snowflake mold question....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTAnton

Reaction score
The longer I'm involved in this forum the more I feel the total novice...
So here's my question...saw a mold offered for sale which will make a soap with a raised snowflake on the top of the bar....whew...I managed to stay away from concave and convex...LOL..so what choice does a CP'er have to color this snowflake a different color than the rest of the soap? Is it simply a matter of coloring a small portion of batter and pipetting the different color into the cavity of the snowflake? Just thought this mold would make wonderful holiday presents....
The other option I'm thinking of is to do a melt and pour in the depression of the snowflake and put my regular cp soap batter on top...but I don't know much about that either in terms of feasibility...

Anton, may be missing s/t here - it is always hard for me to make images from words, but how would this be different from just using a regular mold and putting snowflake embeds in different colors on top of the bar, which seems like it might be easier? Just a question of time/not dealing w/having to make embeds separately?

If I am envisioning this correctly I would not put mp in the bottom of the mold (the bottom of the mold will be the top of the bar in this case, right?) and pour the cp on top, even if the mp is hardened it seems like there would be melting inside the mp part/around the edges from having hot cp on it. The more I type the more I think I am not getting the picture right, though.

I would think you could pour some barely traced soap into the snowflake pattern or use some type of pipette/syringe. I think white snow flakes with blue soap would look really pretty.

You are probably looking for a prettier color, and not the plain Jane natural stuff I'm attracted to but... I don't know how this would turn out (my disclaimer, hehehe). I was thinking about doing this with one of my molds -- put my seeds in first with a little beeswax over them, inside the decorative part. In a few minutes, after the wax solidifies a little, very slowly and carefully do a controlled pour so I don't disturb the seeds -- the wax would quickly incorporate into the soap and the seeds would stay put. This idea may work with a colored beeswax??? I haven't seen anyone do it so I dunno -- it's an experiment for me :) Maybe someone on youtube has tried it??

Not ally...you got the picture correctly...
I was thinking embeds initially but now I realize that an embed wouldn't give you a raised feature on the soap which in my mind makes the feature "pop"..Obsidian...love the idea..I was thinking coloring only the snowflake but you're right...blue soap, if thats not a "pop" factor I don't know what is..TBeck...thanks for your suggestion...if I'm catching your drift correctly I'm thinking the beeswax snowflake wouldn't adhere to the soap very well...I can just see me unfolding and having all these little snowflakes staring back at me from the bottom of the molds...
Thanks all!

;)

I pipe whipped soap or soap frosting into designs with a small tip so I can fix mistakes. I don't have to hurry and I because it is thick it is easy to "clean up" any soap that goes where it shouldn't. I use regular CP soap not a MP whip so when it hardens you can't tell the difference between the whipped part and the poured part. (Except for the color of course.) This works very well and if a design goes up the sides (like the little wrapped present mold I have) the soap doesn't run back down. I can usually unmold after 36 hours as opposed to the normal 24. (I do this just to be sure it is hard enough.)

I agree with Dory here. Pouring the snowflake at thick trace and wiping the edges clean was my first thought too. And then when you pour the rest of the soap, it wouldn't disturb the flakes.
Also, the beeswax may or may not completely saponify, and how would you do your lye calculations with an unknown factor?

I was looking for something else and when I came across this pic I thought of your snowflake. Here is the web page.

TWO3.jpg

Back