Smoocher Scrub

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last winter I had horribly rough lips that I could not tame with a balm. I eventually tackled it with a really basic sugar scrub, though admittedly, winter was nearly over. This year I'd like to try something a tad more sophisticated. Has anyone tried this lip scrub recipe by Soap Queen, or do you have another you'd recommend?

TIA, your advice is much appreciated.

I use my lip balm recipe with sugar added. It seems to help a great deal keeping the dried skin at bay. Didn't think of using my emulsified scrub. Might have to give it a try as I just made a triple batch unscented yet.

I've tried and liked that one. The only thing I changed was to use Pumpkin Seed oil instead of Sweet Almond. I also used their Cucumber and Melon Flavor Oil instead of buttercream. - thought it was nice for a spa-type application.

Strangely enough, my guy testers loved this the most. Thanks for reminding me of the recipe - I'll probably whip up a batch to go in the stockings! I might omit the flavor sweetener. With all that sugar, I don't think it really needed it.

Last winter I had horribly rough lips that I could not tame with a balm. I eventually tackled it with a really basic sugar scrub, though admittedly, winter was nearly over. This year I'd like to try something a tad more sophisticated. Has anyone tried this lip scrub recipe by Soap Queen, or do you have another you'd recommend?

TIA, your advice is much appreciated.

I made this tonight.... sort of. I couldn't find my bottle of Vitamin E oil, for one thing. I also added a little bit of cocoa butter and compensated the hardness of the cocoa butter with a touch of camellina oil, in addition to the avocado oil instead of sweet almond oil. I don't like flavouring in my lip balm (or scrubs) except for a bit of peppermint. I have to say I'm loving it and am tempted to make it again as a lip balm, leaving the sugar out.

This is definitely the time of year for dry lips and, after trying this, my lips are nice and soft and smooth. Nice recipe!

For those that have used this recipe, does it harden enough for tubes or does the sugar soften it enough to need the pots!

Cool, I think I'll try it. I have everything on hand, even a few jars. Thanks for letting me know it's worth a try, in some form or another.

I've tried and liked that one. The only thing I changed was to use Pumpkin Seed oil instead of Sweet Almond. I also used their Cucumber and Melon Flavor Oil instead of buttercream. - thought it was nice for a spa-type application.

I made this tonight.... I have to say I'm loving it and am tempted to make it again as a lip balm, leaving the sugar out.

This is definitely the time of year for dry lips and, after trying this, my lips are nice and soft and smooth. Nice recipe!

I use my lip balm recipe with sugar added. It seems to help a great deal keeping the dried skin at bay. Didn't think of using my emulsified scrub. Might have to give it a try as I just made a triple batch unscented yet.

I was hedging that I didn't need flavoring oil, especially with all my EOs. So I'm glad glad to get this feedback too!

No and I don't want to. That recipe would have me wanted for cupcakes. EVIL!

I might omit the flavor sweetener. With all that sugar, I don't think it really needed it.

I don't like flavouring in my lip balm (or scrubs) except for a bit of peppermint.

I was actually thinking of using a titch of grapefruit EO. I love it so much but CP discourages me from using it. Think it would be okay since it's not a leave-on? I wouldn't even ask if just for myself, but if I'm going to make this, I'll likely give some away.

I was actually thinking of using a titch of grapefruit EO. I love it so much but CP discourages me from using it. Think it would be okay since it's not a leave-on? I wouldn't even ask if just for myself, but if I'm going to make this, I'll likely give some away.

Is it folded? If not, I'm always leery of citrus EOs for leave on skin products since they cause photo sensitivity. Having lived in Colorado, I worried about sun burns a lot. If I lived somewhere that's never a concern (e.g. still living in Portland), I might not give a fig in the winter though...

Is it folded? If not, I'm always leery of citrus EOs for leave on skin products since they cause photo sensitivity. Having lived in Colorado, I worried about sun burns a lot. If I lived somewhere that's never a concern (e.g. still living in Portland), I might not give a fig in the winter though...

Two things here... first, would you consider a scrub a leave on? You'd wipe it off, (and presumably add some balm afterward). But I do suppose you're right that some of the EO could linger. I might not worry at my northern latitude (and for how much work confines me inside), but a warning is probably worthy for those I share with.

Second, isn't folded more concentrated, and hence more of a concern for photosensitivity? My pink grapefruit is not folded and I would think that would be better for direct skin application, not worse. Am I missing something?

Thanks for bearing with my questions. I'm normally just a soap gal, so I appreciate you all helping me branch out.

I wipe off most of it, but it does linger a bit. Since I was in the mountains where the thin air would give me the same burn in six minutes that would be caused in half an hour at the sea-side, I was hyper-vigilant about anything citrus.

I have read that folding EOs actually reduces the compounds that cause phototoxicity from SwiftCraftyMonkey (http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2011/12/essential-oils-folded-oils-and.html).

She mentions that it only makes it less likely to cause a problem so she doesn't use citrus in any leave on product. Personally, I've used them without issue in the past, but would just avoid those EOs if was going to be outside for any length of time.

Thanks snappy, that all makes sense.

I didn't realize that phototoxic terpenes are removed during the distilling process. That's handy to know.

Also, I didn't think about the effect of elevation on photosensitivity, mostly because its been so long since I've lived anyplace high (or sunny for that matter). But your words brought back my many years living at or above a mile high (Flagstaff, Arizona (7000') and in Custer, South Dakota [5300']). Elevation certainly does influence the amount of UV exposure. Thanks for helping me think through this -- and also for reminding me of those beautiful places of my past :p

Back