SMF Soap Making Challenge: September Discoloring FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm worried my FO won't discolour enough - it only has 2.26% vanillin. I wonder if I've got anymore that will.

It just has to be a brand name color but you don't have to do the whole design as a brand, right?

Like I was thinking Bruins Brown but I don't want to make a soap that looks like the Bruins. Does that make sense?

It just has to be a brand name color but you don't have to do the whole design as a brand, right?

Like I was thinking Bruins Brown but I don't want to make a soap that looks like the Bruins. Does that make sense?

Yes, you don't have to copy the logo, only the color.

NA, I was also going to say Mcdonalds red. :)

ETA: I forgot to say, you can choose to copy only 1 color from the logo. You do not need to use all the colors in a logo.

Last edited:
Just so I get this right... So we cannot make a soap that is just 2 or 3 shades of brown? We must use a famous company brand color that is not brown? Someone above wanted to use UPS brown. I'm assuming they also wanted to use white and other shades of brown. Would that not be allowed?

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about that. I guess you CAN do it. I just feel like it defeats the purpose kind of to me... I just don't want like half of the people to pick "brown" as their logo color since most FO's discolor to brown and the purpose of picking a logo color was to incorporate some other color besides your discolor into the soap.

I guess I don't want someone to pick a color combo and then not think about the logo aspect to it and just pick some brown logo to make it work.

However, the way I have it written in the rules, it seems you are allowed to do lets say brown and lighter brown. If it suits your fancy then, go for it.

In conclusion: You can use brown as your logo color.

This looks like fun, although I don't know if I have a well known colorant, I do have TD. I also have colorants from BB, from TKB Trading, & from Aztec. I have colorants from a site called Bescented, i do not think they are well known. The FO I would use is Eggnog from Aztec- I have 2 colorants from them (Fluorescent Yellow-orange & Fluorescent magenta) not sure if those colors are well known. I have tangerine Wow, Brick red, Ultramarine Pink, & Ultramarine lavender from Brambleberry. I also have Pearl Pink, Pearl Blue, Pearl green, pearl yellow, Pearl white, Ye old neon Orange, & I think Pearl Lavender. The bescented colors I won't mention. are any of these colors well known?

Skayc, I think the easiest way is just to pick at least one color you want to do and then come up with a brand logo in a color that matches that (or comes close). So for me, b/c I knew I wanted to use bright red as one of my colors, folks suggested a logo that contained bright red.

Eg, if you wanted to use your tangerine wow, you could say your brand was Fanta soda. I hope that makes sense. It doesn't matter if your colorant is well known, just that the brand is, and that they match.

It doesn't have to be a well known color as per my understanding. You choose a color or several colors to incorporate into your soap. Then you pick a logo that is the same color as one of yours in your soap. If you choose red, blue, and yellow and say it's a Coca-Cola red, and you used any brand red mica, that works.

Edit, not ally said it well with the tangerine wow example.

Okay so I'll be joining- My FO will be Aztec's Eggnog, My two colors will be TD, & tangerine Wow which is the color of Fanta Soda. I'll use the Fanta soda in both the scented & unscented portions of the batter, & TD in both etc...will be Fun..now to choose a swirl.

Okay so I'll be joining- My FO will be Aztec's Eggnog, My two colors will be TD, & tangerine Wow which is the color of Fanta Soda. I'll use the Fanta soda in both the scented & unscented portions of the batter, & TD in both etc...will be Fun..now to choose a swirl.

Yea! Just a reminder to keep 1/5 of the batter scented and uncolored , and you can color other portions with the discoloring fo so long as its the same or darker I believe it states and you're good to go!

Is this correct galaxy?

I think I'd like to join in this time. It's only a failure if you don't try, right?

I'll be back to copy and paste the list when my kiddo gets done her homework at my desk. My mobile c&p skills lack.

Back