So much for the Profit Margin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this on sale at a local auto parts store. I'm going to use it to polish my bars. So far it has been great at removing soda ash.
(I know... it's ridiculous. You don't have to tell me.) :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_3992.JPG
    IMG_3992.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 57
@Ford No build up on the wheel yet, but I am just starting. It does spray soap and soda ash particles behind it, hence the towel you can see in the picture. The directions did say to use something called a "rake" to clean it.
As I was getting used to it, the wheel did "grab" a bar of soap out of my hands and threw it against the wall behind the machine. Left a ding in the still somewhat new bar. I learned from that mistake - changed my technique.
As for both hands, (LOL) - it does require focus and concentration, so I'll stick to one for now. 🤣

before/after pics!!! :nodding:
Otherwise we won't know if you're serious, or just kidding.

ETA: And wrt the “profit margin” – think of that purchase not a waste (as in superfluous luxury), but an investment into perfecting your outcomes, to add uniqueness to your bars. Regardless if you aim to work economical or not, it is decided that the decision if this machine pays off or not, is not decided yet. (Oof, what a masterpiece of almost philosophical profundity 🤪). Luxuries let you enjoy the moment, investments are a bet on prosperity in the future. What better can happen to you than both?

Last edited:
@AliOop Funny you should notice that, Ali! From the very beginning, in my mind I always associated soap planers with badly clogged planer slots and badly gouged soap bars. And mounds and mounds of soap shreds. I've never considered buying one. Do they actually work well?

I am probably not the best person to ask. I have a planer, but don't use it often. I just don't have the skills to make anything even or straight.

But the planer can be nice for taking off ashy tops and surfaces. I just do it over a cutting mat, and dump all the shreds and curls from that mat into a zip-top bag. When the bag gets full, everything gets melted together in an oven rebatch, and then glopped into the mold.

My rebatch bars are usually donated to the homeless shelter, but I did have one huget batch last year that looked like terrazo. Friends snatched up that stuff and have asked me to make it again. Kind of like when you make stew from random leftovers and everyone wants to recipe. 😁

Anyway, that's my long answer about planers and soap shreds. YMMV. ;)

@Ford Nice looking soap bars, Ford! Great photography too!

Guess I could ask my patrons: "Which do you want, pretty soap? (Planed and beveled?) Or MORE soap? (Unplaned and unbeveled?)"

Anyway, it is a moot point for me at this point. I have the buffer and I'll be using that for a while. (Til I get bored, at least. :) ) It rounds the edges, rather than giving them a sharp, straight look. Of course, I am working with soap that is 5 or so days old. It is still pretty malleable. No telling what it would do with an older, harder bar.

Back