So DH says he "reeks"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOGal70

Reaction score
DH has been using the soap that I made for ME (that I love!) it is a 5% SF made of: OO- 37.5%, GS- 25%, lard- 25% & CO-12.5%.

He has a batch of 5% SF made of: lard- 50%, CO- 35% & Sunflower- 15%.

Not sure why he keeps picking up my bar and not his, but he just sent me a message that he "reeks" & the soap is not working for him.

I can understand that he might not like the conditioning / cleansing ratio of "my" bar. I will have to ask him tonight why he hasn't been using "his" bar, but when I made it I was going for a high cleasing, yet still conditioning bar.

What do the men in your life prefer?

He may be able to smell the lard, OO, or GS.

I'd ask him exactly what he means. If it is scent, then you can always add an aroma to make it smell good, not like soap oils.

If it is the performance, well, we need to know what about it. Maybe he would like a higher superfat (more conditioning, less stripping), maybe he would like more bubbles, maybe he does not like the lather and thinks it sticks to him (in which case I would go 50% OO, 25% CO, 25% Palm superfat at 8% and scent it with a man approved aroma-basic bar feel, washes off easy, bubble like store bought).

It could be as simple as one or more of the oils in your soap does not agree with his body chemistry. It's no different than perfume smelling completely different from one person to the next.

My fiance wants me to put Rosemary in everything!! Anytime I'm developing a new blend and ask, "what else would complement ____?" About 90% of the time it is "Rosemary" LOL. He also really likes Cedarwood, Bergamot, Basil, and Mint. As far as FOs, he loves the Cedar and Saffron from Brambleberry and then the classic Oatmeal, Milk and Honey. As far as the type of soap, he really likes goat's milk soaps for his skin. He doesn't like them superfated too high, though, just at about 6%. He also enjoys little bits of exfoliate in there, too, like ground oats or strawberry seeds.

I have heard mine complain that..."....this soap does not get the stinkiness (sp?) from under my arms"....Usually the observation is about other hand made soaps that seem to have a lower cleansing factor than my usual ones. My goat milk castile also probably gets accused of that....not enough ooomph on the cleansing scale. Better for babies than stinky dudes.

So we have worked on a soap that addresses this problem. Using the lightly deodorizing properties of coffee, and essential oils that are known to have antiseptic effect, in the proportion he likes. We named it 'stinky man soap' and it is one of our best sellers. I make sure I set a couple of bars aside for him of course!

not enough ooomph on the cleansing scale

Some people really like that "squeaky clean" feeling that comes with a soap that is only mildly superfatted, particularly if they have an active lifestyle and/or skin that is a bit oily. I have a soap that is about 25% Coconut oil and a good dose of Palm with only 4% superfat and a friend that is part of the "soap-should-leave-me-squeaky-clean" club loves it. Personally, I find it way too drying, but I am also not a sweaty man ;-)

I used my GM soap today for the first time today and its a really good creamy conditioning bar but it definitely didn't have the ooomph to get rid of that "been sweating in the garden" stink.

After talking to him it was as I said earlier, not a scent issue but a performance issue. He wants more of that squeaky clean feeling. I told him to use "his" soap and leave "mine" alone!

It could be as simple as one or more of the oils in your soap does not agree with his body chemistry. It's no different than perfume smelling completely different from one person to the next.

I think ill have to agree with this. I have a ls that I was/am? very disappointed with because it leaves me smelling like old oil. A few other people who have tried it dont have that problem though. bummer because it feels great on the skin but Im afraid to sell it. lesson learned.

Latest posts

Back