick blending until you have a decent batter

There's also about 12g of sugars per cup of milk which is about a Tbs on top of what you were adding. Did it get hot?

I've never had ricing. Maybe someone could give me a lesson? I am thinking ricing typically happens in the mixing bowl when blending up to trace?? and looks like small scale separation where solids bead up within the liquids?? Anybody have any pics?

I've never had ricing. Maybe someone could give me a lesson? I am thinking ricing typically happens in the mixing bowl when blending up to trace?? and looks like small scale separation where solids bead up within the liquids?? Anybody have any pics?

That not quite right. It usually happens after trace when the FO is added. The batter doesn't separate so there won't be any clumps and liquid, instead you will have small rice sized lumps in your otherwise normal looking batter.

If its not trying to seize, you can keep blending and it should smooth back out. Ricing is not caused from sugar. It sounds like your soap is separating, does it look kinda like curdled milk? If so, you need to HP it.

This video shows mild ricing about half way through
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMQkfg5W0c4[/ame]

Last edited:
Good on her for putting that video up rather than sitting on it. Sometimes you can learn more from the problems than from the successes. Boy, her stress level really skyrocketed when things went south -- 'spose that's what we all would like too? (Uhhhhh, yeah!)

If that had happened to me, I don't think I'd have known that was ricing. I guess I only have seen pics of the really bad cases, where the soap has fully seized instead of maintaining some liquid component. Well in any case, I hope it never looks familiar to me!

After watching the video I wish my fo's that rice would only do that. Mine seperates and rices to make matters even worse like the description that Boyago described. Then when I get it back together it rices and seperates a second time

Last edited:
This is a picture of one of my soaps with what I believe is ricing. I didn't even see it with my bad eyesight the first go round. On the second batch I was halfway through pouring it when I noticed. I scooped it out of the loaf mold and back to the bowl and SBTH out of it? This was Plumeria from BB. image.jpg

Obsidian posted a good video that shows ricing. :thumbup:
Trace goes as normal and when you pour, bam, you get these lumpy bits, some of them are small and some of them can be quite big. It looks a bit like vomit to me. :lol:

Latest posts

Back