SMF October 2021 challenge - butterfly hanger swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1. The_Phoenix - What could go wrong?
2. Peachy Clean Soap 🦋
3. dibbles - the elusive butterfly...
4. ScentimentallyYours - Lepidoptera 💕
5. earlene
6. The_Emerald_Chicken - 'Tis in the mold already!
7. Jersey Girl- My very favorite design!
8. Vicki C. Love this.
9. SideDoorSoaps - I'm heading to make this soap NOW!
10. Catscankim - probably going to be unscented lol
11. Cerelife
12. SoapDaddy70
13. Violets2217- 2 birds one stone… Christmas soap, new design, new fragrance….what could go wrong!?!?! 😳😬😁
14. melonpan - going to try and do my first challenge here on the forum!

Look at this BS! Lol! This was my second attempt to use up some discolored lye solution. I actually can’t wait to use it with the Shea & cocoa butter. I think it’s my favorite but it keeps getting darker! I do love dark natural colors. But the family voted and picked my entry & this did not make the cut. Also, I would recommend keeping the bars in loaf order after cutting and cleaning up. I did no such thing and we had fun try to put the loaf back in order to find the matching swirls. It was like a family puzzle night! This was pretty fun and exciting. I didn’t wait long enough to unmold and cut this loaf, so it has lots of drag marks and air bubble spots. I just wanted to see the swirls!
32314D16-FE48-4F06-A547-880B8E7E1587.jpeg
0AE4CFB7-AD8B-4593-A814-A9A009E0F3CB.jpeg
1D3F5A8E-ACC4-4982-87A7-5A9975BEB42E.jpeg
ETA: I need to invest in proper lighting. The bottom photo is most accurate. The first two pics are just bad lighting!

Look at this BS! Lol! This was my second attempt to use up some discolored lye solution. I actually can’t wait to use it with the Shea & cocoa butter. I think it’s my favorite but it keeps getting darker! I do love dark natural colors. But the family voted and picked my entry & this did not make the cut. Also, I would recommend keeping the bars in loaf order after cutting and cleaning up. I did no such thing and we had fun try to put the loaf back in order to find the matching swirls. It was like a family puzzle night! This was pretty fun and exciting. I didn’t wait long enough to unmold and cut this loaf, so it has lots of drag marks and air bubble spots. I just wanted to see the swirls!
View attachment 61681
View attachment 61680
View attachment 61679
ETA: I need to invest in proper lighting. The bottom photo is most accurate. The first two pics are just bad lighting!
Wow' that awesome

Maybe it was a bit of a Freudian slip and BS really stood for you know what.:p
It can stand for "BullShit" Am I allowed to say that here? 🐄 💩. Sorry If I offend'ed anyone' just trying to have fun... 🤗🤣😉

@melonpan
Wish you the best of luck on your first soap challenge. 🤗🧼✨

Last edited:
View attachment 61681
View attachment 61680
View attachment 61679
I jst love your BS. executed beautifully 🦋🤗

I made my first practice run Butterfly Swirl 2 or 3 nights ago in Branson, Missouri, and cut it this morning in Texas. I have yet to cut it, but hope to cut it later today. I planned to use Avocado oil in the formula, but forgot to buy it when I went to the store, but by the time I realized, it was too late to go out and buy more so I had to revise my formula. Then by the time I had re-watched one of the videos (on my phone as on my laptop with my cell-phone's mobile hotspot, the video just would not play), it was close to midnight before I actually started the swirl.

I used a hand-drawn swirl design, but I think I went opposite direction on one of the passes. I was not expecting much in terms of a real butterfly look, and didn't get one, but as a designated practice run, I still like the result. I learned from it, and have another plan that I hope will produce the desired look next time. I am planning at least 2 or 3 more tries. And I did finally get to the store for the Avocado oil.

I'm so frustrated my soap continually accelerates I cant even pour the soap its so thick.

Does anyone know if 'Rancid Lard' would cause the soap to accelerate? i've tried all I know to do & yet again today another batch went south fast.

I reduced the temperature of the oil & lye to 95*, water @ 33%. I only used the hand mixer a few blitz then hand stirred. I increased oils to reduced hard oils ratio, decreased castor to 1%, didnt use any sodium lactate, no clays, dairy the house was @ 70*. The soap looked greasy thick & had a yellow golden color just minutes after adding lye, so strange & frustrating. ugh 😢.

I threw out the possible 'rancid lard' I figured its out of code next month' don't even want to mess w/ it.
Will try again tomorrow w/ the new lard I purchased today. I guess I'll keep eliminating oils & fats tell I find the culprit. I'll keep y'all posted, to be continued.

Update: The Lard was "Rancid" which caused the accelerating!!. Now I'll watch soap for DOS due to "Rancid Lard". They are curing away from my other soap' just for add'ed protection, I may throw all batches in the trash' that was a costly learning experience, which I wont forget.

All in the life of a soaper.. 🧼💫.
New BS batch was fluid & I could swirl it, yay. It's curing in a warm ice chest. lol 🙃😂🤣🦋💫

Last edited:
I've attempted this soap 3 times and finally have a respectable result. My first batch my colors weren't discerning enough after unmolding. The second batch (pictured) doesn't look like butterflies at all, just swirls or blobs as well as mottley color because I didn't dissolve the colorants enough. Interestingly, my indigo showed up purple! The colors are purple Brazilian clay, rose pink clay and indigo. I've decided that the third batch is what I'm entering!

Attachments

• IMG_7087 copy.jpg
    IMG_7087 copy.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 13

2. Peachy Clean Soap 🦋
5. earlene
8. Vicki C. Love this.
11. Cerelife
12. SoapDaddy70
13. Violets2217- 2 birds one stone… Christmas soap, new design, new fragrance….what could go wrong!?!?! 😳😬😁
15. linne1gi -I hope I’m not too late, I have been away visiting my son and baby grandson.

2. Peachy Clean Soap 🦋
5. earlene
8. Vicki C. Love this.
11. Cerelife
12. SoapDaddy70
15. CatandOak- also my first challenge on the forum let's see how this goes!

2. Peachy Clean Soap 🦋
5. earlene
8. Vicki C. Love this.
11. Cerelife
12. SoapDaddy70
15. linne1gi -I hope I’m not too late, I have been away visiting my son and baby grandson.
16. CatandOak- also my first challenge on the forum let's see how this goes!

I'm so frustrated my soap continually accelerates I cant even pour the soap its so thick.

Does anyone know if 'Rancid Lard' would cause the soap to accelerate? i've tried all I know to do & yet again today another batch went south fast.

I reduced the temperature of the oil & lye to 95*, water @ 33%. I only used the hand mixer a few blitz then hand stirred. I increased oils to reduced hard oils ratio, decreased castor to 1%, didnt use any sodium lactate, no clays, dairy the house was @ 70*. The soap looked greasy thick & had a yellow golden color just minutes after adding lye, so strange & frustrating. ugh 😢.

I threw out the possible 'rancid lard' I figured its out of code next month' don't even want to mess w/ it.
Will try again tomorrow w/ the new lard I purchased today. I guess I'll keep eliminating oils & fats tell I find the culprit. I'll keep y'all posted, to be continued.

Update: The Lard was "Rancid" which caused the accelerating!!. Now I'll watch soap for DOS due to "Rancid Lard". They are curing away from my other soap' just for add'ed protection, I may throw all batches in the trash' that was a costly learning experience, which I wont forget.

All in the life of a soaper.. 🧼💫.
New BS batch was fluid & I could swirl it, yay. It's curing in a warm ice chest. lol 🙃😂🤣🦋💫
For me, soaping at 95F would definitely speed up my batter. I usually try to soap at 75-80, but no higher than 85 or I notice it gets thick too fast. Today I made my first butterfly swirl attempt - my oils were at 75, my lye was 79. I used a new fragrance (to me) - Three Wise Men from Nurture Soap and it behaved very well (we will see how the soap looks tomorrow). I used a mix of 50% hard oils, 50% liquid oils and I added silk, sugar, salt to my lye water and heavy cream powder to my oils. I have never seen rancid Lard and frankly I was unaware it could even go rancid in a reasonable period of time. Anyway, I am glad you figured out the reason for your acceleration. Happy soaping!

For me, soaping at 95F would definitely speed up my batter. I usually try to soap at 75-80, but no higher than 85 or I notice it gets thick too fast. Today I made my first butterfly swirl attempt - my oils were at 75, my lye was 79. I used a new fragrance (to me) - Three Wise Men from Nurture Soap and it behaved very well (we will see how the soap looks tomorrow). I used a mix of 50% hard oils, 50% liquid oils and I added silk, sugar, salt to my lye water and heavy cream powder to my oils. I have never seen rancid Lard and frankly I was unaware it could even go rancid in a reasonable period of time. Anyway, I am glad you figured out the reason for your acceleration. Happy soaping!
Thx for your advise' appreciate it. I couldn't believe it took me 4 separate batches of readjusting my recipe each time & not considering it was the "rancid lard" I tossed 3 of the four batches of soap in the trash, I may toss the 4th one out.
I bet your soap will turns out really nice including the scent. I'm really watching my soap' I don't want it to over heat. so far so good.
Forgot to mention I purchased a big cube of lard from Smart & final @ least 9 months ago' I finally took the remaining lard & put it in a 8 pound palm oil container id saved. I put the expiration date on the container' thats how I knew it was going out of code next month. I don't make enough soap to warrant purchasing that much. Not yet' maybe one Day. 💫😃

Last edited:
Thx for your advise' appreciate it. I couldn't believe it took me 4 separate batches of readjusting my recipe each time & not considering it was the "rancid lard" I tossed 3 of the four batches of soap in the trash, I may toss the 4th one out.
I bet your soap will turns out really nice including the scent. I'm really watching my soap' I don't want it to over heat. so far so good.
Forgot to mention I purchased a big cube of lard from Smart & final @ least 9 months ago' I finally took the remaining lard & put it in a 8 pound palm oil container id saved. I put the expiration date on the container' thats how I knew it was going out of code next month. I don't make enough soap to warrant purchasing that much. Not yet' maybe one Day. 💫😃
Sad you had to throw that much soap. Back in the day, 5-6 years ago, I had a big problem with DOS. I added citric acid & EDTA to my soaps, use only distilled water and that has done the trick. Just about killed me throwing away all that soap. I usually buy my Lard from Walmart (6 pounds, I think). 😊

Back