Quantcast

So many things wrong...

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

digitalnico

Reaction score
Okay. This was my first time making body wash because I wanted to wash some cash.

Below is the recipe I used:
1 bar 'Signature for Men Irish Spring'
8 cups filtered water
1/2 table spoon vitamin E oil
1 table spoon glycerin

The process:
Brought water to a rolling boil, put the soap shavings into the water, heated until fully dissolved, removed from heat for 3 minutes, added glycerin, let stand for 24 hours in an open container, used hand mixer to liquefy the gelified soap, added vitamin e oil, mixed more, bottled.

The issues:
1. The consistency is way off, its got a ton of air bubbles in it and seems kind of chunky/foamy, its not thin like water or thick like normal body wash. It's not dense at all.
I figured it would settle with time. It hasn't. I left some sealed in a bottle and some open to air. The one in the bottle had no change, the one open to air turned back into gel.

2. It's not lathering as well as I feel it should.

3. After I rise off my skin feels weird when I run my fingers or the shower scrunchie over it. Not sticky, but not slick/smooth like it normally does after store bought body wash. When I dry off I feel normal, but while I'm still wet in the shower it doesn't feel right.

Did I add too much of something or too little? Do I need to add another ingredient or omit one? Did I choose a crappy bar of soup to begin with? Does the shea butter in the bar of soap make a difference?

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
You just can't make liquid soap or body wash by mixing bar soap and water. There are many posts on this forum regarding this and it just does not work.

You need to research making liquid soap with oils and koh.

Jstar

Reaction score
Agree with Shari above.

And I gotta ask.....you wanted to wash some cash? :Kitten Love:

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed with the above two.

However, if you can go through all that process, you can make liquid soap from scratch.

Seawolfe

Reaction score
Solid soap + water tends to make watery snot. And a half tablespoon of unemulsified vit e oil would be a lather killer I would think.
Make your own - check the Liquid Soap sub forum for some super simple ways - the threads by Susie and Irish Lass are the ones you want.

digitalnico

Reaction score
awesome thanks guys. I just watched a few youtube videos prior to this. There was no actual research done lol.