SMF Soap Making Challenge: September Discoloring FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, please copy this list and add on to sign up:

1. GalaxyMLP (I almost forgot to add the sign up... Oh wait, I did)

2. Newbie (Thinking brown. Wait, that sounds like I'm focusing on using the john.)

3. Mrs. Spaceship (The plan is in place, it's just a matter of getting the execution right)

4. Dillsandwitch (Brown, brown, brown. Why dont I have any that go purple?)

5. Jules92207 (really going to try for something other than brown but not convinced I can pull it off yet...)

6. KCHaystack (I think I will need a lawyer to understand all these rules - Help me Not-Ally, you're my only hope.)

7. TheDragonGirl (I sort of want to do black and brown with some gold highlight, hn, Tazo is black.. )

8. not_ally (K, you're on your own, I am waiting until other people ask questions! But I liked your question, it reminded me of Star Wars All of my discoloring FOs are brown too, so my soap is going to be brown plus something else.)

9. doriettefarm (I'm in, I can do this and might have a surprise up my sleeve that isn't brown!)

10. Commoncenz (Wondering if "Steelers" gold/yellow counts as a "brand"?)

11. TVivian (in! No ideas and nothing interesting to say but I wanted to fit in)

Hm! Hot topic is black and red, and I cant colour over all of the brown with black right, I have to leave some of it just brown? I'm going to be trying BB's nag champa for the first time, and I already knew it discolours- although I could go with tumblr blue and use my blueberry cobbler..

Nag Champa is the FO I used in part of my test batch tonight! Great minds and all that. If you go with it, I recommend going a wee bit heavy handed with it, because as far as the actual scent is concerned, at .5 it didn't seem terribly strong when I initially added it, and my other color scent at the same ratio seemed to overpower it once they were in the mold together. :?
I'm just hoping that the ratio gives me a good enough discolor, because it had only got to a dark golden yellow by the time I molded, and now I have to wait until morning.

So I want to know what some of these FO's that discolor to something other than brown are!! Somebody start a list in here pretty please so I can see how badly I need to go shopping?

Last edited:

2. Newbie (Thinking brown. Wait, that sounds like I'm focusing on using the john.)

3. Mrs. Spaceship (The plan is in place, it's just a matter of getting the execution right)

5. Jules92207 (really going to try for something other than brown but not convinced I can pull it off yet...)

6. KCHaystack (I think I will need a lawyer to understand all these rules - Help me Not-Ally, you're my only hope.)

7. TheDragonGirl (I sort of want to do black and brown with some gold highlight, hn, Tazo is black.. )

8. not_ally (K, you're on your own, I am waiting until other people ask questions! But I liked your question, it reminded me of Star Wars All of my discoloring FOs are brown too, so my soap is going to be brown plus something else.)

9. doriettefarm (I'm in, I can do this and might have a surprise up my sleeve that isn't brown!)

11. TVivian (in! No ideas and nothing interesting to say but I wanted to fit in)

12. CaraBou ($h!+ brown all the way. Does that qualify as a brand? Def recognizable!)

Nag Champa is the FO I used in part of my test batch tonight! Great minds and all that. If you go with it, I recommend going a wee bit heavy handed with it, because as far as the actual scent is concerned, at .5 it didn't seem terribly strong when I initially added it, and my other color scent at the same ratio seemed to overpower it once they were in the mold together. :?
I'm just hoping that the ratio gives me a good enough discolor, because it had only got to a dark golden yellow by the time I molded, and now I have to wait until morning.

So I want to know what some of these FO's that discolor to something other than brown are!! Somebody start a list in here pretty please so I can see how badly I need to go shopping?

I'll keep that in mind, thank you!

I was on a Facebook group FO prebuy where they had an FO called sea salt and agave. It discolors to a really pretty pink color. Of course, it doesn't go with the name at all.

12. CaraBou ($h!+ brown all the way. Does that qualify as a brand? Def recognizable!)
12. Saponista (Why aren't there any famous brown uk brands?!?!?!)

I have a question.. Can we use more than one discoloring FO if we have two that discolor differently? Also, can we use a non-discoloring FO in some sections (as opposed to leaving them unscented) as long as 1/5 has a discoloring scent?

I have a question.. Can we use more than one discoloring FO if we have two that discolor differently?

Yes

Also, can we use a non-discoloring FO in some sections (as opposed to leaving them unscented) as long as 1/5 has a discoloring scent?

Also yes, key words in my rules are "at least one"

I love all the questions! The goal here really is to push the limits/have fun with it!

I'm giving this a go today. I really want my fragrance to discolour to brown, so I am in two minds about what to do. I have myrrh fragrance oil that turned my liquid soap a weird reddy brown, so I have a feeling it will do the same in bar soap. I also have a 'vanilla spice' fragrance that I bought on sale which I have no idea about whether it will discolour or accelerate, it is very vanillary so I'm pretty sure it will discolour. I want a deeper darker brown to go with my brand colour than the red brown so do I risk the other fragrance that I have absolutely no idea how it will perform?

I thought your video was great too galaxy. I love hearing people's voices, it makes you seem much more real to me now rather than just words on a screen. :)

13. Saponista (Why aren't there any famous brown uk brands?!?!?!)
14. Vmakkers (BF is out of town again starting Friday. Now I will have a soapathon with a purpose. This will be my first time using FO as a color)

Btw, I did learn something interesting with my FO when I made my soap. Gelled soap will discolor faster than non-gelled soap. So if you want a faster color change, gel your soap!

My little soapy bits that I put into my overflow mold are still a caramel color but the gelled soap itself (I CPOP'ed) became dark almost instantly. In fact, the top came out of the oven already brown. My thought/reasoning for this is that heat can accelerate reactions and the reason for discoloration is oxidation (in the case of a vanilla FO) which is a chemical reaction.

Last edited:
Btw, I did learn something interesting with my FO when I made my soap. Gelled soap will discolor faster than non-gelled soap. So if you want a faster color change, gel your soap!

My little soapy bits that I put into my overflow mold are still a caramel color but the gelled soap itself (I CPOP'ed) became dark almost instantly. In fact, the top came out of the oven already brown. My thought/reasoning for this is that heat can accelerate reactions and the reason for discoloration is oxidation (in the case of a vanilla FO) which is a chemical reaction.

Yes. I have an fo that discolors pink in ungelled yet turns deeper tan when gelled...something to keep in mind.

I was thinking of trying a couple of different FO's that have different (both high) amts of vanilla - they will both be brown, rats - and definitely wanted to gel b/c of the above. I'm not sure if these are going to end up being pretty soaps for me, but I am curious to learn about discoloration in a focused way. I am glad that all of us are focusing on it at the same time!

13. Saponista (Why aren't there any famous brown uk brands?!?!?!)

14. Vmakkers (BF is out of town again starting Friday. Now I will have a soapathon with a purpose. This will be my first time using FO as a color)

15. Lionprincess (I...think...I...have...a...plan...:shifty:)

Back