So mad at myself!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibct1969

Reaction score
Hello! I made some soap today, using a recipe that I found on pinterest. I finally got all my ingredients together and set aside some time today to make it and realized after I blended my hard oils with my olive oil, that it wasn't olive oil that I was using!!!! It was 94% soybean oil and 5% olive oil, GRRRRR. That's what I get from buying oil at the dollar store and not paying attention to what I was doing. Before adding my lye water, I very quickly ran the recipe through soapcalc to make sure I was using the right amount of lye/water. I was ok there, but DAGNABBIT. Now I really don't know how this soap is going to turn out/if it's going to develop DOS. I was making it for holiday gifts :cry:

It's in the mold now and I'm anxious about potential unpleseantness.

Here's the recipe:

30% lard
25% soybean oil (supposed to be olive oil)
25% coconut oil
15% shea butter
5% castor oil

Two questions-

If DOS are going to rear their ugly heads, when should I expect to see them?
Is there anything else that could happen that I should expect? Thanks in advance.

No one can tell you when or if dos will appear. Any idea what superfat you ended up with?

I've never used soybean oil in soap, but know some people who do use and like it, although not at 25%. The other oils you used just might make this a good soap.

I would try curing the soap for a month, then store the soap in the fridge, unwrapped and with room for air to circulate. (We'll see if someone else comes along who knows a good reason to not store soap in the fridge.)

Be sure to handle the soap with very clean or gloved hands and keep contaminants away.

Thank you lenarenee, for your response and suggestions.

The superfat was 5%

I wouldn't panic yet. Soybean oil might not make the best soap but depending on your storage might not lead to DOS.
You've only used <24% soybean oil (since 5% of it was olive oil).
See the single oil soap experiment and further updates on the different soaps.

http://alchemyandashes.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/single-oil-soap-experiment-phase-one.html

http://alchemyandashes.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/hey-remember-me-i-baaaccckkk-single-oil.html

http://alchemyandashes.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/single-oil-soap-experiment-phase-3-one.html

So far so good- pics of say a prayer for no DOS soap

Well, the whoops-its-soybean-oil soap is out of the mold and cut. It was SUPER soft after 24 hours, so I put it in the freezer per what I read in older posts. It was much easier to get out of the mold that way.

Also, wanted to mention how helpful it was to learn from others on here how NOT to get glycerin rivers using TD, as that has happened to me in the past.

Looks ok so far. I sanitized my knife and washed my hands before cutting. Now, I'll hope and hope no DOS! Thanks again for all the lessons on this board! :)

Blizzard front.JPG

Blizzard top.JPG

Blizzard top2.JPG

Latest posts

Back