So I just discovered firsthand what 'ricing' is :-(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just finished a batch but not sure if it'll be a keeper. Moments after adding the FO, the batter formed small lumps all through it. I gave it a quick blitz with the SB, but didn't dare do more than that because it was tracing fast. I went ahead and poured into the mold and did a hanger swirl. Will the lumps be there when I cut the bars tomorrow, or will they disappear into the rest of the soap?

I suppose I should be glad this is my first time encountering ricing, but still not a happy camper right now. :nonono:

Last edited:
YMMV, but i have had both happen. I have not blended enough after it riced and ended up with gross little wet spots of FO, that batch ended up being rebatched... I've also had ricing where i SB to smooth it out with absolutely no hint of any issue. So for me, it depends a lot on how quick to trace the whole batch was and how much i was able to mix it out.

Here is to hoping your soap turns out lovely! 🥂

edit: autocorrect rebatch

Just finished a batch but not sure if it'll be a keeper. Moments after adding the FO, the batter formed small lumps all through it. I gave it a quick blitz with the SB, but didn't dare do more than that because it was tracing fast. I went ahead and poured into the mold and did a hanger swirl. Will the lumps be there when I cut the bars tomorrow, or will they disappear into the rest of the soap?

I suppose I should be glad this is my first time encountering ricing, but still not a happy camper right now. :nonono:
How did this batch turn out? Had this exact thing happen a few days ago.

Back