SMF Soap Making Challenge: September Discoloring FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea! Just a reminder to keep 1/5 of the batter scented and uncolored , and you can color other portions with the discoloring fo so long as its the same or darker I believe it states and you're good to go!

Is this correct galaxy?

Yes, thats correct. I want to clarify something though that I'm not sure I got across clearly.

As long as one portion of your batter is uncolored w/ fragrance, you can do whatever colors you want with the rest of it (as long as one of the colors is a logo color) no matter how dark/different it is from your discoloring FO.

The rule about the "end color of your FO must be darker than the amount of color you put in" only applies if you are not doing a section without color already. The purpose of that rule is so we can all get a feeling of what your FO discolors to by itself.

I'll give you an example with brick red and a gradient. Your FO discolors to brown.
So, you split the batter into 5 parts.

1. you add your DFO only to it
2. Add DFO + a small amount of color
3. less DFO + more color
4. Even less DFO and more color
5. No DFO and only color.

Here you would have your brick red which lets say you choose goes with the levis logo.

To enter, you would say:
Here is my soap. It is colored with "Levis Red" (Brick red oxide) and my discoloring FO is ____. The bottom layer has only the discoloring FO in it.

Gosh, I really did make this complicated didnt I? I'm sorry guys...

1. GalaxyMLP (I almost forgot to add the sign up... Oh wait, I did)

2. Newbie (Thinking brown. Wait, that sounds like I'm focusing on using the john.)

3. Mrs. Spaceship (The plan is in place, it's just a matter of getting the execution right)

4. Dillsandwitch (Brown, brown, brown. Why dont I have any that go purple?)

5. Jules92207 (really going to try for something other than brown but not convinced I can pull it off yet...)

6. KCHaystack (I think I will need a lawyer to understand all these rules - Help me Not-Ally, you're my only hope.)

7. TheDragonGirl (I sort of want to do black and brown with some gold highlight, hn, Tazo is black.. )

8. not_ally (K, you're on your own, I am waiting until other people ask questions! But I liked your question, it reminded me of Star Wars All of my discoloring FOs are brown too, so my soap is going to be brown plus something else.)

9. doriettefarm (I'm in, I can do this and might have a surprise up my sleeve that isn't brown!)

10. Commoncenz (Wondering if "Steelers" gold/yellow counts as a "brand"?)

11. TVivian (in! No ideas and nothing interesting to say but I wanted to fit in)

12. CaraBou ($h!+ brown all the way. Does that qualify as a brand? Def recognizable!)

13. Saponista (Why aren't there any famous brown uk brands?!?!?!)

14. Vmakkers (BF is out of town again starting Friday. Now I will have a soapathon with a purpose. This will be my first time using FO as a color)

15. Lionprincess (I...think...I...have...a...plan...)

16. Sonya-m (will have to think of something clever to add here at a later date as mind is blank!!)

17. Soapswirl (will have to get my act together and post an entry this month!)

18. dibbles (DFO selection is slim...another brown)

19. Osso (in, but not sure what yet)

20. gigisiguenza (I'm in but not sure what I'm gonna do yet )

21. traderbren (it's only failure if you don't even try)

2. Newbie (Thinking brown. Wait, that sounds like I'm focusing on using the john.)

3. Mrs. Spaceship (The plan is in place, it's just a matter of getting the execution right)

5. Jules92207 (really going to try for something other than brown but not convinced I can pull it off yet...)

6. KCHaystack (I think I will need a lawyer to understand all these rules - Help me Not-Ally, you're my only hope.)

7. TheDragonGirl (I sort of want to do black and brown with some gold highlight, hn, Tazo is black.. )

8. not_ally (K, you're on your own, I am waiting until other people ask questions! But I liked your question, it reminded me of Star Wars All of my discoloring FOs are brown too, so my soap is going to be brown plus something else.)

9. doriettefarm (I'm in, I can do this and might have a surprise up my sleeve that isn't brown!)

11. TVivian (in! No ideas and nothing interesting to say but I wanted to fit in)

12. CaraBou ($h!+ brown all the way. Does that qualify as a brand? Def recognizable!)

14. Vmakkers (BF is out of town again starting Friday. Now I will have a soapathon with a purpose. This will be my first time using FO as a color)

16. Sonya-m (will have to think of something clever to add here at a later date as mind is blank!!)

22. SunWolf (I'm in...won't be able to sneak one in just under the wire this time...or the morph won't show!! :lol:)

Okay so I'll be joining- My FO will be Aztec's Eggnog, My two colors will be TD, & tangerine Wow which is the color of Fanta Soda. I'll use the Fanta soda in both the scented & unscented portions of the batter, & TD in both etc...will be Fun..now to choose a swirl.

how do I join? I thought I tried to Join this, I'm sure I have over 50 post & have been a member for 4 months now.

Last edited:

22. SunWolf (I'm in...won't be able to sneak one in just under the wire this time...or the morph won't show!! )

23. skayc1(will be Fun..now to choose a swirl)

Last edited:
That's my quote from what I previously asked...my funny, should I change it? I changed it.

I made my first attempt for this challenge today...the top is not quite what I hoped, but the inside might just be what I'm looking for.

I have a question about adding the FO...say I have 1 oz & am doing a 5% ppo (.5 oz per lb) & have 32 ounces of oils, & remove some batter before adding the FO, would I need to use less FO, & measure how much batter I remove, or use the 1 oz since it's going into the same mold?

Whooohooo I'm in! Only one small hitch in the way at the moment.

22. SunWolf (I'm in...won't be able to sneak one in just under the wire this time...or the morph won't show!! )

23. skayc1(will be Fun..now to choose a swirl)

24. TwystedPryncess (trots off to find a mold the pitbull didn't chew a corner off of last night while she was at work... :problem: )

Question: If we decorate, do we need to decorate towards the brand/logo (your example, Victoria's Secret, maybe you might have put some...ah, melt & pour angel wings on there for the VS angels) or toward our FO scent (I don't know what you used, if you stated it, I missed it, I am sorry. But for example's sake let's just use Pumpkin Spice, so let's say you might put, oh, I don't know, pink pumpkins on it. Yes, I know, makes no sense, example purposes only though.)

My idea will make sense, but it's a surrrpriiiissse! Just need to know which direction to go. Thanks!

I have a question about adding the FO...say I have 1 oz & am doing a 5% ppo (.5 oz per lb) & have 32 ounces of oils, & remove some batter before adding the FO, would I need to use less FO, & measure how much batter I remove, or use the 1 oz since it's going into the same mold?

It depends on how small the section youre adding your FO to is (at least to me!). I would say you can add all your FO (1 oz for you) for the entire batch size in one section (that's what I did). I did get a little bit of weeping FO at first but, it reabsorbed! If you are using a very small section say, 1/4 or 1/5 of the total batch size, you may want to use less FO. Maybe in your case you would only want to use 0.5-0.7 oz or so.

Latest posts

Back