SMF September 2019 Challenge - Linear Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one was my 1st attempt at the Taiwan Swirl freehand. I poured a little white into the mold and then attempted to EVENLY pour my purple, red, green, and black colored soap batter into the white in straight lines—yeah, right lol. You can see just how off I was by viewing the bars: some have a tiny bit of black while other sections got a lot of black poured into it. The same goes for the other colors.

I think my FO caused the batter to thicken a bit after I blended it into each container; oh well. I used a pop cycle stick to make the Taiwan swirls. I usually use a chopstick to make any kind of swirls in my soap but saw a lady using a tongue depressor so I tired what I could locate. I have both but am actually glad I couldn't find the tongue depressor sticks as I think that would have been too large.

I used my loaf mold and made just enough soap batter to be able to get five hunks. I then cut the hunks horizontally. The other two sets I didn’t bring with me when we went out of town last week.

This wasn’t what I was looking but I still like the creatures I found once I cut them into bars. Anyone see an owl (middle) and, maybe, a black and white polar bear (right) wearing a green headband? LOL. The one on the left also looks like an owl also but he/she must have its eyes closed. It’s such fun to cut into soap and see the surprises they hold within!
P9270113.jpg

The entries are gorgeous! Well done, everyone who has entered so far and all who participated (if you have not yet entered.) Steffamarie, your nonpareil swirl is so beautiful! I have really been wanting to give that one a try. I hope when I do get around to it, I have results even half as successful as yours!

I miss participating in the challenge, but I have been so busy preparing for my temporary move, I have not even found time to kept up with the thread. Once settled (next week is the move) I will have so much catching up to do just reading threads!

I was so busy trying to get an entry in I've barely taken the time to look at all the other entries, which is a shame because they're all gorgeous!!
@Primrose, I love how dynamic your soap looks, like an abstract painting!
@dibbles.. I have no words, just marvellous.
@Mobjack Bay I love the idea of a black background! Makes your soap look really cool:cool:
@MarnieSoapien your colors look like dancing like flames!
@Deborah Long so cool how you took inspiration from actual peacock feathers for the colors of your swirl! I like how your last/wavy swirl through is a bit bigger than most peacock swirls I've seen. Makes it look really organic and flowing.
@Kiti Williams I like your minimalistic approach! Minimalistic soaps always look very refined to me.
@Michele50 I'm just blown away by your color combo..
@steffamarie turquoise is one of my favorite colors and the combination with the bronze sparkle is sublime!
Thanks for organizing this challenge @amd ! I think we all stepped up our game this month:)

I was so busy trying to get an entry in I've barely taken the time to look at all the other entries, which is a shame because they're all gorgeous!!
@Primrose, I love how dynamic your soap looks, like an abstract painting!
@dibbles.. I have no words, just marvellous.
@Mobjack Bay I love the idea of a black background! Makes your soap look really cool:cool:
@MarnieSoapien your colors look like dancing like flames!
@Deborah Long so cool how you took inspiration from actual peacock feathers for the colors of your swirl! I like how your last/wavy swirl through is a bit bigger than most peacock swirls I've seen. Makes it look really organic and flowing.
@Kiti Williams I like your minimalistic approach! Minimalistic soaps always look very refined to me.
@Michele50 I'm just blown away by your color combo..
@steffamarie turquoise is one of my favorite colors and the combination with the bronze sparkle is sublime!
Thanks for organizing this challenge @amd ! I think we all stepped up our game this month:)

I’m sure it takes great wizardry to get HP soap to swirl like that! Bravo!

I agree that all of the soaps are just gorgeous this month. It’s so much fun to see what the creative minds come up with!

I’m sure it takes great wizardry to get HP soap to swirl like that! Bravo!

I agree that all of the soaps are just gorgeous this month. It’s so much fun to see what the creative minds come up with!

@szaza I told my husband that someone was brave enough to do a Taiwan swirl through HP; very hard to do since the batter is less fluid. I do some HP but like the CP better and have only tried swirling ONE color, AC. Indeed you were brave and courageous to go for a HP one and succeed. :thumbs:

What a great challenge idea @amd - the entries are all wonderful.
@Primrose - your FO may have accelerated, but I like the result. I love the way the swirls ring the edges of the soap. @Mobjack Bay - the black pops your design so beautifully. @MarnieSoapien - beautiful swirls and lovely color choice. @Deborah Long - your peacock swirl is stunning. Well done! @Kiti Williams - your soft, delicate color choice for the swirls makes me think of marble. @Michele50 - Beautiful color combination, and your soap looks to be so smooth. @szaza - I love that you try so many of these techniques in HP - and natural colors. It's amazing! @steffamarie - your entry is so, so pretty. You nailed that nonpareil swirl!

@amd - I loved this challenge!
@Primrose - A very impressive soap!
@Mobjack Bay - Kudos for using black, it is stunning!
@MarmieSoapien - Your soap has a very sweet motion to it!
@Deborah Long - I love the feathery lines in your soap!
@Michele50 - I love the colors!
@szaza - 2 words, Hot Process! I wish I was that brave!
@steffamarie - I love the effect on your soap!
@dibbles - Wonderful looking soap, I would not use it but put in a dish to admire!

Thank you all for the kind words to my soaps, As this was a first time thing for me, I appreciate your kindness!

Thank you everyone!! I had a lot of fun with this challenge, and it's clear everyone else did too - all the designs were beautiful.

Very well deserved winners! Everybody did a great job, it was a fun one! :D

Here's my non-entry. The batter behaved very nicely and I love the swirl, but the colors didn't contrast enough.. (also HP)
View attachment 41757
Im so impressed with your hp entry. While i normally love the challenge of doing techniques in HP people normally associate with CP. I did not feel i could do this one well and then I saw yours. Nicely done!!

Im so impressed with your hp entry. While i normally love the challenge of doing techniques in HP people normally associate with CP. I did not feel i could do this one well and then I saw yours. Nicely done!!
I think you would definitely be able to do this. It takes some getting used to, but when you soap hot enough (mine went through a controlled volcano because of the heat, which is not something I'd recommend, but if I remember correctly is your HP method of choice?) And if you know your way with HP piping (which I think you've done as well?) You just need to add a bamboo skewer into the mix and voila;)

Back