SMF Soap Making Challenge: September Discoloring FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, please copy this list and add on to sign up:

1. GalaxyMLP (I almost forgot to add the sign up... Oh wait, I did)

2. Newbie (Thinking brown. Wait, that sounds like I'm focusing on using the john.)

3. Mrs. Spaceship (The plan is in place, it's just a matter of getting the execution right)

4. Dillsandwitch (Brown, brown, brown. Why dont I have any that go purple?)

5. Jules92207 (really going to try for something other than brown but not convinced I can pull it off yet...)

6. KCHaystack (I think I will need a lawyer to understand all these rules - Help me Not-Ally, you're my only hope.)

7. TheDragonGirl (I sort of want to do black and brown with some gold highlight, hn, Tazo is black.. )

8. not_ally (K, you're on your own, I am waiting until other people ask questions! But I liked your question, it reminded me of Star Wars All of my discoloring FOs are brown too, so my soap is going to be brown plus something else.)

9. doriettefarm (I'm in, I can do this and might have a surprise up my sleeve that isn't brown!)

10. Commoncenz (Wondering if "Steelers" gold/yellow counts as a "brand"?)

11. TVivian (in! No ideas and nothing interesting to say but I wanted to fit in)

12. CaraBou ($h!+ brown all the way. Does that qualify as a brand? Def recognizable!)

13. Saponista (Why aren't there any famous brown uk brands?!?!?!)

14. Vmakkers (BF is out of town again starting Friday. Now I will have a soapathon with a purpose. This will be my first time using FO as a color)

15. Lionprincess (I...think...I...have...a...plan...:shifty:)

16. Sonya-m (will have to think of something clever to add here at a later date as mind is blank!!)

2. Newbie (Thinking brown. Wait, that sounds like I'm focusing on using the john.)

3. Mrs. Spaceship (The plan is in place, it's just a matter of getting the execution right)

5. Jules92207 (really going to try for something other than brown but not convinced I can pull it off yet...)

6. KCHaystack (I think I will need a lawyer to understand all these rules - Help me Not-Ally, you're my only hope.)

7. TheDragonGirl (I sort of want to do black and brown with some gold highlight, hn, Tazo is black.. )

8. not_ally (K, you're on your own, I am waiting until other people ask questions! But I liked your question, it reminded me of Star Wars All of my discoloring FOs are brown too, so my soap is going to be brown plus something else.)

9. doriettefarm (I'm in, I can do this and might have a surprise up my sleeve that isn't brown!)

11. TVivian (in! No ideas and nothing interesting to say but I wanted to fit in)

12. CaraBou ($h!+ brown all the way. Does that qualify as a brand? Def recognizable!)

14. Vmakkers (BF is out of town again starting Friday. Now I will have a soapathon with a purpose. This will be my first time using FO as a color)

15. Lionprincess (I...think...I...have...a...plan...)

16. Sonya-m (will have to think of something clever to add here at a later date as mind is blank!!)

17. Soapswirl (will have to get my act together and post an entry this month!)

16. dibbles (DFO selection is slim...another brown)

18. dibbles (DFO selection is slim...another brown)

19. Osso (in, but not sure what yet)

18. dibbles (DFO selection is slim...another brown)

19. Osso (in, but not sure what yet)

20. gigisiguenza (I'm in but not sure what I'm gonna do yet )

I really want a good size slab mold for this one (ie; want depth *and* width), neither of which I have enough of (for what I have in mind) in my little BB slab. This is one of those times when I really, really wish I was handy. I am trying to restrain myself from going in search of yet another mold.

Darn you, Galaxy!

Last edited:
Ally - I've been making mine out of foam core board and lining them with parchment paper. It's very inexpensive and easy to do.

Here's a link to a video that shows a way to make them. Her method is similar to mine. I'll post the other link when I find it :)

http://youtu.be/7_Hd0eFrfYs

ETA here is another link http://youtu.be/DwvlL2LajHU

ETA 2 and I get the foam core board at the dollar store for a $1 each :)

Last edited:
Thanks, Gigi! I have foam core, and can cut it, that is actually something that I can do. Although, man, she is quick at cutting them. I take so long - and then still make mistakes - that I am tempted to just go to the dollar store and see if I can find something workable (also something the video reminded me about.)

Very useful, thanks again.

Last edited:
Please don't use a brown logo as your color. I think it kind of defeats the purpose... :(

Oh I hope it doesn't! I see this as a great opportunity to see that brown DFO's really can be center point and beautiful. I don't know my logo yet or my design, but I plan to use browns since so often I avoid them.

Just so you know, if I hadn't been filming myself, that wouldve been me forgetting the scent in the video...

ETA: And I'm sorry DG, that always sucks. :( I hope the nag champa one comes out even more beautiful!

Last edited:
Just so you know, if I hadn't been filming myself, that wouldve been me forgetting the scent in the video...

ETA: And I'm sorry DG, that always sucks. :( I hope the nag champa one comes out even more beautiful!

It will! or I have other tries with blueberry delight, turkish mocha and vanilla buttercream XD

Solid orange with brown speckles is a perfectly pretty colour for orange and clove soap I'd say :)

Take 1. I'm not sure which irritates me more, the fact that my discoloring FO didn't discolor as much as I planned (at least not as dark as I planned but I may have used too little), or the fact that my soap crumbled when I cut it with a knife. I managed to find a bit of wire and salvage three bars and they smell amazing (Nag Champa FO, Clary Sage & Sage EO's)
01dFkUk.jpg

Wait...I'm Stoll confused on the branding thing. You used pink sugar so is that the reason you called it Victoria's secret pink, or is it a section of color that's similar to Victoria's secret pink (your pink mica selection) the reason you named it? I guess my question is are we branding it based on the fragrance name or based on a color choosen (i assumed color...)?

Back