SMF Soap Challenge August - Inverted Stamping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the rhibarb link tbeck. The entry link will go up on the 18th (I think that's what I said at the top!)it's not too late to sign up twysted, just add your name to tie list of u want to join in.

I got this at Michaels. It is aluminum, but appears to be painted black... I'll let you know how it goes. It's really easy to bend.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1439318443.421839.jpg

Please please be careful. I would dip one into a "test" batter to see what happens to it before trying it on your real soap. That black paint probably wont provide much of a barrier and if you accidentally make a crack in the paint while bending it you can have a violent reaction on your hands. I probably wouldn't use it even though its coated in paint.

Since the caustic soap will stick to it, it may be even more of a problem. Just have a large bucket of water near your test batter/solution to dunk the wire into if it starts reacting.

Please please be careful. I would dip one into a "test" batter to see what happens to it before trying it on your real soap. That black paint probably wont provide much of a barrier and if you accidentally make a crack in the paint while bending it you can have a violent reaction on your hands. I probably wouldn't use it even though its coated in paint.

Since the caustic soap will stick to it, it may be even more of a problem. Just have a large bucket of water near your test batter/solution to dunk the wire into if it starts reacting.

I did it.. It worked perfectly and absolutely no reaction at all. I even left the wire sitting there with the raw batter on it to see if anything happens. Whatever the wire is coated with is probably equal to a lacquer type paint (nail polish) so I'd recommend that if anyone wants to use aluminum wire, make sure it's the kind that's coated.

As always your results may vary..

Wow, Tvivian, that looks really great in the raw batter. It still looks beautiful in the set up soap but the raw soap pops a bit more. Still really nicely done, really!

I love that pattern. It looks very deco. DId it fall back into the soap as it set or as it saponified over a couple days? IT doesn't look like the trace was too light. that's a knock-out, either way!

Did you have fairly high water content or added vegetable matter tviv? My avocado shampoo bars sank a little, but I had a go on my laundry soap which has zero superfat and no extra additives and the lines came out really well defined. I think it is something to do with the recipe and am guessing that the avocado bars had higher water content as I only put a tablespoon of purée in but didn't reduce my water to account for it.

I made 2. The first was a massive bust. I'll be entering the second soap. I really need a 2 pound loaf because my little 1 pounder from bb just isn't enough to fully showcase things, I feel.

I had intended to use the loaf batch I made tonight for the inverted stamping but once I did the swirl on the top I didn't want to mess it up LOL. Guess that means I'll have to do another batch on Sunday . Oh such a terrible chore hehehe.

This technique is harder than it looks. I've managed two fails so far that are far too embarrassing to show. I'm really starting to think that this technique isn't all that suited for the small batches I make.
I'll make one more go of it today, but then i think I'll throw in the towel.

Last edited:
Don't give up Mrs! I did mine on an individual bar, so it's not the size of the batch, unless your stamp is one that requires a large surface for some reason.

If you can sacrifice a little soap from your next batch, pour a couple of thin layers in individual molds or containers that can be used as molds. You can test the trace and if it will give you a nice line when you pull up by dipping the tip of a knife into the batter near a corner, so it's less obvious. If it comes out of the batter and the "pull up" of soap is very soft and ill-defined, you can tap the small mold on the counter to get it more or less back to smooth. Once it feels like it's holding, you can do a tester of your couple of individuals and then if it's good, you can do your loaf or slab with less chance that the trace won't be correct. The thin layers will likely cool down and therefore thicken faster than your big batch, but you will still get closer to the right texture without marring the surface you intend to use.

Last edited:
I have not yet even tried, have been out of things lately and not soaping. I *did* have a plan for a kind of sea-scapy thing, and have tried twisting wire into sad replicas of sort-of sea looking things, but they are not pretty. I am so not good at this kind of thing. God knows what will happen when I actually put the little sad bits of wire into the soap, it might be good for amusement value, though!

I dint get to have a go yesterday. I spent all morning cleaning the house (it was a total sty. My brother is such a pig) and after I was done my butt found its way to the couch and then the next thing I know I'm waking up and its 6pm. :(

When is the cutoff date? Is it the 18th or the 25th?

Edit: words

Latest posts

Back