SMF Soap Making Challenge October: Hidden Feather Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I confess I only tried the feather once. I definitely did not get a feather. I was going to do another batch this weekend but honestly I had so much other stuff I needed to get done I didn't have time. I don't know if I will get another attempt in before the deadline but I commend you for this challenge. Its a tough one, and I will say I got a lot closer this time than the first couple times I've tried it before this challenge, so there is that.:smile:

Attempt number three is in the mold in the fridge doing its soapy thing :) I've got my fingers crossed that this one is the one :)

I re-read the rules and I think I misunderstood something when I first read it. For clarification for me, are only feathers allowed? I made my soaps using the techniques but to different effect and I don't have the standard feather.

It needs to be a feather, it can be a fancy feather but still needs to be a feather. I've seen some that have been photographed upside down to look more like trees - this would be fine as it is still a feather

It was this kind of effect I referring to in the rules that is more a flower than feather

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1445235820.363993.jpg

Today is the day, I'm having a first try. Keep everything crossed for me. I really should just go for a straightforward design, but my brain always says 'I wonder what would happen if you tweaked that and did that a slightly different way'.

I think mine don't qualify so I will post them here.

I used dividers and layers but I pulled through the colors in the same direction as the dividers came out. I used each color three times but the layers were very thin and some of the colors had both a high and low water portion, which gives enough variety that they don't necessarily look like the same color. When I pulled my dividers out, I kind of pulled them in and out in hopes that it would give more texture, for lack of a better word, to the leaves and it also pulled the pinks down.

I like the effect I got (lots of crackle though from using my tallow at the bottom of the box) but I don't think they qualify per the rules.

Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 9.35.36 AM.jpg

I will have to sit this one out, too bad - no time until Saturday, and then I would not be able to show cut pictures! it sounds like a hard one though from what I have been reading in this thread. Looking forward to all the pictures.

Attempt #2 is in the mold. I wanted to get to this over the weekend. However, the teen, the "older teen" and especially the dogs kept me busy this weekend. It looks like no matter how this one turns out, it will be my entry. So, fingers crossed.

I think mine don't qualify so I will post them here.

I used dividers and layers but I pulled through the colors in the same direction as the dividers came out. I used each color three times but the layers were very thin and some of the colors had both a high and low water portion, which gives enough variety that they don't necessarily look like the same color. When I pulled my dividers out, I kind of pulled them in and out in hopes that it would give more texture, for lack of a better word, to the leaves and it also pulled the pinks down.

I like the effect I got (lots of crackle though from using my tallow at the bottom of the box) but I don't think they qualify per the rules.

Newbie - I feel that is fine to enter - my rules don't mention how the divider should be removed or in which direction - go ahead and post away in the entry thread!!

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this try. I accidentally took my dividers out before I pulled up. In moving the dividers, I moved my hanger and completely missed all the colors. Bomb!

That's beautiful! You should replicate that!

Ugh I'm so frustrated! Attempt number 2 came out technically correct, but the dang colors are too rich, it looks muddy to me. Sigh.

I guess there will be a third attempt on Wednesday LOL. Maybe third times the charm?

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this try. I accidentally took my dividers out before I pulled up. In moving the dividers, I moved my hanger and completely missed all the colors. Bomb!

Those are awesome! I love those colors, reminds me of a bonfire!

I had two goes today with the same colour scheme. The first batch I decided to use 40% lye conc but forgot that that would mean I had less batter. So now I have a really short squat soap which is going to have a squashed up feather inside. Then I had a second go and I wanted to try and pour really thin layers to get a wispy feather. I think what I will get is a muddy mess though! Try again tomorrow I guess!!! I'm so annoyed at myself.

I love your colour scheme on that miss soap newbie. I love the little touches of white between the colours. I thought about maybe trying a gold or metallic mica line between some of the layers.

Latest posts

Back