SMF October 2021 challenge - Entry thread (butterfly hanger swirl)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Butterflies are extra special to my 35 year old daughter, who has autism. I like to take her on trips out to the Butterfly Place where we can walk in a greenhouse filled with butterflies. When she was seven she watched a video on the lifecycle of butterflies and memorized it instantly. More than 25 years later she still likes to recite it to people. They are amazed when she tells them butterflies and moths are in the family Lepidoptera, which means scaly winged. She then explains the lifecycle of the butterfly and metamorphosis. Prior to COVID, I ordered monarch chrysalises for her day program. They watched the butterflies emerge, pump up their wings, and then took them outside to release.

The colors for my entry soap were inspired by a plush blue butterfly that my daughter loves and carries everywhere. I chose colors from the back of the pipevine swallowtail’s wings. Keying in on the Lepidoptera theme, I mixed in sparkle mica to represent the scales. Scented with lemongrass EO.

Thank you for hosting this challenge, @Primrose, and for choosing the butterfly swirl!

BD8FBD72-DE27-47ED-B611-8F71066402ED.jpeg
EB8AB8C4-C045-4790-8B72-250CA8702F7C.jpeg
D7B15681-1B1C-4618-BFD4-467500D2C469.jpeg

Last edited:
Been a tough few months for me as my mom passed in August and I haven’t made much soap in a long long time as my heart has not been in it, but I had to try this challenge as mom was the “Butterfly Lady“. She had a big milkweed parch in her yard and raised them every year sharing the eggs with her friends and teaching others about Them. My first attempt was a monarch and while it looked ok, I think this one turned out better. I wasn’t thrilled with these colors for a butterfly as this soap was supposed to be an ITPS for a restock of my Honey I Washed The Kids soap. Last minute, the batter was behaving so well I decided to try the butterfly swirl one more time. I actually love how you can see antennae in this one.
2844766F-2F67-4131-862C-F9A569C3ABAD.jpeg
F226F894-FDFF-4C4B-9BC4-72C182D2103A.jpeg

Back