SMF Soap Making Challenge: September Discoloring FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either end date is fine by me. I did make another batch last night with a DFO, maybe if it's better, I'll sneak back in and edit my post!! LOL

And I also agree about the challenge, I think it's wonderful. Although I must say I grumbled a few words in frustration of coming up with a logo! :oops:

I understand this is a friendly challenge, and I think most of us don't see it as a serious competition. But for future challenges, I recommend not changing the rules or due dates once established -- or at least not this far down the road. It just seems fair for those who planned around the sideboards given, or who can't/don't check back after the rules are posted. I'm not mad or anything, but I'd hate to see people be alienated by the lack of stability. Anyway, it's not my call so maybe the founders could discuss it for future application. Thanks for hearing me out.:razz:

I'm with everyone else, I don't mind the date change, either one is fine with me. I did my last attempt and don't plan on trying to squeeze another in - I've wasted too much supplies on my miserable failed attempts as it is LOL

Just for chuckles, I'm gonna share my failed attempts here. Feel free to cringe, giggle, tease, and make jokes. I won't mind cuz I've been doing it myself when I look at them LOL

Fail #1 - Looks like a black n white cookie from the bakery, not a bit of tiffany blue in sight, but it does make me want cookies and milk :)
uploadfromtaptalk1443021720385.jpg

Fail #2 - A hot mess for sure. I grabbed the wrong container and poured the DFO portion as the base, when it was supposed to be white, and the blue went weird, coming out green instead of blue. It's a hot mess and is sitting beside my supreme pizza soap to remind me not all my bright ideas are good ones LOL.
uploadfromtaptalk1443021967747.jpg

Epic Fail #3 - Over saturated color combined with going right into gel and getting really hot yields some seriously odd looking soap. The red is pretty, and the fact that the indigo went navy blue is pretty cool, but Tiffany& Co will not be slapping their logo on this ugly beast any time soon hahaha. It too will share space on the Shelf O Shame with its ugly brethren. :)
uploadfromtaptalk1443022230567.jpg

Success (aka attempt#4) - the only one that came even close. The batter got too thick too fast for the lovely wispy swirls I was aiming for, but at least it swirled and the indigo turned out the color I was trying for, and the DFO started darkening quickly. Not the best, but it sure beats its predecessors :)
uploadfromtaptalk1443022522880.jpg

Last edited:
I would looooove for the date to be extended. I've lost my phone, which I need in order to take pictures (Also have lost my camera, I HATE fibro fog!!!!) So once I find my phone (It's been gone 2 days now) and charge it, and can get the pics up. I'll be good. Hopefully it turns up soon. My last pics taken were before the 48 hour mark, so I need one more shot. Ugh. Maybe I can figure out how to take a picture with my Computer, but that's getting way technical. My Kindle is dead, too, since I charge it with my phone charger (which is also lost.) I'm really not sure how I accomplish these things, but I do it all the time. I just found my driver's license after it being gone almost two months (laying half under my blanket chest, really???) And my Social security card, and it's replacement, is gone.

And not_ally thinks 'she' is absent minded........ :shock::shock:

I'm hoping mine discolors more in the next 24 hrs . . . right now it's still looking like pumpkin barf. And my extra surprise looks like it didn't work out because I went too light on the colorant, bummer :(

I also have to razz TVivian about busting out another superb pasito-style soap for the challenge. It's like the caffeinated version of her awesome showcase swap soap so extra bonus points from me!

Please tell me I'm not the only one that thought of this...
6a00e54f7ccc7a88330154360ec151970c-pi

Saponista, apparently ignorance is bliss. It never occurred to me that the CP soap WOULDN'T stick the M&P because you can drop pour M&P into CP with no problems. I waited until the first layer was set up enough to hold it, then poured the M&P directly on top. Before I poured my ITP part, I made certain the M&P was set, spritzed it with alcohol and poured. It gelled as well with no problems, although the gel was not super hot.

This is one of my other attempts but the FO didn't discolor much after weeks! It's espresso which gets dark brown normally but just turned dirty in my soap. What a big fat rip-off. I still like the soap and I get a kick out of the lambs faces inthe side and the hawkish eyes, the lemur and otter inthe other. My Rorschach soap. Holy mackerel, those are big!! How did that happen? Sorry.

IMG_6630.jpg

IMG_6619.jpg

IMG_6621.jpg

IMG_6625.jpg

Last edited:
Saponista, apparently ignorance is bliss. It never occurred to me that the CP soap WOULDN'T stick the M&P because you can drop pour M&P into CP with no problems. I waited until the first layer was set up enough to hold it, then poured the M&P directly on top. Before I poured my ITP part, I made certain the M&P was set, spritzed it with alcohol and poured. It gelled as well with no problems, although the gel was not super hot.

I was wondering how you did it too :)

I still like the soap and I get a kick out of the lambs faces inthe side and the hawkish eyes, the lemur and otter in the other.
I don't see the lambs, I think I see eyes, maybe a rat, no lemur, nor otter..I do however see fingers, feet, a human figure, some bunnies, snakes, a rose, a bearded man with long hair..and a giant eye...I gotta stop, I can look at ceiling tile and picture stuff...I've always had a vivid imagination comes with me also being an artist.

I absolutely love those newbie, how did u pour them? I see fingers and thumbs in the second image and lots of small bones in the last one. Does that make me creepy and weird?

Ahhh! I love all of the soap pics guys! Yesterday I couldn't get anything to load bigger than a tiny thumbnail (on my iPhone) so just now I got to see all of the soaps! They're all so cool and different!

Also... I'm still waiting for a "like" option for smartphone users.

Ahhh! I love all of the soap pics guys! Yesterday I couldn't get anything to load bigger than a tiny thumbnail (on my iPhone) so just now I got to see all of the soaps! They're all so cool and different!

Also... I'm still waiting for a "like" option for smartphone users.

TVivian I don't have a like feature available either because I'm.on my tablet via tapatalk and apparently the smf doesn't have the feature enabled. I can like posts on other tapatalk channels, like on Dish or Craftster, but not on here.

It's that burl pour I showed once with a dreadful color combo, but the technique remains the same. I know a few people tried it but didn't have success but I don't know what went wrong for them.

I personally am not a fan of the like button at all. It feels too much like FB and I've discovered over time how much of a message people take from a like or from not getting a like and it bothers me because the message people take from not getting liked is negative. Please don't be offended if I don't like posts much (I should just not do it at all actually).

PS. Saponista, I'm afraid it makes you a total psychopath. JK!!!

It's that burl pour I showed once with a dreadful color combo, but the technique remains the same. I know a few people tried it but didn't have success but I don't know what went wrong for them.

I personally am not a fan of the like button at all. It feels too much like FB and I've discovered over time how much of a message people take from a like or from not getting a like and it bothers me because the message people take from not getting liked is negative. Please don't be offended if I don't like posts much (I should just not do it at all actually).

PS. Saponista, I'm afraid it makes you a total psychopath. JK!!!

I'm not a fan of the like either!.. But then not having it when many other members do... I worry that people take that as a sign. Just putting it out there that I would "like"every soap photo posted if I could☺️

Back