So...I tried my 100% CO bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz-juzz

Reaction score
And I definitely experienced definition of being squeaky clean. :-D
My skin squeaked for real under shower.
It's 100% CO with 20% SF, I've seen idea on here once (pretty sure) and had to try it.

I only made few bars so not a big batch, might leave them for hot and humid Aussie summer as they are really quite harsh. Or for those nursing shifts when afterwards even autoclave won't help to clean myself.

Has anyone else tried it, how did you find it?

The 100% CO soap with 20% s/f is a fave around my house. My skin-type is such that I personally find them to be quite luxurious-feeling. The only thing I don't like about them is that they don't last very long (they melt away/get used up much faster than my other formulas).

IrishLass :)

The 100% CO soap with 20% s/f is a fave around my house. My skin-type is such that I personally find them to be quite luxurious-feeling. The only thing I don't like about them is that they don't last very long (they melt away/get used up much faster than my other formulas).

Oh I've realised that too. My bars are quite small and almost 1/4 of it was gone only after one shower.

At first i found these quite harsh - then after a longer cure they came good! I think it was after about 10 weeks. Still very cleansing but much much milder. Lovely big bubbles! I also find they take scent and colour really well.

hmm. My salt bars last FORFREAKINGEVER! I have found that at least a 4-6 month cure helps with the harshness. (and probably why they last so long) Anything less than 16 weeks old for a 100%CO bar is too harsh for me to use, however after that, it's one of my personal favorite bars to use.

Salt bars do last longer, but these folks are talking about not-salt bars. I think there is quite a difference in how long the two types last, having done both. :)

Salt bars do last longer, but these folks are talking about not-salt bars. I think there is quite a difference in how long the two types last, having done both. :)

OHH yeah, they are just talking about 100% CO bars. derr nevermind.
I did the bad thing of assuming salt bars because I only use 100% CO in my salt bars.

You know what they say about "assume"? But, honestly, all of us make this mistake from time to time, and it's no big deal! :)

Having made both kinds of this soap, I think I like the salt bar version better if I had to pick one. I don't think my skin is especially sensitive, but when I wash with the not-salt soap, my skin gets really tight and a little bit shinier than usual. Weird and unpleasant.

I've just recently started using my 100% CO bars. I quite like them even though I have sensitive dry skin. I probably won't make them anymore though, they melt away too quickly. I'll stick to salt bars.

I use 100% CO, 20% SF, and coconut milk. After about 8 weeks, it makes my favorite bar ever.

I use 100% CO, 20% SF, and coconut milk. After about 8 weeks, it makes my favorite bar ever.

Ooooh! I never even thought to add milk to mine, which is pretty funny seeing as how I use 100% coconut milk all the time with my salt bars made from 100% CO! I'm going to have to try that out next time!

I HP mine, and the addition of coconut milk makes a lovely creamy, smooth, white bar. It cuts beautifully also...I just made a new batch today, since I'm down to my last bar :)

Ooooh! I never even thought to add milk to mine, which is pretty funny seeing as how I use 100% coconut milk all the time with my salt bars made from 100% CO! I'm going to have to try that out next time!

One of my new favorites is 50/50 CO/OO with a 10% SF. Its a bit longer lasting then 100% CO and it seems more conditioning but still has a lot of nice lather. I think my next batch I will try with brine water, see if that will harden it up, I like to use aloe juice too, seems to increase lather.

It's only about 6 weeks old so it could still get a bit better in terms of lasting under water.

I am still definitely interested in trying high CO% in soaps. It gives more of a well washed feel to the skin rather than drying. It might be great in summer (I tend to sweat heaps yuck).
50/50 with OO sounds good.

Someone mentioned how FO sticks well. I tried smallest amount of NG Love spell in my batch and it sticks like crazy.

So I guess these high CO soaps always produce crazy numbers in soapcalc? I don't put that much credence in them, but always glance. I wanted to take a try at something based on Stacy and Obsidian's thoughts, and the INS number was off the scale, way over the range. Many of the other numbers were also way out whack w/ my usual numbers (generally shoot for high conditioning, good hardness, don't care that much about cleansing.)

I was plugging in 50% CO, 40% lard, 10% PKO, 10% SF and planned on using full liquid amount w/aloe in brine and full CM (split method) to see if I could get a combo of lather/conditioning/durability, although obviously the brine/aloe/CM doesn't contribute to the soapcalc analysis. Also only using half the normal salt:aloe juice ratio for the brine in the lye water since I am splitting the liquid amount. Maybe too complicated and will end up being not quite being good enough at anything except making a mess?

Last edited:
If you are confident with aloe and CM it might be worth a try.
I've never used aloe so I'm not sure how it performs.
My only concern would maybe be overheating and cutting of the soap with that amount of CM and CO. Especially if you are making it in a log mold.
I made individual soaps with this 100% CO recipe and they started gelling 10 mins after pour, just sitting on a kitchen bench, uncovered.

Out of curiosity I rubbed some of this soap on my teen's grotty clothes and I'm impressed. Sweat stains are 90% gone. I know it's bad idea because of SF but other batch with 0% SF will be in the making soon. I can't believe I haven't tried this yet.
instead of spending $$$ on soaking powders that do next to nothing.

Good to know, fuzz-juzz, thanks. If I do it I will definitely freeze the mold first and pop the log into the freezer after pouring. I have used aloe and CM together, and loved the combo, so curious to see how they will work with the other stuff.

Out of curiosity I rubbed some of this soap on my teen's grotty clothes and I'm impressed. Sweat stains are 90% gone. I know it's bad idea because of SF but other batch with 0% SF will be in the making soon. I can't believe I haven't tried this yet.
instead of spending $$$ on soaking powders that do next to nothing.[/QUOTE]

Try making laundry butter from your coconut soap :)

Mine are at the 4 week mark...can't wait to try em!
I did rebatch some of the 100% coconut, and it seemed to "melt" away...but they aren't very old. Will have to see if the 4 week old ones last better....:thumbup:

100% CO is like my favorite bar. For my last batch, the water was fully substituted with aloe Vera juice. It's being curing for 12weeks now, I can't wait see the bubbles.

Latest posts

Back