SMF Soap Making Challenge October: Hidden Feather Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not get to making a soap for this challenge. I love what everyone is posting though!

I had one more try this afternoon and I'm gutted. I tried something a bit different, but I spent too long creating it and when I came to pull out my homemade cardboard dividers, the soap at the bottom had got stuck and pulled up through everything, likely destroying my design inside. Oh well I will still enter my try with too little batter as the feather is still nice. I just don't have time for another try. I will wait until tomorrow before entering though to see how disastrous today's attempt actually is.

LOL Gigi - I could also turn the bad too fluid attempt sideways and say they were supposed to be angelfish ;) maybe I invented the new angelfish swirl......

Last edited:
I had one more try this afternoon and I'm gutted. I tried something a bit different, but I spent too long creating it and when I came to pull out my homemade cardboard dividers, the soap at the bottom had got stuck and pulled up through everything, likely destroying my design inside. Oh well I will still enter my try with too little batter as the feather is still nice. I just don't have time for another try. I will wait until tomorrow before entering though to see how disastrous today's attempt actually is.

LOL Gigi - I could also turn the bad too fluid attempt sideways and say they were supposed to be angelfish ;) maybe I invented the new angelfish swirl......

Hahahaha yep, that's exactly what you should do... the angel fish swirl :)

Wow! There's some really great feathers being posted. I love all the variety of color combos and the different effects people are getting. It's really making my creative wheels turn thinking of all the possibilities. Beautiful work, everyone! :thumbup:

I also have to thank you, Sonya, for giving us the feather as our challenge. I've learned so much on this one which is exactly the point of having a challenge! :lol:

I didn't get time to get this one, either, I am still playing gypsy, running back and forth between houses, car still in the shop. It's almost finished but now the man is home sick. Maybe next month, but I still plan on trying to learn the technique! Everyone's posting some awesome feathers!!

It's amazing what a couple of days can do for the look of a soap. I wasn't thrilled with my second attempt when it was first cut, but after a couple days sitting, it looks much nicer. I think it's going to be the one I submit for the challenge :)

1. Snappyllama (woohoo I'm first)

2. Saponista (really looking forward to this!)

3. Commoncenz (If at first you don't succeed ... you're probably soaping)

4. TheDragonGirl (Trying should at least be entertaining)

5. BlackDog (First challenge! Woop!)

6. Rparrny (looking forward to my first!)

7. GalaxyMLP (Ive never done a feather swirl...)

8. osso (...it's been a long week)

9. TwystedPryncess (Oh, Lawd. Just, Oh, Lawd.)

10. dibbles (been on my want to try list for a long time-the time has come)

11. KristaMarie (First challenge and first feather swirl!)

12. doriettefarm (my 2nd feather swirl attempt has to turn out better than the 1st, right?)

13. Newbie (quaking in my shoes as everything's been a bust in the last week.)

14. Green soap (can't believe I am doing this.)

15. skayc1 (I've wanted to try this technique for some time now! Oh and Green Soap & I posted at the same time.)

16. SunWolf (woo hoo, I got an idea...time to build a "tall & skinny" mold)

17. Dillsandwitch (Insert witty line here)

18. traderbren (look out birdies- now my soap can have feathers, too!)

19. KristaY (Yipee! County fair is over so I can soap again! Now to shake off the "feather" nerves....)

20. Kumudini ( finally ordered some regular Palm oil, so can think of making white soap with swirls)

21. Gigi (gonna pour n pray lol)

22. MissChief (I guess I did it wrong the first time... oh well, I'm IN)

23. Mrs. Spaceship (Gonna spread my wings and hope to fly!)

24. mintle (no dividers, no hanger to bend, no very slow moving recipe - scared but I go for it!)

25 JuneP New micas and new Palm oil have arrived and will definitely make time to give this a go in the next day or two.

26. Judiraz ( never tried this, should be fun)

27. TeresaT (This challenge has to turn out better than my last two challenge disasters. Doesn't it? Please!)

28. Jules92207 (So gonna have to McGyver this cause I don't have anything I need to do this as elegantly as Sonya...this should be interesting)

29. Soapswirl (last time I attempted something like this - a hidden Christmas tree - was a disaster! Must try harder this time...)

30.Songwind (Sounds like fun. I wanted to learn this technique anyway, so... )

31. Rowan (terrified, but can't resist)

32. Luv2Soap (Hot ****...count me in!!!)

33. Afbrat (Hope it's not too late to enter)

I love the round black parts of krista's entry. I wonder how she got that effect? It would be cool to just do that effect on its own to create an ear of corn type shape.

Maybe the black got thicker than the other batter and held its shape instead of spreading out. I know my AC thickens up faster than other batter. It's funny you made that comment, Saponista, because I was just admiring the effect she got with the different shapes.

Last edited:
Ok I got my second attempt done... whew! And I managed to keep it fluid enough to do it exactly like I was supposed to! I didn't go SB happy this time and I almost forgot to do the dang hanger part UGH LOL. I hope it looks nice when it's done because I tried a color scheme I normally would not try. Keeping my fingers crossed for the cut tomorrow night :)

Gigi,
Nice entry for the competition! I liked the autumn colours and what a great feather!

1. Snappyllama (woohoo I'm first)

2. Saponista (really looking forward to this!)

3. Commoncenz (If at first you don't succeed ... you're probably soaping

4. TheDragonGirl (Trying should at least be entertaining)

5. BlackDog (First challenge! Woop!)

6. Rparrny (looking forward to my first!)

7. GalaxyMLP (Ive never done a feather swirl...)

8. osso (...it's been a long week)

9. TwystedPryncess (Oh, Lawd. Just, Oh, Lawd.)

10. dibbles (been on my want to try list for a long time-the time has come)

11. KristaMarie (First challenge and first feather swirl!)

12. doriettefarm (my 2nd feather swirl attempt has to turn out better than the 1st, right?)

13. Newbie (quaking in my shoes as everything's been a bust in the last week.)

14. Green soap (can't believe I am doing this.)

15. skayc1 (I've wanted to try this technique for some time now! Oh and Green Soap & I posted at the same time.)

16. SunWolf (woo hoo, I got an idea...time to build a "tall & skinny" mold)

17. Dillsandwitch (Insert witty line here)

18. traderbren (look out birdies- now my soap can have feathers, too!)

19. KristaY (Yipee! County fair is over so I can soap again! Now to shake off the "feather" nerves....)

20. Kumudini ( finally ordered some regular Palm oil, so can think of making white soap with swirls)

21. Gigi (gonna pour n pray lol)

22. MissChief (I guess I did it wrong the first time... oh well, I'm IN)

23. Mrs. Spaceship (Gonna spread my wings and hope to fly!)

24. mintle (no dividers, no hanger to bend, no very slow moving recipe - scared but I go for it!)

25 JuneP New micas and new Palm oil have arrived and will definitely make time to give this a go in the next day or two.

26. Judiraz ( never tried this, should be fun)

27. TeresaT (This challenge has to turn out better than my last two challenge disasters. Doesn't it? Please!)

28. Jules92207 (So gonna have to McGyver this cause I don't have anything I need to do this as elegantly as Sonya...this should be interesting)

29. Soapswirl (last time I attempted something like this - a hidden Christmas tree - was a disaster! Must try harder this time...)

30.Songwind (Sounds like fun. I wanted to learn this technique anyway, so... )

31. Rowan (terrified, but can't resist)

32. Luv2Soap (Hot ****...count me in!!!)

33. Afbrat (Hope it's not too late to enter)

Awww man, Judiraz's entry is what I hoped my first feather swirl would look like but it wasn't meant to be.

honeysuckle_feather_swirl.jpg

I love the round black parts of krista's entry. I wonder how she got that effect? It would be cool to just do that effect on its own to create an ear of corn type shape.

Thanks Saponista! I was laughing when I first cut because of the black eyes I saw but I think you're really on to something. A hidden corn stalk would be awesome!

Maybe the black got thicker than the other batter and held its shape instead of spreading out. I know my AC thickens up faster than other batter. It's funny you made that comment, Saponista, because I was just admiring the effect she got with the different shapes.

I agree with you, newbie. I mixed the A/C in water and the micas in oil, and the water colorants always move much faster for me too. When I was layering I had to work much harder getting the black to the edges of the dividers using either the back of a spoon or banging the mold on the counter. My theory is the black thickened faster than the other colors so didn't spread as flat, then basically stayed the same shape when I pulled the dividers up and pushed the hanger down. So I guess I ended up with black-eyed pea feathers, lol.

As much as I love this feather, it isn't my entry. This was attempt #2; the batter was very thin and my colours kind of ran into each other and then drifted when I removed the dividers. I do like it, though; the feather came out quite delicate.

Feather815 by Ev Skae, on Flickr

Really lovely colours and I like the top of the soap too! Nice and subtle.

Who else is still working on an entry this month? Would love to hear from you all as everyone is very quiet!

Last edited:
I've gotten a cold and my cutter broke a few days ago. I really really want to enter this challenge. I'm going to see if I'm better before it ends but, it doesn't look like I will be so I'm probably going to skip it and try it on my own. I'll post pics when I get to it of course. :)

Back