SMF September 2019 Challenge - Linear Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the result! Not really a linear swirl (yet), but I think there's potential. I think I'll try to enter an HP soap for this challenge!
IMG_20190911_232604.jpg IMG_20190911_232552.jpg

Hey! That is my soap! How funny to see it pop up. That is called a DNA swirl, done in a slab.

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 4.43.29 PM.png
In a loaf, if you swirl soap that is poured in lines running the depth of the mold and cut as you usually do a loaf mold, you'll end up with vertical lines, like the bottom of this soap. They can be broad or very fine depending on how you pour and swirl of course.

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 4.53.29 PM.png

Wow @newbie that's probably my favorite linear swirl soap I've seen so far!
And thanks for the picture of linear swirls in a loaf mold! It has a pretty cool effect!

It must have been a different video. I didn't make one while doing that soap- just took pictures.

Thanks, Szasza! There are so many cool patterns that start with lines and I'm hoping to see some amazing ones this month.

1. szaza - hmmm.. to hp or not to hp?
2. dibbles - I’ll worry about what we can do later. I’m in.
3. MarnieSoapien - This looks like fun!
4. SYT - I'll give it a go!
5. Mobjack Bay - I’m clueless, but I can’t resist!
6. steffamarie - I simply adore swirls like this. Can't wait!
7. Kiti Williams - Can I join?

7. Kiti Williams

Kiti, yes, you have been a member for over a month and have over 50 posts. You're in!

@DeeAnna- so nerdy! Love it as I am a complete nerd myself.

7. Kiti Williams
8. jules92207 - cause what better way to get back into soaping but start a challenge I have no idea how to approach

It’s been a swirling whirlwind in my house. Four batches of soap, 6 different molds, but I still can’t cut a slab without butchering the soap. If there’s an upside, it’s that I now have plenty of trimmings for confetti bars. I’ve also conquered discoloring FOs.

7. Kiti Williams

Kiti, yes, you have been a member for over a month and have over 50 posts. You're in!

@DeeAnna- so nerdy! Love it as I am a complete nerd myself.

Ya hoo!

Hey! That is my soap! How funny to see it pop up. That is called a DNA swirl, done in a slab.

View attachment 41440

View attachment 41439

I think MarnieSoapien is thinking about this video when asking if you uploaded a video of you making this soap because it looked like one she watched.

My thoughts exactly, and such an eye-catching design!!

"....I found that the maker of the video calls 'fleur de lis' that you can find here."

I'm such a curious person, had to look up what 'fleur de lis' meant in English.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur-de-lis:
The fleur-de-lis or fleur-de-lys (plural: fleurs-de-lis, or fleurs-de-lys) is a stylized lily (in French, fleur means "flower", and lis means "lily") that is used as a decorative design or motif.

Not really a linear swirl (yet), but I think there's potential.
Szaza you are getting really close to the look my friend had in her soap! She can't find pics of it unfortunately.

I have yet to make soap - life is a bit crazy for me at the moment. This week should be better for me time wise, but of course the temps are forecasted for 80°F = hot soap dungeon. I may have to take over the kitchen to get this done, lol!

Latest posts

Back