So I received this certified letter in the mail yesterday...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My typical advice to clients in these situations is not to respond to a generic letter. Nope, not even a “go jump in a lake” response. Never fan the flames in a potential legal dispute! As the saying goes, discretion is the better part of valor.

Now, if the letter is specific and detailed as to the alleged violations, I immediately help connect them with qualified patent-trademark counsel. This is a specialty area of law and requires help from someone who knows it well.

Fixing a violation can be easy (not always) and can save many thousands of dollars in legal fees and damages.

Unfortunately, fighting a false claim is not easy; it is expensive and can take a long time. A good patent-trademark lawyer will help you evaluate whether to spend the money fighting, or rebranding. Sometimes the latter will be the better way to go, especially if you get a waiver of all claims and atty fees from the other side.

Unfortunately, fighting a false claim is not easy; it is expensive and can take a long time.
That's the way it is with anything...even if you win, you lose. It's why companies 'settle out of court' because it's cheaper just to pay someone $10,000 on a false claim, than it is to rack up $25,000 in legal fees. Ex-fiance's father used to brag about how much he made with 'slip and falls' and since it's a Personal Injury payout, no income tax. But there is thing called 'karma' and it bit him big time when he really did 'slip and fall' in a store and injured his back...in a store that he had already sued. Needless to say, he didn't get any money and it ended his 'career'.

Back