SMF Soap Challenge August - Inverted Stamping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponista

Reaction score
Welcome to August's SMF Soap Challenge. This month we will be tackling the inverted stamping technique. The idea is to dip a tool or object into the batter when it is at a fairly thick trace. When the tool is removed, a raised imprint of the shape is left behind on the surface of the soap.
Here is my video tutorial

https://youtu.be/PpgoRwr4bV8

SMF Challenge General Rules
· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
· Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
· The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
· Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The thread will open on 18/08/15 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)
· After the closing date 25/08/15 the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced at the end of the month. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.
· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.
· Newbie, Saponista, Lionproncess00, Sonya-m and GalaxyMLP reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.

Challenge Specific Rules
· You can use either a log mould or a slab
· You may fill the mould in any way you wish
· Your entry must have a design created using trace thickness and an object or tool dipped into the batter to form a raised pattern on the top of your soap surface.
· In the interests of creativity, you may use any item you wish to form the design in the top of your soap. It does not have to be a wire shape as demonstrated in the video, but wire shapes are perfectly acceptable also.
· You may add decoration to the top of your soap eg. glitter or mica, but the raised pattern must still be visible for the entry to count.
· To enter you must submit a photo or video showing your final design with the raised pattern clearly visible and also an image of the tool you used to create the pattern. The soap can be in the mould or cut into bars, as long as you can see the design then that is fine.

Last edited:
I have had this on my "try this" list forever. I'm in!

1. Lionprincess

2. Sonya-m

3. PinkCupcake

I cant wait to try this. Im away on holiday right now and am itching to get home and have a go. So many things to stamp with

1. Lionprincess

2. Sonya-m

3. PinkCupcake

4. Dillsandwitch

Last edited:
Nice video Saponista, this is something I would like to try as well.

1. Lionprincess

2. Sonya-m

3. PinkCupcake

4. Dillsandwich

5. Vkumudini.

Last edited:
This looks fun. Count me in.

This Sign up list

1. Lionprincess

2. Sonya-m

3. PinkCupcake

4. Dillsandwich

5. Vkumudini

6. Balloons

I should have time for a challenge now that my BF has left to go back for Uni.

1. Lionprincess

2. Sonya-m

3. PinkCupcake

4. Dillsandwich

5. Vkumudini

6. Balloons

7. KCHaystack

I'm in, too! Saponista, you were right, you do sound v. young (and v. sweet). Don't get mad now, you know I am a fellow sufferer. Also, you have lovely skin, at least on your hands and lower arms :)

Thanks for demonstrating making the tools, there are not many vids out there on this technique, and none of them show that. Also, it made me realize that the wire I have is probably too thin ...

1. Lionprincess

2. Sonya-m

3. PinkCupcake

4. Dillsandwich

5. Vkumudini

6. Balloons

7. KCHaystack

8. not_ally

Last edited:
Can we use embeds as well (ie; like the little froggies on the Auntie Clara post)? Also, regular, ie; non-inverted stamps? It would be kind of cool to have the impressions go down *and* up in combination, but not sure if that is consistent w/the challenge.

ETA: Also, *so* glad that we don't have to take pics of all the steps like the last challenge, I think I only managed to do that correctly once (of a bunch of tries). I thank you, and so does my poor batter smudged camera (soap batter totally eats the chrome finish off of cameras :)).

Last edited:
I despair at my voice, I'm not actually that sweet either if u get to know me, ask my husband lol! I always struggled to get people to take me seriously in my science career too, I think mainly due to my appearance and and way I sound.

You can use whatever you like in whatever way you please as long as there is some inverted stamping involved, but the idea is to showcase the technique so it should be the main part of your design. :)

I despair at my voice, I'm not actually that sweet either if u get to know me, ask my husband lol! I always struggled to get people to take me seriously in my science career too, I think mainly due to my appearance and and way I sound.

You can use whatever you like in whatever way you please as long as there is some inverted stamping involved, but the idea is to showcase the technique so it should be the main part of your design. :)

I *totally* get this, it was a problem for me, too, in working as a lawyer in a setting where most other people were "master of the universe" macho types. I am also v. small physically and just not that intimidating. That sometimes is good in life - I think it makes people more comfortable w/you - but not in certain work settings. I am not that sweet sometimes, either, espec. when driving in LA :)

Gotcha on having the soap showcase the technique, that is what I thought. I just wanted to make sure we could bring in others to accent.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying learning and trying new things

1. Lionprincess

2. Sonya-m

3. PinkCupcake

4. Dillsandwich

5. Vkumudini

6. Balloons

7. KCHaystack

8. not_ally

9. TheDragonGirl

Last edited:
Oh man! I'd love to try but this month is even more busy than last month and I missed that deadline. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with this time. There were some awesomely beautiful soaps in the last challenge!

I'm totally in, been wanting to try this forever...

1. Lionprincess

2. Sonya-m

3. PinkCupcake

4. Dillsandwich

5. Vkumudini

6. Balloons

7. KCHaystack

8. not_ally

9. TheDragonGirl

10. jules92207

Please can someone add me to the list, I can't figure how to copy and paste on iPad, yeah I am a technophobe and no kids at home to show me how, with their eyes rolling in disgust at my ignorance!!

1. Lionprincess

2. Sonya-m

3. PinkCupcake

4. Dillsandwich

5. Vkumudini

6. Balloons

7. KCHaystack

8. not_ally

9. TheDragonGirl

10. jules92207

11. Janzo

I have been meaning to try this technique for a while so now is my chance!

1. Lionprincess

2. Sonya-m

3. PinkCupcake

4. Dillsandwich

5. Vkumudini

6. Balloons

7. KCHaystack

8. not_ally

9. TheDragonGirl

10. jules92207

11. nframe

Back