SMF September 2021 Challenge - Weather Event or Life Event Inspired soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ResolvableOwl Nice job on the soap. The colors are gorgeous. The plan was perfect for the inspiration, so now all you need to do is to figure out how to get crackle. How confident are you that you’re getting the soap temperature where it needs to be? In one of her blog posts, Auntie Clara writes about keeping the oven temp at 140F for 4 hours. I’ve done batches that way twice and the high water batter formed swirly rivers when it was swirled with low water batter. A third batch (different recipe, but also swirled) looked more crackled after being on a heating pad for 2 hours at the high setting with a blanket on top. The soap probably got warmer than it does in the oven because the heating pad setup is usually enough to force my 35-37% lye conc soap into gel. All batches were 1000g of oil in a loaf mold.

I guess we’re getting your rain on the western side of the Atlantic.

How confident are you that you’re getting the soap temperature where it needs to be?
I had put it in a pot with water at 60°C, and this pot into the oven for 1 hour, then wrapped into pillows for a day. Longer thermostat CPOP is (besides getting a more reputable TD, and scaling up the recipe) the only parameter I have left.
Auntie Clara's already is my #1 resource for glycerin river apprenticeship.

I guess we’re getting your rain on the western side of the Atlantic.
Funny enough, mere two hours after my post, DWD filed a weather warning for my region due to severe thunderstorm. It rained 7 L/m². Better than nothing. But the rest of the day was … well … rainforest climate. And yes, forecasts are a promising for tonight.

Why is it a requirement to have made at least 50
posts?
I have no inside knowledge or official capacity, but I think it is a good rule that helps participation in the forum keep it active and vibrant. Posting is a great way to support this forum. The other way that will give soap makers the opportunity to enterThe challenge is to become a supporting member. Supporting members also help to keep SMF active. I became a supporting member last month when I wanted to enter, but was still too new to have enough posts. Since then I have been making soap like crazy, following threads to learn, and posting when I had something to contribute. Hope this makes sense to you! :)

Why is it a requirement to have made at least 50
posts?
As a reference, I quote
SMF Challenge General Rules

1. To enter you must have been a SMF member for at least one month and have a minimum of 50 posts at the time the Challenge is posted (sorry but no exceptions on this). Supporting Members can enter immediately, the time and post requirements are removed.

There are rules for SMF forum members to follow for participation in several areas of the forums, including participation in the official Challenges. The 50 post minimum limit is a rule for participation in certain sub-forums as well, in addition to length of membership on the forum itself. So participation in the Challenges, is less restrictive in it's prerequisites than some other activities. For example, to participate in the General Business Forum here at SMF, not only do you need a minimum of 50 posts, but also you would have to have been a member for a minimum of 3 months. And to post in the classifieds, you must be an Active member (as opposed to someone who signs up and never actively participates) in addition to a membership length and post-count requirement.

The admins developed these rules over time, which I assume was to ensure that members who posted in these forums demonstrated a vested interest in the community and the areas of interest, as well as have been around long enough to learn how the community interacts as a whole. I am not an admin now, nor have I ever been here at SMF, so am not fully aware of all aspects of the whys and wherefores and thoughts expressed among each of the admins at the time, but I have seen folks come and go in forums without regard to how the community as a whole works, and sometimes disruptions occur when that happens. That's basically why forums have forum rules and guidelines for conduct and participation.

As for why 50 posts, I'd say it's to ensure (hopefully) that the person who wants to participate in the Challenges also participates in the forum as a whole and doesn't just join one day, lurk for a month, enter a challenge, and disappear, never to be heard from again. Incidentally, the 50 post minimum is waived as a perk for Forum Supporters (recently added.)

Oh, and just to clarify, the 50 posts rule for the challenges includes 50 posts as of the date/time the Challenge was posted, so if it was posted on the 1st of the month and you had only 40 posts at that time, you won't qualify for that month's challenge.

I made my planned soap for this challenge and it failed. It's not failed to the point of failing as far as soap goes, it just isn't what I planned so I am not using it. I'm not posting a picture yet in case I need to use it as a backup.

I'm doing another soap today with a different inspiration. But I almost started to make soap...then realized that I don't have enough lard. Frustrated. In an hour or so I will be creating my masterpiece.

I came here in a panic thinking that I missed the deadline. I actually dreamed of soap last night...I was lining a wooden mold with freezer paper and it didn't fit and the soap came out all wonky...I have never lined a mold with freezer paper before, so I don't know where that dream came from lmbo.
I gotta say' your entry soap & story moved me like no other' thx for sharing a pieace of your heartfelt memory w/ us. ❤️🤗💫

Hi, folks, just a reminder, one more day to post your entries. For some reason I've been thinking it's a day earlier than it is for a few days now. I supposed I should remind myself of what I learned after becoming a widow many years ago: the first birthday after the death is a hard one, but it gets better each year (brother's birthday is on the 29th). So maybe that's why I'm a little on the ditzy side this month. Hope it clears up soon.

Anyway, I got a head start on the voting survey, since this morning I thought it was tomorrow. :cool:

I had already looked forward to a relaxed voting (3 out of 4, minus myself for modesty, means pleasantly little to decide against); but now the others have opportunity to catch up and make things difficult again. 😁🥰

Argh, it's really getting away from me this month. After the ribcage incident I'm really struggling to work out a better approach, and on top of that I have a sick chicken and my 3d printer is giving me grief.
I'll see what I can achieve before work tomorrow but I don't have high hopes :(

if you choose an individual mold, the design element cannot be solely the shape of the mold, but must include additional design such as swirl(s) and colors.
my 3d printer is giving me grief
Interesting dilemma/inconsistency in the challenge rules … what if one decides to make a silicone mould specifically for the challenge, and then “just” cast it with a simple soap batter? I mean, more commitment and individuality is hardly possible, still it disagrees with the very wording of the rule.

Interesting dilemma/inconsistency in the challenge rules … what if one decides to make a silicone mould specifically for the challenge, and then “just” cast it with a simple soap batter? I mean, more commitment and individuality is hardly possible, still it disagrees with the very wording of the rule.
Oh, I wouldn't think that's within the spirit at all!
Actually the only reason I mentioned the printer is the same as the sick chicken - it's a troublesome distraction keeping me from making soap, not that it was going to be part of the process. (Luckily for the chicken)
I did consider making some custom lace inserts for my standard bar moulds, but again, insufficient time to make that one a reality.

I worked on my soap for challenge today'I'm hoping it turns out' but one never knows. Either way i'm down to the wire & I'll post what I have, At the moment it's tucked in a warm chess getting happy.

Oh crap didn't realize this closes 6:am pst. I'm setting my alarm for 4:am Night everyone. 🙃🤪

Last edited:
Argh, it's really getting away from me this month. After the ribcage incident I'm really struggling to work out a better approach, and on top of that I have a sick chicken and my 3d printer is giving me grief.
I'll see what I can achieve before work tomorrow but I don't have high hopes :(
I hope your feather baby is ok' gosh darn it.

I am afraid I won't be able to have an entry after all, I thought I could squeeze it in today and cut it tomorrow. But a couple of unforeseen circumstances prevented me, and the last couple of weekends have been too hectic. However, on the plus side that means I can go look at the entries now and read all about them!

@Mobjack Bay
I really enjoyed reading your cruise research story. What an adventure! And you told it so well. The soap is so cool looking as well.
@Catscankim your story made me think a lot of similar people I have encountered. I do see hearts as well in the pour, it is a beautiful tribute.
@ResolvableOwl what a cool experiment with all those techniques, a very unique soap and very on point comments about the current weather situation.

@linne1gi Here in the gulf coast we can get our share of hurricanes as well, I can relate! you captured well the gray color of the sky when they land.

@Peachy Clean Soap
Crazy story! I'm so glad you made it out of that trough, might everyone believe what they want what the reason for it was. It made the happy human out of you, that you are now 😅🤗💫
I also like that you keep your “angels” in an abstract fashion, that doesn't force the viewer into a representation of a vision that on haven't had oneself.

And wow, those colours are so bright that it hurts! 😎

The Entry thread is now closed and the voting link has been sent to the participants.

Great soaps, everyone! Awe inspiring, in fact.

Good luck to each of you and thank you so much for sharing your stories that inspired your soaps!

Voting will run from September 28, 2021 (sometime after 1PM GMT) until September 30, 2021 at 8:00 PM GMT.
The winners will be announce soon thereafter (hopefully by 10PM GMT.) In the off chance that all who signed up vote before the closing time, the winners may be announced sooner.

@Peachy Clean Soap
Crazy story! I'm so glad you made it out of that trough, might everyone believe what they want what the reason for it was. It made the happy human out of you, that you are now 😅🤗💫
I also like that you keep your “angels” in an abstract fashion, that doesn't force the viewer into a representation of a vision that on haven't had oneself.

And wow, those colours are so bright that it hurts! 😎
Thank you' 🤩🌈🤗

Beautiful entries' & your stories that you shared completed your soap designs.🧼🤗💞 A big thank you to @earlene for being our challenge Caption' you did a fantastic job. 🤗💫💞.
Peachy, I have to admit your background story for your Wings of Angels soap brought a tear to my eye & my throat tightened up the way it does when I am about to cry. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. What an awful time you and your family had to go through, but what a blessing to come to you in that unique and magical home you were in so temporarily. I hope all who lived there afterward had similarly blessed moments.

Oh, I wouldn't think that's within the spirit at all!
Actually the only reason I mentioned the printer is the same as the sick chicken - it's a troublesome distraction keeping me from making soap, not that it was going to be part of the process. (Luckily for the chicken)
I did consider making some custom lace inserts for my standard bar moulds, but again, insufficient time to make that one a reality.

Tara, I missed your ribcage incident (I'll have to go search and see what's up with that.) No, I didn't miss it after all! Hope you are feeling well and on the mend, as I do for and that your sick chick is on the mend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back