So call vanilla EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal43

Reaction score
i purchase what I thought was vanilla EO and come to find out that there is no such thing as vanilla EO. I read that vanilla turns a soap burn. So my question is , Will it morph if I try to separate a batch and put in one portion of the soap?

Vanilla EO pics

Pic2

Attachments

• 0FC2DB5B-BA55-4BC6-AD4C-61668FEFFE32.jpeg
    0FC2DB5B-BA55-4BC6-AD4C-61668FEFFE32.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 410BB370-BBE0-4375-B46B-B01B8F430EA4.jpeg
    410BB370-BBE0-4375-B46B-B01B8F430EA4.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see the word 'essential' on it. It looks like the same type "Vanilla Oil" that MMS sells as a flavor oil. I don't know about the one you bought, but MMS makes theirs via a 35-fold infusion of vanilla beans into fractionated coconut oil. For what it's worth, MMS does not recommend their Vanilla Oil for use in soap because it's way too delicate and would not scent your soap very well. I have some of theirs on hand and I've found it even too delicate for my lip balms.

IrishLass :)

I am surprised they don't put the oil on there. It could be soybean or mineral oil for all we know. No idea what's actually in it! I can't read the name of the company. You may be able to find a data sheet or some ingredients on their web page.

Oh boy, I didn’t even realize the word Essential is not on it. But it was advertised as essential oil. Will this work at all in soaps?

Should I send this back?

Attachments

• 799310F5-128C-46DC-A5D0-35FB276872B5.jpeg
    799310F5-128C-46DC-A5D0-35FB276872B5.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. I would definitely give it a poor rating, if possible, and comment! Definitely false advertising. I don’t doubt whether the ingredients used are all ‘natural’, but no such thing as Vanilla EO.

This is the reply I got from the person about the vanilla EO.

What do you think?

Attachments

• 6FEFFFB8-1422-4030-89A4-8A1E407064B7.jpeg
    6FEFFFB8-1422-4030-89A4-8A1E407064B7.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 41
Still not an 'essential oil.' Essential oils are aromatic compounds that are extracted either by steam distillation or cold press. You can actually separate the oil and see the product in its natural state. Vanilla cannot be distilled or pressed to extract the separate compounds that deliver its characteristic fragrance. You can infuse the beans into a carrier oil or extract the flavor using solvents, but no 'oil' would be had. That's how I understand it.

Now, the labeling of such may be much more liberal than what we understand as an essential oil. That would not be surprising.

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...tricks/the-truth-about-vanilla-essential-oil/

Based on the definition from the International Organization for Standardization, essential oils are defined as “a product obtained from a natural raw material of plant origin, by steam distillation, by mechanical processes from the epicarp of citrus fruits, or by dry distillation, after separation of the aqueous phase — if any — by physical processes.” Click here to read this statement, which is included in their vocabulary of aromatic natural raw materials (ISO/D1S9235.2).

I'd send it back. If you knew what the carrier was - coconut oil, soybean oil, mineral oil - you might be able to use it lotions or lip balms. But since you have no idea, you don't know how you can safely use it.

I would call that an extract not an essential oil! I'd definitely send it back and send that information from the Soap Queen website, sounds like the person selling them doesn't understand themselves what they are selling.

I am not disputing if it is an EO or not, but did you notice, it is made with the orchid, apparently not with the bean itself.

Since I have never seen a vanilla orchid, I wonder if they have much of an odor (the flower). Most orchids I have had, had very little odor, if any.

Was it costly?

I own a vanilla orchard plant and it lives on my window sill, sadly it hasn't given me a vanilla bean yet (only had it for a year). I tore one of it's leaves and it smells nothing like vanilla, just green like a plant. There are no flowers on it though so I don't know what the flowers smell like.

I am not disputing if it is an EO or not, but did you notice, it is made with the orchid, apparently not with the bean itself.

Since I have never seen a vanilla orchid, I wonder if they have much of an odor (the flower). Most orchids I have had, had very little odor, if any.

Was it costly?
I was 15.00 for 4 oz

For future reference the vanilla you are looking for is a oleoresin, or a solvent based extract. Like this one https://www.planttherapy.com/vanilla-essential-oil-vanilla-oleoresin-plant-therapy (That happens to be the first link on google, I don't not have any stock or investments or even more then cursory knowledge in this company. That is just a link, not a "link" that in anyway promotes me or my standing with said company, nor is it an affiliate link or anything of that nature.)

Was it costly?

I don't know that that's a 'thing' or not, i.e., extracting oil or essence from the actual vanilla flower itself. I've been searching, but so far I cannot not find anyone actually doing that.

I was 15.00 for 4 oz

That's pretty cheap for 4 oz. of a vanilla product being called an 'essential oil', seeing as how crazy high the market prices for vanilla have been the past few years. :rolleyes: For example, a few years ago, before the huge vanilla crop failure that caused the present 'vanilla crisis', I used to be able to buy a bulk pound of Grade B bourbon vanilla beans for $45.00 to $50.00, which I would do every year to make my own triple-fold extract for myself and also to give as gifts. At present, I still cannot find a pound of Grade B vanilla beans going for anything much less than $360.00, although last year I think the price was even higher than that, so things look to be coming back down, but still not anywhere near as low as what they used to cost.

I'm with Shari (Shunt). I believe they are really misinformed.

IrishLass :)

Back