SMF Ucuuba butter fatty acid profile discrepancy ?

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by cherrybleach, Jun 8, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 8, 2019 #1

cherrybleach

cherrybleach

cherrybleach

Supporting Member

The updates so far have been very wonderful! Again, thank you so much for making this available to everyone and for all the work you guys have put into it!

Concern:
    The SAP/fatty acid profile for Ucuuba butter listed on SMF mirrors the profile used by SoapCalc, but I have found documentation that states otherwise. This could be potentially dangerous.

Any chance the numbers could be updated or am I totally off-base with this inference?

I've taken into consideration the numbers from New Directions Aromatics' COA and from Citróleo's Technical information (from UL Prospector), Firestone’s Physical and Chemical Characteristics of Oils, Fats, and Waxes (2006), and Pardauil et al.’s “Characterization, Thermal Properties, and Phase Transitions of Amazonian Vegetable Oils” (2017) that suggest the SAP/iodine value/fatty acid profile is quite different from the current values used by SMF. I have tabulated differences between the SMF & SoapCalc numbers, and the respective NDA and Citróleo numbers below:

Note: I'd calculate the missing NaOH SAP values but am rushed for time right now. Ucuuba butter can be sourced from either Virola surinamensis or Virola sebifera, the SAP/iodine values/fatty acid profiles appear to be interchangeable. Apologies for the table's mixed column justification!
    [​IMG]

*Firestone, David (ed.), Physical and Chemical Characteristics of Oils, Fats, and Waxes. (2006): 219.

**Pardauil, Juliana J. R., Fábio Alberto de Molfetta, Miguel Braga, Luiz K. C. de Souza, Geraldo N. R. Filho, José R. Zamian, and C. E. F. da Costa. “Characterization, Thermal Properties and Phase Transitions of Amazonian Vegetable Oils.” Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry 127, no. 2 (February 2017): 1221–29. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-016-5605-5.

As well, the fatty acid profile has been discussed earlier on this forum:
    I have all the documents referenced on my hard drive. Let me know if you'd like copies.
    Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.