Snap Bar De-mould issues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pblue55

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help me as I am tearing my hair out with this one!

I've been making snap bars for a while now and they are very hit and miss. Some will come out perfectly, but most stick to the moulds and the corners or top layer will crumble leaving an uneven finish. I have tried reducing the temperature at which I pour (to around 59/60 degrees) and I have left them over night, and tried popping in the fridge before releasing - nothing is working! I am using soy wax (this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moldmaster-Eco-Soy-Wax-White/dp/B00KU0F2X0), mica powder to colour and measuring out roughly 10% fragrance.

Has anyone had this happen before or has some tips on how to stop it?

Thank you!

snap bar moulds (chocolate style pieces to be snapped off a block or bar) are for melts?
are you making candles or melts?

... most stick to the moulds and the corners or top layer will crumble leaving an uneven finish. I have tried reducing the temperature at which I pour (to around 59/60 degrees) and I have left them over night, and tried popping in the fridge before releasing - nothing is working! ...

this problem can be caused by slow cooling
(hard fats rise [leaving brittle/crumbly corners] and soft fats below remain soft for longer [sticking in mould])

... some tips on how to stop it?

try heating your soy wax blend until it is clear and thin before the pour
then cool your product rapidly once it is in the mold

Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help me as I am tearing my hair out with this one!

I've been making snap bars for a while now and they are very hit and miss. Some will come out perfectly, but most stick to the moulds and the corners or top layer will crumble leaving an uneven finish. I have tried reducing the temperature at which I pour (to around 59/60 degrees) and I have left them over night, and tried popping in the fridge before releasing - nothing is working! I am using soy wax (this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moldmaster-Eco-Soy-Wax-White/dp/B00KU0F2X0), mica powder to colour and measuring out roughly 10% fragrance.

Has anyone had this happen before or has some tips on how to stop it?

Thank you!
That wax is for container candles. It is designed to adhere to the container it's poured into. You need one that is meant for tarts/melts, which is designed to release easily instead of adhering.

ETA: I have read some of the reviews, and it looks like people who have ordered that wax multiple times sometimes recieve a different product. It could be the reviewers who used it for wax melts got a wax that is not the one that listing is for. Either that, or they used a mold release product on their molds to get them to pop out. I strongly advise you not do that, because if you have to use a mold release spray to get them out of the mold, they will not pop out of the wax melter once they've been used and cooled. People want easy clean up, they want to be able to pop a used wax melt out of the melter once it's cooled and you can't do that if you had to lubricate your mold to make the things.

Last edited:
Back