SMF Soap Making Challenge October: Hidden Feather Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's beautiful! You should replicate that!

Ha! Ha! Before I read that... newbie ...I was thinking....wow, you accidentally get an effect you like then have such a hard time trying to reproduce it!! Your accidents are lovely! :smile:

My dividers came in the mail yesterday (my homemade ones have historically not been a great thing) so I am going to try to make my attempt tonight. It should just be cuttable by the time the thread closes.

gigisiguenza;553573 And thank goodness for the funnel pitchers! They made it so much easier to get into the narrow center channel. :)[/QUOTE said:
I was thinking how people get frustrated with squeezy bottles....I have funnel pitchers also but has anyone seen largish syringes? I know there are lil ones for baby medicine....do large plastic ones exist? It would solve the solidifying soap in bottles??? Just an idea...

I was thinking how people get frustrated with squeezy bottles....I have funnel pitchers also but has anyone seen largish syringes? I know there are lil ones for baby medicine....do large plastic ones exist? It would solve the solidifying soap in bottles??? Just an idea...
Perhaps a turkey baster with a removable bulb top might work?

Last edited by a moderator:
here is my first try...I went with my third try.
temporary_96.jpg

I have used 50ml syringes in the past, you still have to wash them out though and they squirt the batter out with considerable force. Not like a gentle squirt from a squeeze bottle. I used them with needles for intricate work.

Well, I guess I will have to give it another go tomorrow. My second attempt came out alright except for the fact that my two blues, which looked shades different when pouring, look exactly the same shade when I cut it. I think one of the main keys here is contrasting colors. I love the challenge, but had hoped I was done with this technique so I could get back to fumbling around and abusing other techniques too ... lol

11221752_10203575775874222_1046938343712988218_o.jpg

I can see a variation between those blues - one of them looks more turquoise to me

Ha! One IS turquoise!
Jeesh, I'm getting old .. time to go see the optometrist.:Kitten Love:

That said, I think I'll still make another attempt. Suddenly I've got extra time on my hands this week (finished a floor earlier than I thought I would).

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I have a question. I haven't officially signed up for this challenge yet, but I am making a second attempt at it and if I like the result I will sign up and submit it. My question is when you take your hanger are all of you pushing it all the way down straight to the bottom then swiping to the side and then coming up and out, or as you push your hanger down do you pull it slightly toward you and then hit the bottom to give the bottom end of the feather that little pull?

I guess you could do either - if you wanted the tail of your feather to slope to one side then do the latter. In my tutorial I went straight down, along then up the side

I agree with newbie, there are some fantastic soaps. Everyone has really worked hard on these and it shows! We have so many talented soapers here. :)

Also, I really like the shape of your feather snappy, just wondering how you got it to be pointed at the top?

Last edited:
I'm so impressed with some of these soaps! I want to try one more attempt, but I'm not sure I should waste the supplies to be dissatisfied with my colors again LOL. I think I'll wait til tomorrow to decide, I'm too tired right now. I'm sitting at work, waiting for my ride to get here so I can go eat and go home.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1445421283.223783.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1445421293.728238.jpg

This is what happens when your batter is too fluid!

It's ok though as I quite like my first attempt that didn't have enough batter. I just topped it up with some more at the end and it kind of looks like I meant to do that.

Back