SMF Soap Making Challenge: September Discoloring FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point about the gelling, Galaxy. It is kind of frustrating that they don't say, and don't have a seperate sample tray showing it gelled (or non-gelled, as the case might be) at the same time periods. I'm glad you posted this, though, I want my DFO to get as dark as possible as soon as possible this time, so I just went and added "IMPORTANT: CPOP" to my notes for this soap.

Last edited:
Yes, I cpoped this soap just because I wanted to have a vibrant pink. I didn't think it would effect the color/darkness of the DFO. It was neat to watch it change color in the oven on the top. The top was completely brown after only about 10 min in the oven. It was very cool to watch/check on.

I wouldn't want the post-challenge pic thing to be added to the rules, I know folks are busy, just if they were willing to do them. I think it might be useful to actually augment the rules to ask if the soaps are gelled or un-gelled, though. That is easy to add (won't mess up anything for folks who have already made a round) and I think it would be good for learning purposes.

Fridays are usually my "mental health" day here (I'm a SAHM), so today after I ran (my mom watches my 3yo on Friday so I can run a few miles), I did some chores, and made some soap. My first real attempt is done. I left part uncolored with just FO, some just color no FO, and some with FO and color. I'm going with Baltimore Orioles Orange.

Last edited:
This is strange... I would call him. He is pretty easy to talk to ( had to call once) and since its been 3 days without an update/contact of any kind I would say its fair. I kinda want to see if everything is in package I ordered. I'm wondering since a lot of people place orders for the holidays around this time if he's just swamped with orders?

He posts his number on his website and his facebook business page.

I want my DFO to get as dark as possible as soon as possible this time, so I just went and added "IMPORTANT: CPOP" to my notes for this soap.

I did that too! But mostly because I forget things. I need to put a sticky on the cabinet that says 'spritz and cover' too, I think, because I am the worst with that, but I have been getting better.

This is strange... I would call him. He is pretty easy to talk to ( had to call once) and since its been 3 days without an update/contact of any kind I would say its fair. I kinda want to see if everything is in package I ordered. I'm wondering since a lot of people place orders for the holidays around this time if he's just swamped with orders?

He posts his number on his website and his facebook business page.

I sent Mike an email and the next thing I know, about a half an hour later, I received a shipping notification. Even sending it express.

I'll do business with him again.

My design is a pringles can with paper towel tube down the middle. No CPOP for me. Lol.

First thing that came to mind was that old "Dunkin Donuts" commercial: "It's time to make the donuts". Are you using a Fragrance Oil that discolors to brown?

Got my first attempt at the challenge soap done tonight. I decided to use a Pringles can mold because it was handy and I wanted this soap to be round. I also used a different infusion method for the indigo this time, which seemed to do a much better job of reducing the indigo particles down to very fine barely visible silt in the water. With any kind of luck the color will cure out to a clean Tiffanys blue.

I hope it comes out nice. I keep checking it, as if the discoloration will magically appear LOL. No patience with waiting, I want to see the results now. :)

I made my attempt tonight. Dragons blood FO from Essentials of Australia and used red mica and TD with the un-coloured DFO portion. Will post pics in the next couple of days

I used QR Rail as my logo design. This for me is an Aussie symbol. Originally from QLD but now in NSW all the coal trains are QR branded and I see then almost every day. Hopefully my soap comes out resembling the colour on the logo. For the non-Australian soapers here is the logo.

bjE2LcOm.jpg

Last edited:
I am finally back in my apt, it has been almost a month since I last made soap! I feel like I have forgotten every single thing I ever learned, and all of these will be awful. Also, am going to try the mantra marbles technique, which requires using a slab mold, and they have also been so ashy for me. So you guys are in for some nice pictures :)

I think I'm going to use black amber and lavender fo and my colour is going to be cadburys purple. Do you have cadburys in the us? I haven't decided on a swirl yet...too many choices!

I think I'm going to use black amber and lavender fo and my colour is going to be cadburys purple. Do you have cadburys in the us? I haven't decided on a swirl yet...too many choices!

Not as many options as EU though. I visited London once and half my bag was candy on the trip home!

Latest posts

Back