So I think I'm a convert

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusti

Reaction score
To the lard side. I know there are a few folks here who will rejoice they have claimed another victim.

I carved off a corner of my still-curing third batch so I could make sure the recipe checks out as far as lather before I made my mother the same recipe with her favorite scent (BB Tobacco and Bay, I'll be honest, I love that one too). Soap is only about three weeks old, so it's still pretty soft, so nicking a corner with the butterknife was easy.

So creamy!

Welcome to the lard side! I well remember showering with my first soap formulated with lard and reveling in it's creaminess.

IrishLass :)

Ok I'm gonna do it ... if I can get me some lard ... :razz:

We can't get it from the butcher, they won't sell it (or give it away).
I suppose that means they're required by law to toss it ... ?? Sad if so.
I haven't asked, but I will.

I just got mine off the grocery store shelf. Not sure if they sell it like that in Oz though.

Coles sell it. Its in the butter isle. Pretty pricey though. Its the only source ive been able to find. Its in a red pack usualy near the copha. Hth

Thank you dills!! Much appreciated. I've only tried Woolies and the butcher so far, but there is a Coles 15 mins away ...

woohoo!
dillsandwitch ... just wondering if you know where to buy tallow from in Aus??
My mum wants to make tallow soap and can't source any.

Or anyone else ... ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you dills!! Much appreciated. I've only tried Woolies and the butcher so far, but there is a Coles 15 mins away ...

woohoo!
dillsandwitch ... just wondering if you know where to buy tallow from in Aus??
My mum wants to make tallow soap and can't source any.

Or anyone else ... ?

Yes. Also at coles woolies and iga. I find iga is the cheapest. Its also right in the butter isle and is labled as solidified oil. Its ranged from 2.50 - 3.00 $ a 500gm block.

Ok, it could be my semi-rural supermarket is the problem then - I have lots of problems trying to find what I consider "ordinary" kinds of products *rolls eyes* ... oh well I will keep trying, thank you so much for your help :)

Maybe ask them why they aren't allowed to give it to you? If it's an issue of food regulations, maybe if you say you won't be eating it?

Have you tried Etsy? If seen Flo and Fannie recommended here several times - maybe there is somebody in NZ doing the same thing?

Or, if not...maybe you can start doing it!

Yes. Also at coles woolies and iga. I find iga is the cheapest. Its also right in the butter isle and is labled as solidified oil. Its ranged from 2.50 - 3.00 $ a 500gm block.

Which makes it more expensive than OO!

There are a few places online in Oz that sell mostly organic tallow - cheapest $7 per kg Plus postage. Suet is $$ also and then you would have to render it down. Chemicals are concentrated in the fat so organic might be a consideration but not sure it's worth it.

Last edited:
lard.gif

Back