So I think I'm a convert

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure you get Supafry in big red blocks. That one is beef tallow I'm pretty sure and it's lovely in soap.
I got some Wicks drippings once and after using it on some roast potatoes I've realised it's probably all different animal fats in it. I could taste sheep the most. :)

They've stopped selling lard for a while but luckily they've put it back on the shelves. Overpriced though but still...
My parents usually render some for me. It's got better smell and taste than one from shops.

Which makes it more expensive than OO!

There are a few places online in Oz that sell mostly organic tallow - cheapest $7 per kg Plus postage. Suet is $$ also and then you would have to render it down. Chemicals are concentrated in the fat so organic might be a consideration but not sure it's worth it.

Here I was thinking $5 a kg was a pretty good price for tallow. Either way I'm happy at the price and im happy with the soap it makes.

Ok I'm gonna do it ... if I can get me some lard ... :razz:

We can't get it from the butcher, they won't sell it (or give it away).
I suppose that means they're required by law to toss it ... ?? Sad if so.
I haven't asked, but I will.

We use to have a butcher shop and that is not the case, it is picked up every few days or weekly and they are paid a nominal amount for it and then it goes off for processing.

Maybe ask them why they aren't allowed to give it to you? If it's an issue of food regulations, maybe if you say you won't be eating it?

Have you tried Etsy? If seen Flo and Fannie recommended here several times - maybe there is somebody in NZ doing the same thing?

Or, if not...maybe you can start doing it!

I don't know who flo and fannie are, but we are not in NZ and it's not a food regulation.

Mind blowing to me. Is pork very unpopular in NZ? IMO, lard is fabulous enough that it would be worth it to me to track down a pig processor and see about securing fat to render.[/QUOTE]

Not sure why you think we are in NZ and yes pork is very popular in Australia, there use to be an Ad campaign and it said - Put some pork on your fork.
All abattoirs are usually in the country and you can't just rock up to one and get some fat.

Thanks heaps Relle (and everyone) ... my mother was quite excited today when I told her we can buy it ... we're going to try some larger supermarkets and see how we go. Now I've seen that pic of the red block of supafry I know I've seen it somewhere.

This has been an enjoyable thread ... :cool:

Still waiting for the cookies though! :p :p

Make sure you get Supafry in big red blocks. That one is beef tallow I'm pretty sure and it's lovely in soap.
I got some Wicks drippings once and after using it on some roast potatoes I've realised it's probably all different animal fats in it. I could taste sheep the most. :)

They've stopped selling lard for a while but luckily they've put it back on the shelves. Overpriced though but still...
My parents usually render some for me. It's got better smell and taste than one from shops.

The red super cry is actually "blended animal fat" so it could be a combination of lard, tallow or any animal fat.

Last edited:
The red super cry is actually "blended animal fat" so it could be a combination of lard, tallow or any animal fat.

Yes it does say that on the pack but it has been discussed in previous topics that it is the equivalent of tallow for us aussies. As I mentioned before it makes a wonderful soap and you just use it as beef tallow in soapcalc. Ive never had an issue with it and ive been using it for over 2 years

I do realise, but I think it's mostly beef tallow or closest to beef tallow. It's way to hard to be mostly lard. True lard is quite soft, even cold. And I don't think there's much sheep in it, it doesn't have that specific odour.
I've used it as tallow in Soapcalc and in facial soaps and it's lovely. It's odourless and makes hard, super white bars of soap. It does produce a bit of ash, at least for me. That's the only downside.

Wik dripping is similar, all animal fats mixed up, but it reeks of sheep tallow. Completely different to Supafry.

Ha ha! It was a con by the lardites. Come to the other side we really do have cookies and chocolate.
Nope! No con. Here's some of the cookies!

DSCF2688.jpg

Oh my gosh. The things I take for granted. I find it mind boggling that not every country has the stuff available to them that we do here. Not being able to find lard or tallow at your local grocery store is absolutely alien to me. Then again, y'all aren't suffering from epidemic rates of obesity, diabetes, heart failure and colon cancer like we Yanks, are you? Besides, y'all have way cooler accents than we do.

ETA: BTW, fuzz-juzz "wik dripping" had me laughing hysterically. All I could think of was, "He better get that checked; that ain't supposed to happen."

Last edited:
Oh my gosh. The things I take for granted. I find it mind boggling that not every country has the stuff available to them that we do here. Not being able to find lard or tallow at your local grocery store is absolutely alien to me. Then again, y'all aren't suffering from epidemic rates of obesity, diabetes, heart failure and colon cancer like we Yanks, are you? Besides, y'all have way cooler accents than we do.

ETA: BTW, fuzz-juzz "wik dripping" had me laughing hysterically. All I could think of was, "He better get that checked; that ain't supposed to happen."

Don't forget Australia is a lot smaller than the U.S. with a smaller population - we can't have everything.

Haha! Google it is a real thing. :)

We didn't have lard for sale at all at few months back. They took it off shelves because it's not healthy bla bla while butter, dripping, etc was still there.
There was some sort of petition going on, and they brought it back.. at about twice the price. I think 250gr is about $4-5.

You can find fatty pork off cuts at butchers but you have to search and ask around. My parents were able to find some and rendered lard for us. It's not highest quality lard since it's made only from belly and back fat, but still, close enough. I don't soap with it as much anymore (DOS problems), but for me, it's irreplecable in roast potatoes and pastries.

Don't forget Australia is a lot smaller than the U.S. with a smaller population - we can't have everything.

That shouldn't be a reason. If I can find for example ghee and gazillion of other oils on the shelves, I would expect to find lard too.
Lard's got a bit of bad rap over the past decades, that's all and it is a shame and to be honest a sad world we live in. It really was a stupid move by supermarkets.
Meanwhile, lollies, biscuits, chips and soft drinks fill up four+ whole isles in the supermarket and apparently they do not pose risk to our health.
I'm glad it's back on the shelf.

Nope! No con. Here's some of the cookies!

Bugger, you will have them ALL flocking to the lard side now. :evil:

I do realise, but I think it's mostly beef tallow or closest to beef tallow. It's way to hard to be mostly lard. True lard is quite soft, even cold. And I don't think there's much sheep in it, it doesn't have that specific odour.
I've used it as tallow in Soapcalc and in facial soaps and it's lovely. It's odourless and makes hard, super white bars of soap. It does produce a bit of ash, at least for me. That's the only downside.

Wik dripping is similar, all animal fats mixed up, but it reeks of sheep tallow. Completely different to Supafry.

Thanks fuzz-juzz and Dillsandwitch,

Good to know.

Store bought lard

Finally get up to buying 7 lbs of oils at a time and I get this lard thread in my email today.

Anyway I read all the posts and since I was at the grocery store looked at the lard on the shelve. There was only one choice and the list of ingredients are as follows:
Lard
Hydrogenated lard
BHA
Propyl
Gallate and citric acid added to protect flavor.

Is this lard ok for soap making and since it has citric acid in it already do I have to worry about adding it like some folks do to cut down on soap scum?
Thanks

That shouldn't be a reason. If I can find for example ghee and gazillion of other oils on the shelves, I would expect to find lard too.
Lard's got a bit of bad rap over the past decades, that's all and it is a shame and to be honest a sad world we live in. It really was a stupid move by supermarkets.
QUOTE]

Australia's whole population can fit into New York, so that is a reason. We don't have the manufacturing industry that we use to. As a butcher we had our fat and bone picked up daily , then it became weekly as there was only place to do the whole of Sydney. Butchers have declined, supermarkets taken over, some don't even cut on the premises anymore, it's all done in one central location.

While lard as had a bad rap in the past the reason why it's not on the shelves is because the quantity of butchers has decreased so there isn't the off cuts available and places like lever and kitchen are taking the bulk of it for soap. So if its not on the shelves they are short and are taking all they can get.

So the supermarkets don't have a say about not having it on the shelf as it doesn't get to that stage of manufacture as its already taken. The larger companies have the pulling power of - I want it now and get it.

Latest posts

Back