SMF November Challenge 2020 - String Pull Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@earlene in the challenge specific guidelines, it says that the soap bar doesn't have to be made this month. So any soap will do, if I am reading that correctly. The string pull part would have to be done this month. @Primrose has the final say though, in case I'm wrong about that.
I see, you are right, dibbles. I only read Rule #5, but skimmed over and missed this:
Your original bar of soap does not need to be made this month or specifically for this challenge; if you have some spare bars around at home and would like to decorate them with this technique for this month's challenge, that is fine. The string pull part MUST be made during the month of November.

The batter was so thin and uncontrasting there is literally nothing to see :(
Check back on it in a few days. The swirl comes alive as it dries. Mine literally went from looking clear to white after a couple days. These are ones that i did a few months ago before the challenge
49F000CE-343C-49BD-BB6D-B955883D1068.jpeg

Check back on it in a few days. The swirl comes alive as it dries. Mine literally went from looking clear to white after a couple days. These are ones that i did a few months ago before the challenge
That's good to know. I tried it out this morning and it looks like there's hardly anything there!

Another thing, I made way too much soap. My recipe was for 8 ounces of oils and I tried it out on six bars and still ended up making three single-cavity soaps. It's a new recipe I wanted to test so that's ok. I guess I'll try a 3 or 4 ounce batch on my next try.

That's good to know. I tried it out this morning and it looks like there's hardly anything there!

Another thing, I made way too much soap. My recipe was for 8 ounces of oils and I tried it out on six bars and still ended up making three single-cavity soaps. It's a new recipe I wanted to test so that's ok. I guess I'll try a 3 or 4 ounce batch on my next try.
On that same batch, i got nervous that the design looked clear, so i did a few with yarn instead. They ended up too thick...white blobby after they dried. After experimenting with a couple different strings, i have settled on a 6-thread embroidery thread.

I always make too much. I keep my cavity molds handy for extra batter. Just color and fragrance after.

For this challange I made some zanys no slime castile, so i guess i am going to have to make more of that to keep it the same recipe. I made another attempt at an entry that i probably wont use. Not going to post a picture until i am sure i am not using it as an entry.

Here, the two corner ones were with yarn. The clearer ones were with 3 of a 6-thread embroider thread, and the rest are with all 6threads. Uncolored soap

Attachments

• 4BF754CE-65C6-4B3C-90E2-A5C2616AA056.jpeg
    4BF754CE-65C6-4B3C-90E2-A5C2616AA056.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 28
@Catscankim - yours are coming out really nice. I like the blue and white. I'm using some older FO discolored soaps to practice on. I did make some solid colored soap to use when figure out the technique. I tried some kitchen twine that seemed ok but I think I had too much soap on it so I drug a string of stainless beads thru it to pull off the extra. I liked that look, gave it some dimension. Not sure if that qualifies as string since it's made out of metal instead of fabric string/yarn??

so I drug a string of stainless beads thru it to pull off the extra. I liked that look, gave it some dimension. Not sure if that qualifies as string since it's made out of metal instead of fabric string/yarn??

The rules Primrose posted don't specifically include or exclude what 'string' tool should be used. They indicate the technique. IMO a string of stainless steel beads (such as used to turn a light or fan off & on) qualifies, and it is used in the acrylic painting string pull technique by some painters I've seen on youtube. I could be wrong, but perhaps Primrose will verify.

Last edited:
On that same batch, i got nervous that the design looked clear, so i did a few with yarn instead. They ended up too thick...white blobby after they dried. After experimenting with a couple different strings, i have settled on a 6-thread embroidery thread.

I always make too much. I keep my cavity molds handy for extra batter. Just color and fragrance after.

For this challange I made some zanys no slime castile, so i guess i am going to have to make more of that to keep it the same recipe. I made another attempt at an entry that i probably wont use. Not going to post a picture until i am sure i am not using it as an entry.

Here, the two corner ones were with yarn. The clearer ones were with 3 of a 6-thread embroider thread, and the rest are with all 6threads. Uncolored soap
Your soap is Beautiful' 🧼💫. Looking forward to trying this technique' sounds like its tricky from the soap batter to the type of string / thread used.

Primrose: Q? Are we allowed to paint on as seen in third video above' a hint of yellow or is it strictly string pull only?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I have my last batch securely covered with saran wrap and plan to keep them covered until the final entry day. The ash has been horrible so far, so this time I sprayed with alcohol and wrapped about 10 layers all around the platter I have the bars on. I placed cups and bottles on the platter as spacers to keep the wrap off the bars and I tried to make it as air tight as possible. I stopped using alcohol a while back but I'm desperate now! LOL! I hope for NO ASH this time!

I have my last batch securely covered with saran wrap and plan to keep them covered until the final entry day. The ash has been horrible so far, so this time I sprayed with alcohol and wrapped about 10 layers all around the platter I have the bars on. I placed cups and bottles on the platter as spacers to keep the wrap off the bars and I tried to make it as air tight as possible. I stopped using alcohol a while back but I'm desperate now! LOL! I hope for NO ASH this time!
Fingers Crossed 💫🤞🏼

Latest posts

Back