SMF Soapmaking Challenge November: Drop and Skewer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Kchaystack - I need a new idea for a video...
2. doriettefarm - I'm in, ordered a 1lb loaf mold and it arrives tomorrow!
3. Traderbren- I'm always in for a reason to make soap.
4. Snappyllama - Delicate and Wispy ?!?! I'm more of a plop-and-hope-for-the-best swirler... this is going to be a challenge.
5. dibbles - I'm in!
6. coffeetime- needs an assistant to get this in. Should I hold this addition for a nice ransom?
7. Mrs Spaceship - Yay, I get to break in my new tall & skinny mold!
8. newbie- oh crud. Drop swirls are not so easy for me.
9. BlackDog - because I'm not through punishing myself with swirls just yet!
10. Commoncenz - because despite my name, when it comes to these challenges, I'm clearly lacking common sense
11. MissChief - because I just don't have enough soap yet
12. DeeAnna. Ulp! I just got back from 3 days of scuba diving in Florida, and I think oxygen narcosis affecting my brain.
13. Dharlee - is this right? lol
14. Saponista- avoided the number 13 so surely spectacular soap is forthcoming
15. Judiraz- I'm w/ newbie, drop swirls are not my best.
16. PenelopeJane - my first try in a comp and doing a drop swirl.
17. Afbrat - that last challenge was fun!
18. Deedles - Another diver who can't blame this on Nitrogen. Gotta jump in the deep end at some point!
19. gigisiguenza - even though the soap gremlins have taken up residence in my soap closet and are wreaking havoc on my soaps lately
20. mymy - normally my mate is doing all of the swirls! Now I want to try it myself.
21. CaraBou - Another diver down, to the deep, envisioning Haida bubblenet swirls around salmon, sea lions and humpback whales
22. Cactuslily - She's all in! Ante up!
23. AMD - because NaNoWriMo isn't enough of a challenge this month
24. Sonya-m - hopefully I will have unpacked my soap supplies in time!!
25. Songwind - Sounds like fun!
26. Soapswirl - swirl challenge? Of course I'm in
27. jules92207 - I can definitely swear so I'm half way there
28. lenarenee- happy that this does not require paper cup pours, but suffering from dishpan hands.
29. Krystalbee - Yay I can finally participate! Love to swirl.
30. KristaY - I can't come up with anything fun to say because I'm ROTFL at all the dropping and swearing!

I was feeling very frustrated by this challenge, wondering how I was going to make a distinctive soap with this challenge criteria. I just had a lightbulb moment and I think I'm excited now :)

Quick question-

We need to use a minimum 2 separate colors for the drop swirl portion. If you use an ITP swirl of those two colors, does that count as your two colors? Or would that two-color ITP drop be counted as a single color and I need to add another color for the second drop swirl pour portion?

4. Snappyllama - Delicate and Wispy ?!?! I'm more of a plop-and-hope-for-the-best swirler... this is going to be a challenge.
5. dibbles - I'm in!
6. coffeetime- needs an assistant to get this in. Should I hold this addition for a nice ransom?
10. Commoncenz - because despite my name, when it comes to these challenges, I'm clearly lacking common sense
12. DeeAnna. Ulp! I just got back from 3 days of scuba diving in Florida, and I think oxygen narcosis affecting my brain.
18. Deedles - Another diver who can't blame this on Nitrogen. Gotta jump in the deep end at some point!
19. gigisiguenza - even though the soap gremlins have taken up residence in my soap closet and are wreaking havoc on my soaps lately
20. mymy - normally my mate is doing all of the swirls! Now I want to try it myself.
21. CaraBou - Another diver down, to the deep, envisioning Haida bubblenet swirls around salmon, sea lions and humpback whales
28. lenarenee- happy that this does not require paper cup pours, but suffering from dishpan hands.
30. KristaY - I can't come up with anything fun to say because I'm ROTFL at all the dropping and swearing!
31. SunWolf - Love drop swirling! :thumbup:

Sigh. I just made attempt #1. I don't think it went well. Can I PM one of the moderators a pic to see if I drop swirled and sweared right? After I cut the bars of course!

Quick question-

We need to use a minimum 2 separate colors for the drop swirl portion. If you use an ITP swirl of those two colors, does that count as your two colors? Or would that two-color ITP drop be counted as a single color and I need to add another color for the second drop swirl pour portion?

Ooooo. Good question I have not thought of. Ok. Ill allow an ipt drop to be your two colors IF the itp drop doesn't include your base. Use two new colors and it'll count. How's that? Great question!

You know I want all 93, Lenarenee!

Hey, don't hog them all; some of your dixie proteges could use some too!

Seriously, Lenarenee, give the cups another try or two. They really can help simplify your artistic adventures and your cleanup! My tips, for what they are worth: thinner is better, and keep the cups light :)

Hey, don't hog them all; some of your dixie proteges could use some too!

Seriously, Lenarenee, give the cups another try or two. They really can help simplify your artistic adventures and your cleanup! My tips, for what they are worth: thinner is better, and keep the cups light :)

Okay, but I'm practicing with plain old water first! I could not get that batter to get close to where I wanted!

Argh, just realized I can't work on this this weekend! I had planned to, but I wasn't thinking about a group trip we're going on.

I mean, you can't leave soap in the mold for 4 days and expect it to be cuttable, can you?

Argh, just realized I can't work on this this weekend! I had planned to, but I wasn't thinking about a group trip we're going on.

I mean, you can't leave soap in the mold for 4 days and expect it to be cuttable, can you?

It's a bit extreme (but needs must , as we say in England) do you have anything you could use as dividers? Those thin bendy cutting boards could be made into dividers at a push. That way you only have to unmold it!!!

I've actually had fine luck cutting soaps for quite some time after saponification. I've done it maybe 4 or 5 times, and have always been surprised at how well it works. I imagine it depends on your recipe (don't even try with salt in there), and your mold (silcone - no problem) so ymmv. I've had to wait 5-7 days a couple of times when my work required travel, and one time I was so discouraged by initial cuts that I put a half loaf away for what I think was a couple months before being courageous enough to finish.

Honestly, with what I've experienced, I wouldn't hesitate waiting a week if I had to (but please say I won't have to ever again - it's torture!). Just don't expect to use a wire cutter, and be sure to use solid guides as it may be harder to get a straight cut without them.

5. dibbles - I'm in!
31. SunWolf - Love drop swirling! :thumbup:
32. TeresaT - Because sucking at the previous two challenges just wasn't enough! :wink:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to withdraw from this month's challenge. Everything is up in the air right now. At some point in the next week or so, I'll be traveling out of town for my grandson's memorial service and I'm not sure when that will be.

I'll try the technique when life has settled down a little. I am looking forward to seeing what you all come up with, though.

Latest posts

Back