SMF September 2020 Challenge - Marble Stone Inspired Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured I'd share all that I did wrong with Maple Marble.
I wanted it to be a cider soap, split with AVJ, and I planned to divide the batter into 7 large portions, and a small one for TD.
I'd heard hard cider accelerates trace, and the FO I'd picked was rumored to accelerate with no ricing, so I measured them out for the 7 large portions, to accelerate each portion as needed. I wanted lots of veining.
I made my lye solution with an almost 1:1 ratio, and figured my batter might accelerate, but wouldn't be too bad.
Well, my batter accelerated a little more than I expected, but remained pourable.
My FO didn't accelerate. Turns out boiled cider doesn't either. So my batter was accelerating while each portion was going more liquid. Also, the TD portion was accelerating, so mixing that into the decelerated portions didn't really give me the wispy texture I wanted.
So many lessons learned for my next attempt.

Well, that didn't go as planned, did it? And yet, your Autumn Marble soap really is lovely, GemstonePony. I really do like how it turned out.

I find that TD speeds up trace in my soap batters, too, so when I use it in one portion of the batter, I have to add it last or use other colorants that also speed trace. Some shades of certain mica colors are contains TD as part of the mix, so I try to remember to look at the ingredient list in the micas when I use them. Micas & More is really good at including the ingredient list for the micas sold.

ETA: Incidentally, tomorrow is our wedding anniversary, so my husband has scheduled an overnight trip for us to Chicago. Therefore I'll be away from the forum for the next 2 days, but back again on Saturday night (Central Time). It will be the first time I've left Kitty Baby home alone for that long, so I'm sort of glad it'll be raining the whole time. She doesn't like going out in the rain, but I suspect she will be lonely.

We are planning on going to the Art Institute and want to buy my favorite bread at Eataly if the bakery is still making it during the pandemic. I just called and they are only making 6 loaves per day of my favorite bread, so we're going to have to get there early in order to get even one loaf. We usually buy 3 or 4 because it's so hard to find in our area.

Last edited:
Well, that didn't go as planned, did it? And yet, your Autumn Marble soap really is lovely, GemstonePony. I really do like how it turned out.

I find that TD speeds up trace in my soap batters, too, so when I use it in one portion of the batter, I have to add it last or use other colorants that also speed trace. Some shades of certain mica colors are contains TD as part of the mix, so I try to remember to look at the ingredient list in the micas when I use them. Micas & More is really good at including the ingredient list for the micas sold.
Thank you! I knew the TD would accelerate, but that wouldn't have been a problem if everything else accelerated faster as planned. Most of my batter was uncolored. Once the FO and cider were mixed in, (and the portion had gone liquid:rolleyes:), a splash of a color or two of the oil-dispersed Mica and a plop of TD batter were stirred around once before pouring. So, I guess the fact that it was very pourable went horribly well.

1. Catscankim have been wanting to try this technique
2. Primrose - love this style! Hopefully, I don't lose my marbles trying to achieve it ...
3. Arimara - I may fail but at least I'm experienced with this brand of fail. XD
4. Elizevh - Oooh, So Pretty. I can't wait to try this out.
5. dibbles - Hoping I can make something resembling marble
6. MarnieSoapien - Eeeee! I'm super excited to try this technique!
7. Bookreader451 - just got a new slab mold and now I can put it to use!
8. Rogue-Soaper - I would like to try this one.
9. GemstonePony - I'm want to try this technique, but I'm also attracted to sparkles.
10. LilianNoir - I HAVE IDEAS and a brand new slab mold. 🤩
11. Jackie Tobey
12. Gardengeek - short on time this month. Better get started NOW!
13. AliOop - guess I am lucky #13 :D
14. msunnerstood -THIS I can do in HP
15. Anstarx - Just so happened I wanted to make a marble soap lately
16. Louise Taylor - i just want to make a simple one like my chopping board.
17. Tommysgirl - why am I suddenly so nervous?? 😬 Looking forward to the challenge
18. SoapySuds - my plan is to do this with my new molds.

SMF September Challenge - Marble Soap Sign Up List

To add your name to this list, choose Reply & add your name to the bottom of the list, ensuring the next number for the next entrant is also added. Thank you.

2. Primrose - love this style! Hopefully, I don't lose my marbles trying to achieve it ...
3. Arimara - I may fail but at least I'm experienced with this brand of fail. XD
9. GemstonePony - I'm want to try this technique, but I'm also attracted to sparkles.
11. Jackie Tobey
17. Tommysgirl - why am I suddenly so nervous?? 😬 Looking forward to the challenge
19. PeachyMoon - I told myself I'd join in as soon as I was eligible. Here we go!

11. Jackie Tobey
19. PeachyMoon - I told myself I'd join in as soon as I was eligible. Here we go!
20. spowers - Time to give this one a go... hopefully it will be good enough to submit!

11. Jackie Tobey
20. spowers - Time to give this one a go... hopefully it will be good enough to submit!
21. Jersey Girl- Ok...finally decided I’m going to give this a try. 😳

I had something good going on until I unmolded it. I have rock hard bars that I gave me a design idea. Should I use a brush for a mica line? I've never done one

I had something good going on until I unmolded it. I have rock hard bars that I gave me a design idea. Should I use a brush for a mica line? I've never done one
Arimara, I tired to add brushed on mica lines on some of my soaps that the micas lines didn't show well. I was not happy with the result, but I did NOT use a super thin tip brush, as I should have. If you have a super fine tip brush, that you can use, you will surely get better results than I. If you have one that is too thick, you can cut some of the 'hairs' away to create a really fine tip.

When I paint with mica, I like to use alcohol. It holds the mica on the brush so you can paint with it, then evaporates leaving just the mica. You can also use mica in oil, and maybe even mica in glycerin, or even water, I suppose. But I like alcohol better to mica painting.

Awaiting your results.

Arimara, I tired to add brushed on mica lines on some of my soaps that the micas lines didn't show well. I was not happy with the result, but I did NOT use a super thin tip brush, as I should have. If you have a super fine tip brush, that you can use, you will surely get better results than I. If you have one that is too thick, you can cut some of the 'hairs' away to create a really fine tip.

When I paint with mica, I like to use alcohol. It holds the mica on the brush so you can paint with it, then evaporates leaving just the mica. You can also use mica in oil, and maybe even mica in glycerin, or even water, I suppose. But I like alcohol better to mica painting.

Awaiting your results.
Uhm too late? I might submit the soap I made. I'm tired of trying.

Two more days until the Entry Thread opens!

How is everyone doing? I hope you are enjoying yourselves, and those of you using your brand new molds, that's so cool. It's always exciting to get a new tool that fits into a new project.
Stupid question...how do I know if I have the required 50 "postings"? My account info says "55 messages", but I know I haven't started 50 thread posts. Is this message number the same as postings?

Stupid question...how do I know if I have the required 50 "postings"? My account info says "55 messages", but I know I haven't started 50 thread posts. Is this message number the same as postings?
You're eligible. :) It's counting your posts, whether those posts start their own threads or not.

I'm on to the photography stage, which, TBH, is a lot harder than I thought. My entry is more neutral, so it's been a challenge to find a background that doesn't steal the show or make it too busy.
I bought a light box from Amazon. It was pretty inexpensive and not the greatest by any means but, it works for my once a month soap photos. I also use hubby's iphone 11. It has an amazing camera.

I bought a light box from Amazon. It was pretty inexpensive and not the greatest by any means but, it works for my once a month soap photos. I also use hubby's iphone 11. It has an amazing camera.
I wound up buying a large tile from a local home improvement store for a photo background. Lighting was daylight out of direct sunshine, so that was easy, but the hard part was finding the type of background I wanted.

11. Jackie Tobey
21. Jersey Girl- Ok...finally decided I’m going to give this a try. 😳
22. KimW - Weeeeeee

Latest posts

Back