Smooth HP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LolaFalana

Reaction score
Is it possible to add extra water to crockpot soap so that it's thinner? I've seen pictures of hp soap that looked as smooth as cp. Is this actually possible?

Yes, it's possible, but the more water you add the more water has to cure out of the soap, and that can lead to warping and shrinking and misshapen bars.

Try using a little sodium lactate and don't overcook the soap for a smoother pour.

You can also dissolve about 1/4 cup instant milk in a little water and add it to the cooked soap. Be sure the milk is all dissolved. The soap will smooth out a lot.

I have started doing 45% water. The soap is definitely smoother. I've only been doing this in the last 2 months. No warping so far.

I also take a sheet of baking parchment, lay it over the soap, and smooth the soap with my hand.

This is exciting news. Can't wait to get my mini crockpot now!

Does it take longer to cook with the added water/milk? Or is all of the evaporation done during the curing stage?

I have started doing 45% water. The soap is definitely smoother. I've only been doing this in the last 2 months. No warping so far.

I also take a sheet of baking parchment, lay it over the soap, and smooth the soap with my hand.

I'm going to add sodium lactate to the recipe. That shouldn't affect the results should it?

Also I love a textured top (I'm horrible at swirls and designs), but that is a tip i will definitely keep in mine. Thanks.

I would think we'd want the extra water to still be there at the pour or it makes no sense - we'd end up with the same consistancy if we add less water and cook less as if we add more water but cook longer.

What this method will likeyl result in is that your soaps shrink a bit more than you might be used to, just to bear in mind. 38% water vs 45% might not make too much of a difference, but it might well be noticable.

Is the shrinkage severe? Like will I lose an ounce in weight for the final product?

One more question, is this 45% tried and true or can the number be lowered if need be? Say to 40%.

I'm going to add sodium lactate to the recipe. That shouldn't affect the results should it?

Also I love a textured top (I'm horrible at swirls and designs), but that is a tip i will definitely keep in mine. Thanks.

50%

I have done several batches at 50% water here recently. They are still newer so shrinkage is not yet apparent. I also add 2% sodium lactate. It's very pourable and bubbly. Makes me think of hot candy at the pour. I will have bars on storage for a while as we don't go through soap that fast here. I'll keep everyone posted on shrinkage or warping as they age.

Rene

I have done several batches at 50% water here recently. They are still newer so shrinkage is not yet apparent. I also add 2% sodium lactate. It's very pourable and bubbly. Makes me think of hot candy at the pour. I will have bars on storage for a while as we don't go through soap that fast here. I'll keep everyone posted on shrinkage or warping as they age.

Rene

Rene I'm happen to know that number is adjustable. Do you have any pics of your cut bar? I haven't seen any cut just still in the pot pics.

The problem for myself is this.
Yes I want smooth.

But if I add water I get sweating soap. If I don't water discount the soap only lasts like 1 day in the bathroom.

I know this might seem strange, but I got soap monster people lol.

People that use soap in this house like it is crack candy.

This is a true story.

What temperature are you pouring it at?

I'm very interested ,because I read my issues came from water.
Like to much water.
Every experiment I did pointed towards to much water.
If I could actually use the water.. that would be seriously wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem for myself is this.
Yes I want smooth.

But if I add water I get sweating soap. If I don't water discount the soap only lasts like 1 day in the bathroom.

I know this might seem strange, but I got soap monster people lol.

People that use soap in this house like it is crack candy.

This is a true story.

What temperature are you pouring it at?

I'm very interested ,because I read my issues came from water.
Like to much water.
Every experiment I did pointed towards to much water.
If I could actually use the water.. that would be seriously wonderful.

This post is 3 years old. The OP hasn't been here in 2 years. Not likely to get a response. :)

Back