SMF October 2019 Challenge - Mini Drops Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The results of making soap in Rube Goldberg version of a 1 lb mold :). I guess I should have lined the half I was using with parchment paper.

1E82B76F-C224-4707-B0B5-47AF5AF11931.jpeg

I thought I would report back on the fate of the “failed” soap I made a two days ago. It’s soft and somewhat grainy, but held up to being cut with a wire. It has crystals (ash? Or citric acid?) on the top and the body of the soap zaps. The mini drop swirl pattern is fine. :) I made two more batches yesterday and both turned out fine. Both batters were pre-trace, but definitely thicker than the first batch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I had an orchestra concert tonight, but then I realized there is no school today and the concert is next Monday... So soap making tonight!
Will be taking a second stab at the mini drop swirl technique. I've been saying that for a week now, but I mean it this time! Also on the list for the week is the fudge brownie soap, and two custom orders.

After 4 attempts, I am declaring myself finished trying :) I have one that is my favorite, although I don't think I nailed it, it's going to have to do. I have soap coming out my ears! LOL
Here are my fails:

#1 is scented with Love Spell from RE. Base is colored with TD, drops are Vanna White and Pow Pow Purple from Mad Micas, Amaranth and Lollipop from Nurture.
I used the squirt bottle technique on this one. Does anyone else see the mouse hanging by his tail in the left bar? Skills.

SMF3.jpg

#2 is scented with Energy from CC. Base color is TD, drops are Peacock Blue, Yellow Raincoat, Pow Pow Purple and Tangerine Orange from MM, Nocturnal from Nurture. I used the Paisley technique on this one, painted the inside of the piping bag with OO from the batch mixed with Maya Gold from Nurture. Poured colors into the bag alternately and then did the "drops" technique....sort of. It was a bit of a disaster, see the next soap for the explanation.

SMF2.jpg

I am struggling adding these photos....sorry.

SMF1.jpg

#3 This one is also scented with Energy from CC. I used Neons from Nurture: Blue, purple, orange, yellow and nocturnal. Also, painted the bag with oil and mica, pouring colors alternately until I filled the bag completely. I didn't realize that when I got to the top and pulled the bag out of the cup that was holding it upright, it would literally still be filled to the top. I'm alone upstairs, hubs has left (so I thought). I stood there in a panic trying to figure out how I was going to cut a hole in the bottom of the piping bag with my 3rd hand. I put the bag back in the cup carefully and ran downstairs to hopefully catch DH before he left, he was still in the basement and I scared the living daylights out of him. haha. I did enjoy that :) After he recovered from his heart palpitations he came upstairs with me and snipped the piping bag, which sent a flood of soap batter all over the top of the soap, the side of the mold and the covered counter top. Soaping is always an adventure with me. So, when I did the other batch, which is the #2 photo, I tried to pay closer attention to how full the bag got. I didn't get it quite as full, but it was uncomfortably close. I adjusted my colors for the next two batches and had plenty of room to grab the top of my piping bag.

@mommycarlson I'm in awe with the effect you got with the paisly technique!! All the soaps are really gorgeous and the second one is actually my favorite. Even if it's not a mini drop swirl in the literal sense I love how dynamic the soap looks!

@mommycarlson -- Boy, if those are your "fails" then I'm REALLY curious to see your entry soap.

I'm still trying to find time to make soap. Between my job ramping up for the holiday season, being dog tired at the end of the work day, and having my loving spouse fill up the rest of my non-job hours with fun things to do together ... it's been a challenge. I'm not complaining because these "problems" are all good things ... but ... :oops:

I've been sick with the worst sinus infection I've had in a long time for the past week and have barely gotten much of anything done. But I'm determined to do another attempt tonight even if I don't end up eligible to compete by the time this is all said and done. I've already got my jug of oils warming and my workspace cleared. I've just got to decide if I'm doing just the 2 lbs for this or if I'm going to make extra for an FO test. I'm leaning towards the test because it's an FO I'm dying to work with but have absolutely no idea if it'll discolor or accelerate

I got a batch done yesterday and cut it this afternoon. The soap is quite pretty in its own way, but it doesn't meet the challenge rules -- the drops of color dropped way too deep. Dagnabbit!

The problem was caused by the squeeze bottles I was using. They're "Fifo" bottles (http://www.fifobottle.com) used in restaurants and fast food places to dispense condiments. At first glance, they seemed ideal, but I learned as I made this batch that the silicone closure on a Fifo bottle requires too much pressure to open. The batter jets out way too hard and travels too deep.

I'd like to use the Fifo bottles again for soap swirls, because they're really easy to clean and safe for use with soap batter, but they're not right for this mini drop swirl and other delicate designs. I might experiment with modifying the silicone closure to see if I can reduce the pressure needed to open it.

If I have the energy one of these next evenings to get another batch done, I'll get 'er done. I did keep my promise about making soap for the challenge, even if it's not quite to spec.

P1030804 a800.JPG

@DeeAnna - nice job! Even though the drops went too deep, this is what the rules said:

The goal is to keep the drop swirl portion in the upper 1/2 to 2/3 of the soap bar. Your entry will not be disqualified if the drops go below this point, but this is what you should strive for. This should also be considered when the time comes to vote on the entries.

You were able to get the mini drop pattern, so if you decide you want to enter the soap it wouldn't be disqualified because the drops went too deep. I wanted people to give this a try and realize it is difficult to judge how deep those drops are going. I hope you get a chance to try again, but if not - your choice on entering this one. It is a very pretty soap!

Thanks, @dibbles! I appreciate the clarification. I'd like to try again if I can -- I'd like to get better at this.

Back