Snake Skin Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

amd

The other day a friend of mine gifted me with a 7 foot snake shed from one of her 11 (!!) snakes. I had two thoughts on this...

1) I want to make a silicone impression mat for soap
2) I want to make soap with the shed skin in it

and then 3) I might be taking my soap obsession way too far...

So my friend is totally on board with me experimenting with this and if I get something to work she would like to gift it to the members of the local Herpetological Society.

For the impression mat, I've seen a few videos on the process, but they were really terrible for explaining what to do. I've also read Auntie Clara's blog post about doing it, but it was a while ago and at the time it made zero sense to my little brain. I'm going back to read it again, now that I have an actual project in mind it may make more sense.

For incorporating it actually into the soap, I was thinking of shredding it to see if it dissolves in lye, or getting it down to a close to powder form. Not sure what will happen when I throw it into the coffee mill (reserved just for DIY, please don't suspect me of brewing snake coffee for my husband, lol). I'm not sure how much to use though.

Is this the weirdest thing in soap? Completely repulsive? Has anyone done this before and is brave enough to tell me about it?

I make gun slings with decorative inlays of snakeskin. It just so happens that most of my skins are snakes harvested in South Dakota (all are not endangered species). Snakeskin looks good in things like this, although it's not the most durable. More for pretty than for harsh use.

An impression mat would be cool if the skin had a lot of distinctive texture. Not sure what I think about snakeskin dissolved and put in soap, but I'm sure stranger things have been used. Have fun!

I'm pretty sure there are people dissolving it in lye and adding to soap that way. I think it would be very neat for snake enthusiasts

I'd try and dissolve it. I'm a snake lover but the idea of skin powder or bits is a little much.
I agree, I've seen worse in soap. I even tossed around the idea of using blood.

The method used in this video is the one my granddaughter & I used to create a flattish silicone scales mat-like piece for her Hallowe'en costume a couple or so years ago. The part about creating the silicone paintable material starts about halfway into the video. The first part is about building up a cast upon which to paint the material that creates the silicone mold. It is not the only way to make a silicone mold, but I think it would work very well for a flattish snake mat.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfH_HCI0G4I[/ame]

Soap queen has a tutorial about making a mat with a pineapple. Going to see if I find it.

At first your idea gross me out, but then I thought about cowboy boots, so why not? After you make your mat, maybe you can make yourself a nice belt!

Oh my... zany that link was interesting! I never thought to Google snake skin soap! I'm on The fence about actually putting it in the soap at the moment. Not from y'all, just from my brain calming down and actually thinking about it.

Great video for the silicone mold. Thanks for sharing that. I'll Google the pineapple mold too (although I think I did see that).

Thats pretty gross lol. I would only use a little of the skin so it would all dissolve. Having to strain skin goop isn't something I'd like to do.

I don't think it would all dissolve. You'd still be left with bits that were insoluble in the lye, no matter how little you used (unless you used zero, which kind of defeats the purpose).

Back