Smooth bar of soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony0327

Reaction score
Greetings,

So I was at a farmers market this past weekend and saw a soap shop. His soaps were smooth. How can I go about getting a smooth bath of soap. I should rephrase it. How can I go about getting a smooth clean looking bar of soap? Also, is it normal for soap to be slippery when I cut it.

Thanks,

Anthony

What are you using to cut your bars? The soaps you saw were probably planed to make them smooth.

I'm not sure what you mean by slippery, but no, I wouldn't say my soap is slippery when I cut it.

It's not like wet slippery but I guess you can say oily but I think I may know why. I am using a crinkle cutter and miter box.

Soaps that have wax, although I have not use wax, from what I have seen, look what I would call smoother.

I know from experience that if you use a loaf mold and cut it, is not as "smooth" as if you use a mold with individual bars. The soap that touches the silicone is very sleek.

or perhaps they were MP?

Greetings,

So I was at a farmers market this past weekend and saw a soap shop. His soaps were smooth. How can I go about getting a smooth bath of soap. I should rephrase it. How can I go about getting a smooth clean looking bar of soap? Also, is it normal for soap to be slippery when I cut it.

Thanks,

Anthony

Really, I think it has a lot to do with your particular formula and the process you are using whether or not you soap comes out smooth. Also the molds make a difference on smooth surfaces.

For example, hot process soap, for me tends to be rougher unless I carefully plane the surfaces.

Soaping cool tends to result in smoother surfaces than soaping hot, for me anyway.

Some oils or combinations thereof seem to create a more waxy-like surface than others and that surface is really quite smooth.

And finally, the molds... Some silicone molds are so smooth and slick on the internal surfaces, that the sides of the soap that touch those surfaces are always super smooth for me when I soap cool.

However, even if I soap cool, the surface can become somewhat rough if the soap overheats. So I have learned to be careful when I CPOP to use the lowest setting possible on my oven.

Back