SMF Soap Challenge August - Inverted Stamping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tviv, I thought of doing exactly that for mine (the colors, not the squares!)

Were you going to mix the color with oil or glycerine? Or use it dry? Mine was mixed with oil because it's just what I used in the soap.. I think it may work better with just dry mica powder. That's what I'm going to try next.

I was going to try it dry... I figure if it has a very thin coating of mica on it, it will get deposited on the soap easier than if it had some binder to the wire.

Mica sticks to everything so I figure it will stick to my wire just fine!

Loving the entries so far!!

Absolutely adore Newbie's howling wolf!!!

I like this technique - won't be the last time I use it. In fact I plan on making some soap to leave behind for the couple buying our house so am going to stamp 'happy new home' on top

Sonya, that is a lovely thank-you/house warming gift!

All the offical entries are so pretty. For those of you who are twisting your own wire, I have no idea how you are getting them so nice. I can't get a clean angle, or a smooth curve, so the in-between is a lost cause. I don't know if I will be able to steel myself to do this one or not, I will try to do so at least once and if I do, post my results no matter where they go.

Can you find something that is about the diameter of your curve? If you can anchor it so it hold steady, or have someone hold it, you can put your wire around that and pull the wire snug around it or wrap the wire around it, so it take on the curve of the diameter you wish. If you can pinch the wire together with a pliers, then gently pull the wires out close to the pinch point, you can get a fairly decent corner/angle. I hope that's helpful.

Thanks for the compliment, Sonya! Everyone's is so good! You got such beautiful sharp lines on yours in the finished soap, Sonya. You nailed the time to stamp.

I've made my stamps but am deciding which recipe to use for the soap. Is there still time to join?

NA - I found the trick for getting my curves was to only use my pliers in one place and bend from there - if I tried to bend the move and bend again I got a kink - the curve needs to be created from one bend.

Thanks Newbie - timing is definitely key with this technique

Tools are definitely your friends when it comes to bending wire, and it takes practice. Lots. Probably not going to have time to enter in after all, which makes me really sad, but I may throw a pic up somewhere later, like 3 months from now. You guys are doing so awesome! I did get about 8 wire patterns decided on. Peacocks, dragons, leaves, and butterflies. So at least I have something to look forward to. I just have to remember to get out of the wire queen mode and in soapandwire mode and not blow the kitchen up.

There is still time to join if you put up your entry by the 25th.

Don't be disgeartened not_ally. You could find something that is already shaped liked tvivs lovely squares or dragon girls whisk. Then you avoid the wire bending thing entirely!

not_ally I made so many wire stamps and in the end just used the cutters ... I had the same problem of not being able to get the corners as sharp as I wanted them and it was driving me nuts :p

With the entries so far.. I'm again in awe of the talents here!

I have tried 2 times. The first time everything was ok, but the soap is not the black I was looking for, and the design is not very interesting. Last night I tried with a green and I pushed trace too far, so could not stamp. I will try again tonight. 3rd time is a charm right? Ugh

3rd time lucky!!

Cut pics

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1440108186.924639.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1440108199.463852.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1440108214.088642.jpg

First attempt. I don't know if I'll be able to attempt another in time as I have to take my daughter to college and get my son ready for his Senior year. Made this last night and haven't cut it yet. It's scented with Aztec's Black Ice.

Pictures are:
1) The stamp I made. I attempted to twist Ying/Yang signs. The stamps on either end are different sizes.
2) Right after I stamped
3) Today in the mold

Edit: The middle piece is not twisted like the ring. If I were to do this again, I would twist it to give it a thicker imprint in the soap.

full tool.jpg

just poured.jpg

Ready to Cut.jpg

So the last day to enter is the 25th, correct? That's this Tuesday? Just making sure b/c I thought for some reason it was Saturday which meant that I would not be able to submit one...

Latest posts

Back