SMF October 2019 Challenge - Mini Drops Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just like @Arimara, if it's not one thing, it's 12 more. I kept trying to get it done but it never happened so I have to apologize to @dibbles for flaking out!

I voted but it was a tough one! Everyone did such a great job and the color combos were striking. No matter who ends up in the top spots, you should all be VERY proud of yourselves!:winner:

@Giangxamar this is the first rule in order to be able to take part in the challenges:
SMF Challenge General Rules
1. To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this).

Right now your post count is at 29, so it's possible for you to get enough posts before the sign-up closes. I'm sorry, but I have to remove your name from the sign-up list for now. Once you are eligible, I hope you will add your name to the list again. We would love to have you join in.
Ohhh no! I did not check the tag on time! I was too busy trying to take picture for the entry. I’ll participate in next month challenge! Thank you!

Congrats everyone! I'm sorry I didn't end up getting a submission in...I've been battling sickness in myself and my kids for the last few months and I just couldn't get up the motivation...

Congrats to all that tried. Whether they signed up or not.
Remember - it's not winning, it's the challenge!
Yes, a "challenge" to become more creative by trying things we might not (on our own) attempt. There a vast number of techniques that require time and effort to master (or at least get good at) so these 'challenges' encourage us to give them a shot. Also, these encourage us to lend assistance and encourage each other, though I think that is the heart of this forum.

Congrats to @bookreader451, @mommycarlson, and @Karmic.

Yes, a "challenge" to become more creative by trying things we might not (on our own) attempt. There a vast number of techniques that require time and effort to master (or at least get good at) so these 'challenges' encourage us to give them a shot. Also, these encourage us to lend assistance and encourage each other, though I think that is the heart of this forum.

That is why I am so excited to try the challenges. I love what I am learning about soap. What I can (and can't) do with it; and how this community encourages all of us on our own journeys. Each person has such a different eye and I have to say I was blown away by the entries. Everyone was so different and that is what makes it so interesting.

Last edited:
OMG I was not expecting to make it anywhere on the list of winners! That really means a lot coming from this group. This was a really fun technique to learn and I'm going to keep playing with it in the future to see if I can get even better with it. But it's great to see how everyone tackled it and I can't wait to see what next months challenge is and of course all the amazing soap everyone shares with us

Great job all.....once again I wasn't able to make any soap but didn't vote either.....what amazing soaps you all did so impressed. I'm still going to try it sometime.
Sorry @shunt2011 things didn't work out for you to try this technique but I bet you'll be successful when you do. And, you'll have as much fun with this one as I did; even the ones that I wasn't 'quite' satisfied with still turned out to be nice enough.

That is why I am so excited to try the challenges. I love what I am learning about soap. What I can (and can't) do with it; and how this community encourages all of us on our own journeys. Each person has such a different eye and I have to say I was blown away by the entries. Everyone was so different and that is what makes it so interesting.

The challengers are awesome opportunities! It thrills me to be part of such an encouraging community of kindred souls (soapmakers) and to learn from other's experiences and expertise. I'm always in awe of the designs and colors competitors create, each unique one from the other despite that it is the same technique. Like you, these allow me to see which skills I've gotten under my belt and which I still need to improve. I can then take what I have mastered and create lovely gifts for my family and soap I really, really enjoy using--pretty to the eye, skin-loving rather than robbing me of natural oils, and scents my asthma and allergies can take.

Congrats everyone! ".....I've been battling sickness in myself and my kids for the last few months and I just couldn't get up the motivation...

I hope you and your children are feeling better now. Autumn/Winter are my worst months for my sensitivities so I can feel for you. I always say that this time of year......lol......until Spring arrives and I enter a new slew of symptoms. Take care, you and your kiddos.

Just like @Arimara, if it's not one thing, it's 12 more. I kept trying to get it done but it never happened so I have to apologize to @dibbles for flaking out!

I voted but it was a tough one! Everyone did such a great job and the color combos were striking. No matter who ends up in the top spots, you should all be VERY proud of yourselves!:winner:

Hope you get to try it soon; if it weren't for the Oct challenge I think it'd still be on a back burner to try. Yes, very hard to choose when voting; in my book, all are topnotch including the practice ones that were made.

OMG I was not expecting to make it anywhere on the list of winners! That really means a lot coming from this group. This was a really fun technique to learn and I'm going to keep playing with it in the future to see if I can get even better with it. But it's great to see how everyone tackled it and I can't wait to see what next months challenge is and of course all the amazing soap everyone shares with us

I've only entered 2 challenges being a newbie to the forum but I was shocked that my name appeared in the list for Sep. I'm right there with ya in it meaning a lot to me coming from this lovely group of soapmakers.

I ended up making this, both were disasters. One ended up looking like throw up.... and the other had a 9:1 water:lye ratio to combat the seizing that happened earlier. It’s still shrinking and warping. It was slightly successful out of the mold, like a combination of jello and velveeta and cut with a kitchen knife. But now it’s shrinking and shrinking and misshapen, possibly from being manhandled and forced to stay in ‘bar’ form instead of a wrinkled sliced thing. I posted them on another thread and felt I had broken the code of ethics if I were to try and post it here, but I did vote. Ah. Well, there’s always next month! All the entries for last month were beautiful! Next time, I’ll throw mine into the mix. Cest la vie.

@SoapySuds You can post any non-entry attempts here on the challenge thread. It's the challenge entry thread that is for entry pictures only. I couldn't find your post with a picture, but I was looking for it to see if you might have said something different about your 9:1 water:lye was a typo. Did you use that much water?

Hope to see you join the November challenge.

Latest posts

Back