SMF Soap Making Challenge October: Hidden Feather Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked on Amazon, and found that they range from 6" to 24" in size, so do you just buy the longest ones and mould them to the size you need?

Oh my gosh! I am in love with doriettefarm's entry! It is gorgeous!

You are making me blush afbrat! I thought those skull toppers were an awesome idea until it came time to cut. Let's just say my little wire cheese cutter barely got the job done without smooshing the toppers. And I'm totally in love with this FO. I thought it was too sweet OOB but it's really growing on me . . . can't stop smelling the bars!

K - I think my gear ties are 18" long. They're perfect for the 2lb tall skinny mold I used for my challenge soap but like newbie said you can make them fit pretty much any mold you've got.

Oy vey! Well, that didn't go well at all.
As I'm mixing my oils, I'm thinking "That doesn't look like enough oil for my mold.", but I carried on. As I add the lye water, I'm thinking, "This doesn't look like enough soap for my mold.", but I carry on. As I separate into my lovely new spouted pitchers for my colors, I'm thinking, "This really doesn't look like enough soap for my mold."
Are we seeing a trend here?
Yup, bless my dear little heart, I somehow managed to make half the soap that I needed to fill my mold. Thankfully the numbers are all on, so no risk of lye issues, there just wasn't enough of it.
*Sigh* I ended up using my small tester mold and doing a chopstick swirl. Some things were just not meant to be, and for this month, it was hidden feather soap.

Oh, I miss not_ally, she always calls me K! Wonder why she's not dropping in to post something :(.

Where *is* not_ally? Anyone heard from her recently? I haven't seen a post from her in a bit.... Hope she's okay.... now ya got me worrying.... I go into ghost mode on occasion, where I lurk a lot and don't post much, but she's usually very vocal on here....

Where *is* not_ally? Anyone heard from her recently? I haven't seen a post from her in a bit.... Hope she's okay.... now ya got me worrying.... I go into ghost mode on occasion, where I lurk a lot and don't post much, but she's usually very vocal on here....

I've been wondering this too, I sent her a message through here over a week ago but haven't heard back

She said a while ago she had moved in with her mom and couldn't soap. I wonder if she is just really busy, I hope that's all it is! I miss her too.

I also used gear ties for my hanger. Had to get them shipped from America as I couldn't find any in the uk. They are great if you are doing design challenges as you can bend them easily and quickly to fit any mould.

She said a while ago she had moved in with her mom and couldn't soap. I wonder if she is just really busy, I hope that's all it is! I miss her too.

I also used gear ties for my hanger. Had to get them shipped from America as I couldn't find any in the uk. They are great if you are doing design challenges as you can bend them easily and quickly to fit any mould.

Hopefully that's all it is

Where did you order from, I've found 32 inch twin pack for £4.80 but wondering if there's a better offer out there

I miss NA too, she has a way of making everyone feel capable and important. Bless her, we need her back here, even if she is not soaping.

I want to try this soap design but have a question: The video only shows the hanger going into the mold once and swiping in one direction. Did I miss something? Should it be done twice with a swipe in the other direction?

Thanks.

I want to try this soap design but have a question: The video only shows the hanger going into the mold once and swiping in one direction. Did I miss something? Should it be done twice with a swipe in the other direction?

Thanks.

You only do it once which creates the line down through the middle of the feather. If you did it twice you may end up with a muddled line through your feather and you'd have two tails on you feather

I am seriously hating on life right now. I did one feather swirl and it turned out crap. Every time I attempted to make soap, something came up. For example, Shredder had to go to the vet twice this month for exams and testing. She has Cushing's disease and now has to take medicine every morning. Thank heavens I stopped at the BBQ place one night for a family pack. It came with burger buns. I've been wrapping her pill in a bit of bun and she takes it with no problem. When I tried shoving it down her throat like the vet said, she spit it out all over my bed! Anyhow: long story even longer, I'm trying my second design today, but it won't be hard enough to cut by deadline. I'm gonna post the crap swirl on the official thread. Boo-hoo, woe is me. Thanks, y'all. I feel 1000000% better now!! Oh, one more thing than no one cares about :lol: my inspection is OVER!! We did great and I'm fine for another four years. This was the most relaxed one I've ever had. It's also the first one after my OCD/ADHD diagnosis/medication. Hmmmm.

ETA: the comments from my entry:
There are actually three different shades of pink in the swirl. I used 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 tsp TD to "bleach" the swirl colors and then added 3, 5, 7 drops of the colorant to the three cups. I think my problem is I didn't add enough colorant. They were clearly defined in the cups & I CPOPd to ensure a brighter color. But...oh, well. Scented with pink grapefruit EO. The colorant was pink ultramarine. I'm going to try this again.

Last edited:
I've been having difficulties uploading photos of my soaps onto the official thread via my iPad. I've tried to log in via a computer but I'm unable to remember my password, so it logs me out for 15 minutes! I'm not great on computers. I'm really worried I will miss the challenge deadline. I've tried resetting my password but that hasn't worked either. Does anyone have any ideas because I'm a bit stuck!

I just wanted to say a great big thankyou to Newbie and the SMF team for working so hard to help me load the photos for the challenge. I wish I could give you all a great big hug, but I guess a virtual hug will have to do. You are really all so amazing. from the bottom of my heart, I say Thankyou. :clap:

Back