SMF Soap Making Challenge: September Discoloring FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gigi, definitely, definitely ask. Someone else probably has the same one.
Guys! Just ask away! I like answering them!

Sometimes I feel like the insatiable question asker because my brain never stops going off on tangents, so I resist the urge to ask until I've exhausted my research portals, but I'll be sure to ask when I come up stumped! :)

I have a question about adding the FO...say I have 1 oz & am doing a 5% ppo (.5 oz per lb) & have 32 ounces of oils, & remove some batter before adding the FO, would I need to use less FO, & measure how much batter I remove, or use the 1 oz since it's going into the same mold?

I'd fragrance the whole lot and just leave the requisite amount of batter uncolored. No sense in complicating things.

Of course, if your plan is to remove some batter before adding fragrance oil in order to add uncolored and discoloration free batter to the mix, it would still seem like you could add the same amount of FO to the rest of the batter. The thing is that I'd assume that there would still be a chance of "bleeding" of the FO into your color/fragrance free portion.

Last edited:
This is what I am going to do, just to keep things simple enough for my pea brain to deal with it. (1) use a slow tracing mix (castor is the only oil I use that could speed trace, I might reduce that, but probably will not unless my first batch goes wrong); (2) add FO to the oils; (3) take out at least 1/5 of the batter to remain uncolored but fragranced so that I can be consistent with the rules (in my case it, will probably be more b/c I am choosing a swirl where I can use a lot of the DFO to see what happens); (4) separate the remaining batter into the right amount for color batchlets, and add color to them; (5) swirl.

This might not work for the more ambitious, heck, it might not even work for me once I get started and maybe figure out I have made a mistake. But that is the game-plan at this point.

I know I have read this somewhere, but can't find it in the rules. What are the picture requirements? Sorry if this is posted in a really obvious place, but I really can't seem to find it.

I plan on keeping some unscented & most scented to show what a DFO does to colors..I'll have two uncolored, two TD, & two Fanta soda(Tangerine Wow).

I know I have read this somewhere, but can't find it in the rules. What are the picture requirements? Sorry if this is posted in a really obvious place, but I really can't seem to find it.

ditto to this question. I hopefully plan to make a go either later today or over the weekend.

I firstly need to go to the hardware store and get more hinges. I have decided to make a smaller version of the moulds I made the other day but dont have enough hinges left from the pile I bought the other day

Look at that. I don't think I posted that. I think I talked about it in my video but I don't think I posted it. Ok:

I want to see:
1. A picture of your soap when first cut

2. A picture of the soap after discoloration (minimum 48 hours)

3. If you used color in your DFO section for mixing purposes, I need to see the uncolored soap after a minimum of 48 hours so we can tell whether or not it's lighter/darker than the FO color. It would probably be good if both the soap with color and the uncolored soap were in the same picture. :) Remember, this only applies if you have no other section of your soap with your DFO added and no color added.

I think you need
1. a picture of your soap in the mold.
2. a picture when first cut.
3. a picture after 48 hours.

Off topic but ... How long does Mike's usually take to process an order? Tuesday morning I ordered several discoloring fragrances from him so that I could "pick/choose" which one I want to work with. I haven't received an update as far as "it's shipped", "processing", etc. Does he usually supply an email when your purchase ships?

Oddly enough, I ordered from him on Sunday and I got a notification mid day yesterday that it shipped. Usually he is much much faster so I'm not sure what is going on. Both times I placed orders before this they went out the same day! I hope everything is alright. Also, the package says its "picked up" in tracking but it hasn't budged since yesterday...

I am going with Pizza Hut Red because 1) I like red. 2) I work there and 3) my FO is going to be Turkish Mocha, and when you research all things Turkish, the very first color you see is red. I hope the rest of it falls into place that well.....

PIZZA_HUT_0.jpg

Off topic but ... How long does Mike's usually take to process an order? Tuesday morning I ordered several discoloring fragrances from him so that I could "pick/choose" which one I want to work with. I haven't received an update as far as "it's shipped", "processing", etc. Does he usually supply an email when your purchase ships?

Thought I should update you. It says my package is now out for delivery!

Last edited:
It would be kind of nice, on this one, if people were willing to do follow-up pics (after the challenge), maybe at the one month point, to show how much things had changed. I was looking at a couple of discoloration tutes, and was struck by how different the speeds of discoloration are, and it does not necessarily have to do w/the amount of vanilla.

In this link, if you look at the top row, almond biscotti (3.7% vanilla), discolors *really* fast, pretty much immediately, but at two weeks out it is pretty much as dark as it will get. Black Amber and Lavendar (11.5% vanilla) - the one I will probably use in this challenge - discolors much more slowly, but to a much higher degree. Hardly anything right after the pour, tan at two weeks out, but chocolate brown at a month out. http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-b...g-bramble-berry-fragrance-oils-discoloration/

I didn't know that, I have used Black Amber Lavendar quite a bit, but almost always add color ...

Thats interesting. I'd like to know if they gelled those soaps. The soap bits that I didn't gel are still tan/medium brown while the soap that I did gel is an extremely dark brown. It looks like she probably didn't gel those soaps but, I cant find any info on it. I really think that has the biggest effect on color change time.

I think it would be cool to see how the color changes over a month but I would also love to know if your soap was gelled too. It wouldnt be a part of the rules. Just something interesting to see.

Back