Smoked lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fongdingo

Reaction score
ok so i work at a bbq place and have a lot of fat that comes from the smoker. i have filtered it cooled it and filtered some more. Its a dark color.
My question is can i use this lard? will it make the soap brown? has anyone else used pig fat from a smoker?

I would assume that brown lard would make brown soap. I've never worked with smoked lard, but I am thinking it sounds like the lard is burned. I have burned tallow by mistake. I didn't try to soap with it - on the recommendations I received here, I tossed it.

I too would assume brown lard makes brown or beige soap. I would probably toss it or just not use it. Though, it couldn't hurt to try a small batch to see if it's usable. Does it still smell smokey too?

going to try it

i only do small batches. its all just for fun for me. Im going to do it. thanks for the input. i guess this will be a first for some. I will post pics too when starting. Yes the smokey smell is in the fat.

Last edited:
I WOULD make a 1 pound of it. why because RUSTIC SOAP IS IN..

VINTAGE FARMERS WOULD WASTE NOT.. AND MAKE USE OF THIS SOAP..

it may be brown.. but add some white sea salt to that and it may turn a smoke lard soap to something fabulous.

and imagine the label Smoke Lard Soap.. :) hell HIPSTER will buy that

WHAT DOES IT SMELL LIKE..

I've never used lard from a smoker, but I have managed to use some pretty questionable lard using Lionprincess's cleaning method detailed in this thread:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=487085&postcount=36

Even just one time with the baking soda & salt, and another boil with just equal parts lard to water should reduce the smoke smell and lighten it a lot (if that's what you want).

I can say I would not use the fat that is left from my smoker. It is really dark and extremely smoky. But then other the other hand, it is something I have not tried....hummmmm. Next week or so I will be smoking a whole pork loin, just might try a teensy batch. Just to say I tried it!

I did it, looks like dark peanut butter.... So the smoker that the lard is coming from is a gas assisted smoker using oak and hickory. we smoke at a temp of around 250 275. Ive seen my fair share of spent oil and burned oil since i am a seasoned chef. This lard is different its smoked infused, but not burnt. I do not make soap often, well really im a newbe at it. i got the basics down. I made a 2 pound batch. it set. I could not get it to "trace up" or become a pudding consistency , but i mixed for five minutes and poured it into a wax paper lined amazon box. Im just about to cut them and make another post about it.
i guess too that i could make my own lye too, since i have access to large amounts of buckets and hard wood ash, but.....

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read and comment.

Very cool, barbecue soap! I don't think I've seen a similar experiment.

Was it 100% lard? If so, you have the ultimate test. Imagine what you could get from a more balanced recipe, blended with other oils. I look forward to your follow-ups -- including pics!

Back