Smooth and shiny

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1101FD50-60C6-401B-8F6E-803ED15E35AD.jpeg C9EE2D54-F460-4897-9F14-7A7FE1C0BC66.jpeg Some of the soaps I see here and elsewhere are so beautifully smooth and shiny. Is there a technique to making soaps look like this or does it depend on how the Soap was cut? Mine are not as smooth and I can’t figure out why. Thanks![/ATTACH]

Cutting at the proper time will make a bar smooth, but to get it shiny you probably either have to give it a water bath, or steam it.

ETA: Smooth bars will also be determined by any additives (or not) added and which method of making was used. I can never get a perfectly smooth HP bar.

If you cut your soap with a wire, the surface is likely to be a little bumpy. You can plane off a thin shaving to smooth the cut surface -- there are people who sell soap planers for this purpose.

If you then want the soap to also be shiny, I'd try the others' suggestions.

Soaps with a higher hardness tend to be able to take a polish better than a soft oil recipe.
Salt bars and brine soaps tend to be less shiny, and beeswax soaps more shiny, so as jcandleattic says, additives make a difference.

Some oils naturally add sheen (rice bran oil is one that springs to mind).
Gelled soaps tend to be more shiny than ungelled soaps.

Polishing soap can be done with a cloth or a gloved finger, and can make even an ungelled soap surface take on a sheen.
Dipping the soap in water (and perhaps a quick rub over the face to smooth it), immediately after the cut, can leave a shiny face on the cured soap.

I can't see very clear but what I do see is very nice looking soap. They actually look nice n "creamy" :)

I also noticed soleseifes/brine soaps tend to be smoother.. But SaltedFig gave you good info, just thought I'd add that in case you wanted to try them.

Beautiful natural creamy soap. I take each soap immediately after I cut and smooth the sides with a paper towel. Gets my little bumps from the wire out very well. Later I use a clothes steamer on them before putting them away for storage after cure.

Back