SMF Soapmaking Challenge November: Drop and Skewer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Welcome to*November's SMF Soap Challenge. This month I decided on an easy technique that can yield beautiful results. It's a drop swirl skewer technique, and keep in mind this is a US holiday month, so dates will be slightly different than previous challenges.

Edit to say, everyone please refrain from posting your submission soaps in this thread. Wait for the submission thread we will start to post your entries (we love the anticipation, Thx!!)
Here is my video tutorial
[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BwsjDkgfMUg[/ame]
[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-2kbTn_W3no[/ame]
[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uJDFycJt59o[/ame]

SMF Challenge General Rules
· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
· Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
· The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
· Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The thread will open on 11/16/15 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)
· After the closing date 11/23/15 the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced at the end of the month, 11/30/15. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.
· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfill the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.
· Newbie, Saponista, Lionproncess00, Sonya-m and GalaxyMLP reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.*

Challenge Specific Rules
· You must use a log mold. The smaller 1 pound log molds (from bb for example) are completely acceptable
· You must pour a solid single colored base, or if you want you may pour an itp base instead (a limit of 2 colors into the pot for an itp, and you may also color "the pot" you're pouring into for a total of 3 colors used with the itp portion)
· You must then use a drop swirl, with a minimum of two colors, dropped into the mold
· You then must use a skewer device (bamboo skewer works well, you could also use a straw here), and skewer down/up in any pattern you choose, swirls must be seen in every soap
· To enter you must submit a photo or video showing your cut soaps and a picture of the skewer you used. Wet in the mold pictures are welcomed, but not required.

To sum up the rules
-Opening thread for you entry 11/16/15
-Close date 11/23/15
Winner announced 11/30/15
-Must pour a solid single colored base, or an itp base is acceptable with a limit of 2 colors into the pot, and you may color the base in the pot for a total of 3
-Must drop swirl a minimum of two colors
-Must use a skewer and swirl into the batter hitting each soap
-Must show a pic of the swirl rod
-Must show cut soap picture(s)
-Pictures of your entire process are welcomed (it is a great learning tool to see the entire process), but not a requirement

Last edited:
1. Kchaystack - I need a new idea for a video...

2. doriettefarm - I'm in, ordered a 1lb loaf mold and it arrives tomorrow!

3. Traderbren- I'm always in for a reason to make soap.

4. Snappyllama - Delicate and Wispy ?!?! I'm more of a plop-and-hope-for-the-best swirler... this is going to be a challenge. :D

4. Snappyllama - Delicate and Wispy ?!?! I'm more of a plop-and-hope-for-the-best swirler... this is going to be a challenge.
5. dibbles - I'm in!

4. Snappyllama - Delicate and Wispy ?!?! I'm more of a plop-and-hope-for-the-best swirler... this is going to be a challenge.
5. dibbles - I'm in!
6. Coffeetime
7. Mrs Spaceship - Yay, I get to break in my new tall & skinny mold!

5. dibbles - I'm in!
6. coffeetime- needs an assistant to get this in. Should I hold this addition for a nice ransom?
8. newbie- oh crud. Drop swirls are not so easy for me.

LP, can we use our base color as a drop, in addition to the two color drop requirement?

Another question for LP . . . can we add things to our base color that don't color it completely but would give a speckled/textured look? I'm thinking poppy seeds, walnut shell powder, coffee grounds, etc.

5. dibbles - I'm in!
6. coffeetime- needs an assistant to get this in. Should I hold this addition for a nice ransom?

LP, can we use our base color as a drop, in addition to the two color drop requirement?

In addition to, yes. So long as you use two or more colors to drop, not of the base, you may use the base to drop as well.

5. dibbles - I'm in!
9. BlackDog - because I'm not through punishing myself with swirls just yet!

5. dibbles - I'm in!
10. Commoncenz - because despite my name, when it comes to these challenges, I'm clearly lacking common sense

5. dibbles - I'm in!
10. Commoncenz - because despite my name, when it comes to these challenges, I'm clearly lacking common sense
11. MissChief - because I just don't have enough soap yet

5. dibbles - I'm in!
11. MissChief - because I just don't have enough soap yet
12. DeeAnna. Ulp! I just got back from 3 days of scuba diving in Florida, and I think oxygen narcosis affecting my brain.

Not to derail the thread, but DeeAnna, I'm a diver too! Apparently soaping is not our only expensive hobby, lol! Except I clearly don't need oxygen narcosis to make obviously bad decisions like signing up for a second swirl challenge :shock:

Back