SMF Soap Making Challenge: September Discoloring FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Challenge date has been extended until the 27th at 11:59 pm Eastern time zone!

This month’s challenge will be the discoloring fragrance oil challenge. We all have them and sometimes it gets hard to decide what to do with them. I mean how many times can you use brown in soap? Not to mention the myriad of other color changes that happen in fragrance oils.

The purpose of this challenge is to give you ideas for future discoloring FO batches. I’ve seen FO’s that discolor from any shade of brown, to oranges, even pinks, blues and greens. Any discoloring FO is a viable choice for this challenge. It does not have to be brown. You can use ANY mold or choice/shape.

SMF Challenge General Rules
· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
· Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
· The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
· Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The thread will open on 9/18/15 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)
· After the closing date 09/23/15 the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced at the end of the month. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.
· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.
· Newbie, Saponista, Lionproncess00, Sonya-m and GalaxyMLP reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.

The rules for this challenge are:
1) You must use a discoloring FO

2) You must use at least 2 colors (Your discolor counts as one and so does TD as do any other colors. Example: A gradient of 5 colors would be 5 colors even if you only used 2 colors to mix)

3) One of your colors must be a color used in a well known brand (see explanation below)

4) You can use sections of the soap that contain no FO (portion that contains FO must be minimum 1/5th of batch)

5) For homogeneity purposes, you *can* add color to your portion w/ the FO. BUT, the end color MUST be equal to or darker than what you add.

6)If you DO add color to your FO portion, I need to see a portion of the batch w/ FO added but no additional color added. For example, add your FO to the batter, mix, take a small amount out, add the color, mix again.

7)I need to know the FO you used, usage rate, and supplier (What if someone just loves your soap??)

Step 3 is my little "twist" that I was referring to. I’ll explain it using the example I did for my demonstration.
The soap I made used Pink Sugar FO from The Candle Source. I used it at 6% ppo. The colors I chose were my FO discolor, white, and pink. The pink is actually “Victorias Secret Pink”. That’s what I mean by a well-known brand.

Examples are (You definitely do not have to stick to this list!):
Tiffany Blue
Twitter Blue
Facebook Blue
UPS Gold
Fedex Green
Fedex Purple
Victorias Secret Pink
You get the idea…

If you are in another country, don’t worry about the company being well known in the US. Just make sure it’s well known in your own country!

Entries must be in the entry thread (will post later) by 11:59 pm eastern time September 23rd.

What do I need to see when you submit an entry?
1. A picture of your soap when first cut

2. A picture of the soap after discoloration (minimum 48 hours)

3. If you used color in your DFO section for mixing purposes, I need to see the uncolored soap after a minimum of 48 hours so we can tell whether or not it's lighter/darker than the FO color. It would probably be good if both the soap with color and the uncolored soap were in the same picture. Remember, this only applies if you have no other section of your soap with your DFO added and no color added.

4. What FO did you use? What amounts? Did you gel your soap?

Edits/clarifications as we go:
You CAN use sports team colors for your "brand" color
You CAN use a discoloring EO as your discoloring FO (I mean, EOs are fragrances after all.)
You CAN use multiple discoloring FO's in one batch.
You CAN use brown as your label color (still not exactly happy with it but ok)

Ok, my video is below. Please understand that I've never done any kind of YouTube video ever before. Especially not soap related! I hope it’s not too bad. My brother came to visit this weekend and he was my soapy helper. So, if you hear another voice (or 2), you aren’t going crazy!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_biqO2eH0q0[/ame]

Pictures (FYI, I CPOP'ed this soap!!):

Soap after 48 hours
Soap in mold
Soap when freshly cut!

IMG_20150831_200957.jpg

IMG_20150830_120429.jpg

IMG_20150830_093155.jpg

Last edited:
1. GalaxyMLP (I almost forgot to add the sign up... Oh wait, I did)
2. Newbie (Thinking brown. Wait, that sounds like I'm focusing on using the john.)

Alright, please copy this list and add on to sign up:

2. Newbie (Thinking brown. Wait, that sounds like I'm focusing on using the john.)

3. Mrs. Spaceship (The plan is in place, it's just a matter of getting the execution right)

3. Mrs. Spaceship (The plan is in place, it's just a matter of getting the execution right)

4. KCHaystack (I think I will need a lawyer to understand all these rules - Help me Not-Ally, you're my only hope.)

4. Dillsandwitch (Brown, brown, brown. Why dont I have any that go purple?)

5. Jules92207 (really going to try for something other than brown but not convinced I can pull it off yet...)

5. Jules92207 (really going to try for something other than brown but not convinced I can pull it off yet...)
6. KCHaystack (I think I will need a lawyer to understand all these rules - Help me Not-Ally, you're my only hope.)
7. TheDragonGirl (I sort of want to do black and brown with some gold highlight, hn, Tazo is black.. )

6. KCHaystack (I think I will need a lawyer to understand all these rules - Help me Not-Ally, you're my only hope.)
7. TheDragonGirl (I sort of want to do black and brown with some gold highlight, hn, Tazo is black.. )
8. not_ally (K, you're on your own, I am waiting until other people ask questions! But I liked your question, it reminded me of Star Wars :) All of my discoloring FOs are brown too, so my soap is going to be brown plus something else.)

8. not_ally (K, you're on your own, I am waiting until other people ask questions! But I liked your question, it reminded me of Star Wars
icon_smile.gif
All of my discoloring FOs are brown too, so my soap is going to be brown plus something else.)
9. doriettefarm (I'm in, I can do this and might have a surprise up my sleeve that isn't brown!)

8. not_ally (K, you're on your own, I am waiting until other people ask questions! But I liked your question, it reminded me of Star Wars All of my discoloring FOs are brown too, so my soap is going to be brown plus something else.)
9. doriettefarm (I'm in, I can do this and might have a surprise up my sleeve that isn't brown!)
10. Commoncenz (Wondering if "Steelers" gold/yellow counts as a "brand"?)

Commoncenz, yes! I was waiting for someone to ask. Football (or other sports!) colors (university and NFL) count towards color "brands" becasue they are HIGHLY recognizable by their colors! :)

Last edited:
Commoncenz, yes! I was waiting for someone to ask. Football (or other sports!) colors (university and NFL) count towards color "brands" becasue they are HIGHLY recognizable by their colors! :)

Whoo Hoo! Somebody is getting an order from me tomorrow then. I have an idea that just may work and will use a fragrance that does not discolor to brown .... hopefully. lol

galaxy - I just had an idea but it involves a discoloring EO instead of a FO and unfortunately it also totally goes against my college team colors. What sayeth you as far as using EOs instead of or in addition to a discoloring FO?

Oh yes, EOs are OK too. I think it should be any scent component! :) I even thought of including discoloring soap oils (like red palm) but I decided against it. I'll update the main thread as we go with these clarifications so there is less confusion. Btw, sorry K about all the rules. I but I like challenges with rules. :)

Hm! Hot topic is black and red, and I cant colour over all of the brown with black right, I have to leave some of it just brown? I'm going to be trying BB's nag champa for the first time, and I already knew it discolours- although I could go with tumblr blue and use my blueberry cobbler..

Yes, please post the brand or logo for what you choose. For example, if you choose to use the colors black and gold like commoncenz mentioned you would say "Steelers Black and Gold" or in my case with the pink "Victoria's Secret Pink". You should be trying your best to match the color.

ETA: Correct DG, you can not color your discoloring FO portion of the batter completely with black. Now, if you wanted to add FO to one portion and color it black then add FO to another portion and not color that portion that is OK. I just need to see at least 1/5th of the batter w/ the FO discolor. From here on discoloring FO will be abbreviated to DFO

Last edited:
Back