So many ingredients, where do you start??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aimee

Reaction score
I've been surfing round the internet at a load of suppliers and recipe websites and keep coming across some new (to me!) oil, butter or botanical. I suppose at some point I just need to say 'enough!' and decide on what I'm going to make, but does anyone else have any tips on how to decide between everthing?

will this be your first time soaping??

if so,

Id go with a simple 1 or 2 oils soap, this way you can play with a soap calculator a bit, and get to know the behavior of each oil...

my first one i tried...

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... ight=first

and second..

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... ight=first

just for ideas :)

have you been to soapnuts?

check it if you havent...you can use the section down on the lefgt 'soaping info' particularly the oil property chart...at least thats what i did..its so hard to choose something ...there are quite a few recipes out there, if its your first...simplicity is key, you want to try to recognize trace. gel. saponification etc...

if its your secong batch or more...take your favorite 5-10, write on slips of paper, pull out one out of a hat...

I just need to say 'enough!' and decide on what I'm going to make, but does anyone else have any tips on how to decide between everthing?

That is THE hardest part for me. If I am not careful I eat up all of my profits trying out each & every new fad. Narrowing it down is the very hardest think to do & to stick to!

aimee said:
I suppose at some point I just need to say 'enough!' and decide on what I'm going to make,

I am supposed to stop??? :shock: But I do not know how...........I have needs, you know! I need to try every oil and butter. I need to sniff every scent available.

I have seen many times, the veterans say that everyone does this. :lol: Then they go back to using simpler oils for soaping and marvelous butters for stay on products. But first.....ya gotta try everything. :lol:

Digit

Yeah the problem won't be where to start, but rather when to stop and believe me you will stop once it kicks in how much your curiosity is really worth! LOL Mine is worth about $4,000.

Yeah the problem won't be where to start, but rather when to stop and believe me you will stop once it kicks in how much your curiosity is really worth! LOL Mine is worth about $4,000.

I blame most of my expenditures on FO, I am addicted... :oops:

pepperi27 said:
Yeah the problem won't be where to start, but rather when to stop
Exactly!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

pepperi27 said:
LOL Mine is worth about $4,000.
I refuse to put a price on my curiosity.....it is priceless. :lol: :lol:

Digit

Back