So many things wrong...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitalnico

Reaction score
Okay. This was my first time making body wash because I wanted to wash some cash.

Below is the recipe I used:
1 bar 'Signature for Men Irish Spring'
8 cups filtered water
1/2 table spoon vitamin E oil
1 table spoon glycerin

The process:
Brought water to a rolling boil, put the soap shavings into the water, heated until fully dissolved, removed from heat for 3 minutes, added glycerin, let stand for 24 hours in an open container, used hand mixer to liquefy the gelified soap, added vitamin e oil, mixed more, bottled.

The issues:
1. The consistency is way off, its got a ton of air bubbles in it and seems kind of chunky/foamy, its not thin like water or thick like normal body wash. It's not dense at all.
I figured it would settle with time. It hasn't. I left some sealed in a bottle and some open to air. The one in the bottle had no change, the one open to air turned back into gel.

2. It's not lathering as well as I feel it should.

3. After I rise off my skin feels weird when I run my fingers or the shower scrunchie over it. Not sticky, but not slick/smooth like it normally does after store bought body wash. When I dry off I feel normal, but while I'm still wet in the shower it doesn't feel right.

Did I add too much of something or too little? Do I need to add another ingredient or omit one? Did I choose a crappy bar of soup to begin with? Does the shea butter in the bar of soap make a difference?

Agree with Shari above.

And I gotta ask.....you wanted to wash some cash? :Kitten Love:

Solid soap + water tends to make watery snot. And a half tablespoon of unemulsified vit e oil would be a lather killer I would think.
Make your own - check the Liquid Soap sub forum for some super simple ways - the threads by Susie and Irish Lass are the ones you want.

awesome thanks guys. I just watched a few youtube videos prior to this. There was no actual research done lol.

Latest posts

Back